PDA

View Full Version : Help, Fx5200, Fx5200U, Fx5600 What to buy?

Pages : [1] 2

EciDemon
10-17-03, 07:17 PM
Man this is really confusing.
I was thinking about ordering a new gfx card, nothing too fancy as I dont have too much to spend. I currently have a Gf3ti200 Oced at the moment to 230/530

I check a few online stores here in sweden and found that I can afford
Fx5200, Fx5200 ultra, or an Fx5600.
Here is were it gets confusing, the 5200 ultra is faster then the non ultra, i get that much but shouldnt the fx5600 be faster then 5200ultra ?

On top of that, they all seem to have very different memory speeds too, ranging from 350mhz to 550mhz.

Then when I looked here I see ppl who get performance worse then Gf2 :eek: :confused: That really scared the **** out of me

I cetranly do not want one of those!

Im looking at Asus V9560/TD fx5600 right now, seems good to me but is it really "good" ?
Im also looking on Creative 3DBlaster 5 GeForce FX5200Ultra, but it only says 2.8ns memory speed. Would that be faster then Asus 5600 ? (as Ive seen 5200u that is faster then 5600 ... or am I just very confused now)

Please I could use your expertice right about now, I never realized it was this confusing, I never looked into FX cards until now ... *sigh*

Maybe none of the above is the best choice if so could you guys point me in the right direction please ?

-=DVS=-
10-17-03, 08:16 PM
How much cash you got ?

Cose these Fx5200, Fx5200 ultra, or an Fx5600 cards are realy crappy :(

green_meanie
10-17-03, 08:29 PM
If you get a 5600 get a 5600 Ultra, it's the only good 5600 out.

Rytr
10-17-03, 08:46 PM
I'm not familar with the 2.8ns memory but I agree the FX5600U would be the card to get out of the three mentioned. Might want to wait till after the 23rd as more options might become available.

jAkUp
10-17-03, 08:50 PM
definetely the 5600u

Admiral Horror
10-17-03, 09:16 PM
He never mentioned 5600 Ultra. He talks about the choice between 5200, 5200U or 5600.

Still, out of those choises the 5600 is the best one.

Rytr
10-17-03, 09:26 PM
Sorry, I totally missed that. Guess I was thinking too much about the ram...still that 5200U might not be too bad with 2.8ns ram. Should be capable of running around 360MHz maybe more.

cthellis
10-17-03, 09:30 PM
At that range I would almost just make do with a Ti4200. (Heck, find one of the good overclockable ones.) I don't think I've seen a 5200 at any comparative price level where I wouldn't want a 4200 instead.

If you're going to go up to 5600U ranges (and heck, even if you're in 5600 non-Ultra prices most of the time), I'd instead look into a 9600 non-Pro or Pro. Overall you get better performance for less $$$. (And a bit of a safer bet on future DX9 performance than hoping on ForceWare and DX changes.)

EciDemon
10-18-03, 08:25 AM
I thank you all for your advice, I wish I could go with a 5600U.

I found info on both the creative 5200Ultra and the 5600. The ultra version has faster memory speed it says. 650 vs 550mhz.
I have found a site that sells the 5200U at a very good price.

Humm, im gonna think about this for another day... Perhaps I can find a better

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by EciDemon

I found info on both the creative 5200Ultra and the 5600. The ultra version has faster memory speed it says. 650 vs 550mhz.

Would you consider an ATi solution? The 9600 Pros are really quite impressive.

Martrox
10-18-03, 09:19 AM
Given the three choices....how bout none of the above? Save your sheckles and get either a ATI9600pro/XT or 5600U/5700U.....

Rytr
10-18-03, 09:59 AM

It would be a good idea to wait till after the 23rd when the 5700U's come out. Maybe you can find some better prices on the 5600U then.

EciDemon
10-18-03, 12:36 PM
Yeah It might be a good idea to checkout Ati cards too, Lots of users here seems happy with them.

You see I have never had an Ati card ever. Never thoght much about them either *thinking about the older cards*.

Ever since my first riva tnt when they were brand new Ive had nvidia cards. I guess its easy to walk in the same tracks.

I did notice that one can buy non retail Ati cards. Never found nvidia based cards like that. I don't care too much about bundled software and such.

You say that ati 9600 performs about the same as the cards I listed above ?

Its only a speed difference between the pro and non pro right ?

I could also as sugested wait til 5700 is released, given the name I take it that they are faster then 5600, but then again. If I wait and when that card is released, then one can wait a bit longer and get a better card for the same price or wait alittle more ... and so on and so on :D
Im going to place my order on monday I think.

The bottom line is this atleast, I want a DX9 card, It should be alittle faster then my Gf3ti200 (tho its OCed so its more close to Ti500)
If its slower then the new card would feel like a downgrade as there isnt too many games that use DX9 specific effects yet. If there is good performance in FSAA and such that is just a plus, not something I requier as I do not use such very often at the moment anyway.

Oh yeah, I have another question too :o :rolleyes:
Does these cards OC well ? .. like the Fx5200 Ultra ? *Im quite interested in that at the moment, found a good price on Creatives 5200U*
Same question goes to Ati users, Those can be OCed right ?

Im sorry about all these questions, but you guys here knows alot about these things. I wish I could stay on top with the newest gear all the time ;)

B&R
10-18-03, 12:45 PM
FX5700.:D

5600U out of the choices.

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a HUGE difference 'tween a 9600 and a 9600 Pro, and you'll really be wanting the Pro or XT version.

B&R
10-18-03, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I'm pretty sure there is a HUGE difference 'tween a 9600 and a 9600 Pro, and you'll really be wanting the Pro or XT version.

Yeah, if it comes with the new specs(more mem speed) like the powercolor one.

jimbob0i0
10-18-03, 01:06 PM
If you are specifically looking for a DX9 card at this point at that price category there is only 'one' to go for - a 9600pro or XT

There are no NV cards that can be considered for this at this time... especially not the 5200 or 5600!

Martrox
10-18-03, 01:17 PM
Also, since you mentioned FSAA..... Remember, ATI's FSAA walks all over nVidias.... In many cases, ATI's 2X FSAA is very close to what nVidia gives you at 4X. And, IF you have an intrest in the 9600 series, please do yourself a favor and get either the Pro or XT.... In fact, you may be able to get a great deal on a Pro because of the intoduction this week of the XT!

Rytr
10-18-03, 04:17 PM
Maxpower says his 5700 review is scheduled for release on the 23rd. Also, ragejg's 5600U is scheduled on the same date along with the 5900. There will probably be more. ;)

If you can't wait then the 9600P and XT with the right ram is performing very well...almost as good as my 9500P. :D

EciDemon
10-20-03, 02:21 AM
Bah! I think I wait just a little longer :)
If im lucky Ill even get a better price :D ... or more speed per buck.

Once again, I thank you all for your good advices, Now Im gonna go check for tests and reviews on Ati cards.

Feels kind of odd dosen't it ? ... the once so faitful are reliable Nvidia cards. Is it no more ?

I had the impression that lots of the "problems" was due to drivers being ... not as good as they used to be.

Martrox
10-20-03, 05:19 AM
... the once so faitful are reliable Nvidia cards. Is it no more ?

I had the impression that lots of the "problems" was due to drivers being ... not as good as they used to be.

Well...thats part of it. But the major reason for the driver problems seems to be the fact that the FX's architecture is just not competitive with ATI's, so the driver team has had to use cheat....I mean optmizations to make it competitive. Due to this, ATI's IQ is better in most things, and a lot better in some. And, when speaking about DX9, again the FX's shader ability is very far behind ATI's....to the point that with anything below the 5800/5900 it's improbable that it can run DX9 software at usable framerates. Also, there's no comparing FSAA, as in many cases ATI's 2X fsaa is almost as good as the FX's 4X. In fact, I'd give kudo's to nVidia's driver team to get as much as they have out of the FX's abilities, given what they had to work with.

Brick_Top
10-20-03, 08:46 AM
Man this is really confusing.
I was thinking about ordering a new gfx card, nothing too fancy as I dont have too much to spend. I currently have a Gf3ti200 Oced at the moment to 230/530

I check a few online stores here in sweden and found that I can afford
Fx5200, Fx5200 ultra, or an Fx5600.
Here is were it gets confusing, the 5200 ultra is faster then the non ultra, i get that much but shouldnt the fx5600 be faster then 5200ultra ?

On top of that, they all seem to have very different memory speeds too, ranging from 350mhz to 550mhz.

Then when I looked here I see ppl who get performance worse then Gf2 :eek: :confused: That really scared the **** out of me

I cetranly do not want one of those!

Im looking at Asus V9560/TD fx5600 right now, seems good to me but is it really "good" ?
Im also looking on Creative 3DBlaster 5 GeForce FX5200Ultra, but it only says 2.8ns memory speed. Would that be faster then Asus 5600 ? (as Ive seen 5200u that is faster then 5600 ... or am I just very confused now)

Please I could use your expertice right about now, I never realized it was this confusing, I never looked into FX cards until now ... *sigh*

Maybe none of the above is the best choice if so could you guys point me in the right direction please ?

I think you should consider a 9600pro or XT.

Socos
10-20-03, 01:14 PM

You may want to check benchmarks on the games you play for the 5200U.. Most of the benchmarks I've seen the TI4200 smokes it. And you may want to make sure that your Geforce3 doesn't smoke it as well.

I don't know if you'd see that much of a boost in performance.:confused:

EciDemon
10-21-03, 02:55 AM
Thats just the thing, I do not play much on my pc at the moment, I have Ut2k3 but I do not play it no more. Most of the popular benchmark games I do not even have. Quake 3 is in my eyes dead long ago. Heck if I do buy a new gfx card it sure wont be so I can play quake 3.
I want to be able to play the new upcoming games with the cool effects. The screen resolution Im aiming at is 800x600 (I have a small old monitor, so I often play games on my tv actually, were 800x600 is max resolution)
It dosen't need to be very fast or top of the line, Would be overkill for me.

Id like to have DX9 features for upcoming games, but if it is this _bad_ with nvidia cards ...

Juding by the specs of creatives fx5200Ultra I would have alittle bit more speed then on my OCed GF3 yet still I get Dx9 shaders at a good price. (230/530 vs 350/650) I could probably also OC the fx card a bit.

But Im just gonna wait and checkout some ati solutions.

I thoght it all was due to poor drivers and that the FX cards it self were very good. .. but if they are not, how on earth can they justify the price tag on the top line of cards ? Ive seen some that costs almost as much as my computer upgrade did (cpu, memory, mobo, case).

Dang, it is hard to giveup on nvidia, Ive always been so happy with them before. But IF I do get a nvidia card surely it would be better then my Gf3 ? no ? .. fsaa should be faster and such, and it must be better IQ right ?
I have a better insight now but im still confused that after all this time since FX's release, there are still problems....

Martrox
10-21-03, 04:29 AM
EciDemon

Please reread my post ta the top of the page. IF you feel you have to go with a nVidia product, do youself a favor & get a GF 4-4200TI. You will save money, get a card that is faster than any 5200 series in almost all things. DX9 on the 5200 series is almost totally useless, as the cards just don't have the power to utilize it....unless you like playing in the single digets framerate wise.