PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to tell ya that I am switching from the 5900 Ultra to a 9800 Pro.

Pages : [1] 2

ishak540m
10-18-03, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to tell ya that I am switching from the 5900 Ultra to a 9800 Pro. It's on it's way.

pars_andy
10-18-03, 03:58 PM
Great!! Enjoy Half Life 2 in 8 months time!! :rolleyes:

Hellbinder
10-18-03, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by pars_andy
The Pro does not come with HL2.

plus its still not Confirmed that Hl2 will be out in April. Some indications still are that it will make a before Chistmas date.. But.. heck who knows.

Besides I know I am personally all about the FSAA. Likely this guy will be also after he experiences it for himself.

Still.. Dont really see a reason to Switch to a 9800pro from a 5900U at this point. While not perfect the 5900U is not a bad card.
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

TheTaz
10-18-03, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Besides I know I am personally all about the FSAA. Likely this guy will be also after he experiences it for himself.

I dunno why... but to this day I could care less about FSAA, and I sill play games @ 1024x768, with much satisfaction.

Aniso + Trillinear is a different story tho.

Don't get me wrong... if a game is playable with all IQ settings... that's nice... but if I only had the choice between FSAA and Aniso... I'd choose Aniso in a heartbeat. ;)

Taz

DMA
10-18-03, 04:14 PM
Okelidokeli..

I just ordered a pizza and it's on it's way too. (Interesting? Nah..didn't think so)

Yo Hellbinder: What's with the smoking dude in every post? :D

:smoking:

Hellbinder
10-18-03, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by TheTaz
I dunno why... but to this day I could care less about FSAA, and I sill play games @ 1024x768, with much satisfaction.

Don't get me wrong... if a game is playable with all IQ settings... that's nice... but if I only had the choice between FSAA and Aniso... I'd choose Aniso in a heartbeat. ;)

Taz
what Card are you using?

euan
10-18-03, 04:15 PM

Taz
I used to think that... until I got the 9700. Now it's NOAA, no play. AA, or the highway. AF is a standard, set it to 16x and it never needs touched. :rolleyes: I don't even know why they have a slider to let you lower it. :confused:

Hellbinder
10-18-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by DMA
Okelidokeli..

I just ordered a pizza and it's on it's way too. (Interesting? Nah..didn't think so)

Yo Hellbinder: What's with the smoking dude in every post? :D

:smoking:
Its all about my new persona as a Chilled out 50's Style pipe smoking evening jacket wearing Scientist type. You see i have given up my evil out of control fanboy ways. Its a little reminder and I like the emocon and the Stye it represents. So.. ill be using it a lot.

Edge
10-18-03, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it does seem a bit wasteful to drop a 5900u for a 9800pro, unless you can do a straight trade for it. The 9800pro will be faster in a few games, but it's certainly not leaps and bounds above the 5900u in most cases (especially if the reports about the new dets are even partially correct). Not too much of a reasons to switch unless you REALLY want to use max AA/Aniso and it's causing slowdowns in games on the 5900. Or unless you NEED to play Tomb Raider:AOD:rolleyes:

TheTaz
10-18-03, 04:23 PM
what Card are you using?

At the moment... I'm still using my Ti500. Had my daughter's 9600 Pro in my machine for a week. I admit it was really nice to replay RTCW in 4XAA and 8XAF and TRUEFORM! Heh. However, until I upgrade my Ti500... 1024x768 with no AA or AF works fine. Still not sure what "big bad card" I'm gonna get for myself, next. May get a Fall product... may wait until Spring. Depends on how some of the upcoming Fall games run.

/shrug

Taz

-=DVS=-
10-18-03, 04:25 PM
Its all about my new persona as a Chilled out 50's Style pipe smoking evening jacket wearing Scientist type. You see i have given up my evil out of control fanboy ways. Its a little reminder and I like the emocon and the Stye it represents. So.. ill be using it a lot.

Let me guess men in black suits told you to chill or else.. :lol: :kill:

Hellbinder
10-18-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Let me guess men in black suits told you to chill or else.. :lol: :kill:
No not at all.. Over the last few days I had a serious exchgange with kyle on the rage3d forums, Then there was some things some of the posters here said.. Then what happened to Dig.

It simply all came together at the same time and made me rethink my approach and wonder exactly why i was so upset about some things.

More or less I just feel its time for a change of Direction for me and seriously looking at what drives some of my attitudes about certain issues.

Hellbinder
10-18-03, 04:36 PM
At the moment... I'm still using my Ti500. Had my daughter's 9600 Pro in my machine for a week. I admit it was really nice to replay RTCW in 4XAA and 8XAF and TRUEFORM! Heh. However, until I upgrade my Ti500... 1024x768 with no AA or AF works fine. Still not sure what "big bad card" I'm gonna get for myself, next. May get a Fall product... may wait until Spring. Depends on how some of the upcoming Fall games run.

/shrug

Taz
Taz.. In all honesty if you had a 9700pro or 9800pro you would IMO have a completely different outlook on this. Once you see gamma Corrected FSAA at 4x coupled with 16x AF in all your games over even a short period of time.. It is like torture on the eyes when you actually see something without it. Its like this Quiet change that takes place in your perception.

IMO this Generally does not happen even with Current Nvidia hardware because their FSAA Solution leaves Visible jaggies on so much of the screen. Trust me, if the NV40 and its siblings bring a complete FSAA solution to the table there are going to be a whole lot of staunch nvidia users who currently dont *get it* with a whole new outlook on things. Not becuase of Bias. But becuase of their first real Exposure to what Quality FSAA can do.

pars_andy
10-18-03, 04:37 PM
The Pro does not come with HL2.

plus its still not Confirmed that Hl2 will be out in April. Some indications still are that it will make a before Chistmas date.. But.. heck who knows.

Still.. Dont really see a reason to Switch to a 9800pro from a 5900U at this point. While not perfect the 5900U is not a bad card.

Sorry...I was being sarcastic. I pretty much agree with your post.

TheTaz
10-18-03, 04:46 PM
Once you see gamma Corrected FSAA at 4x coupled with 16x AF in all your games over even a short period of time..

Uhm... the AA on the 9600 Pro isn't Gamma corrected? :confused:

Taz

ishak540m
10-18-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by pars_andy

It had more to do with Nvidia's practices of late and it is in fact an inferior product. Not to mention that the flicker fix raised my core temperature by 17 degrees in idle! It slowed the card down a little.

ishak540m
10-18-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Yeah, it does seem a bit wasteful to drop a 5900u for a 9800pro, unless you can do a straight trade for it. The 9800pro will be faster in a few games, but it's certainly not leaps and bounds above the 5900u in most cases (especially if the reports about the new dets are even partially correct). Not too much of a reasons to switch unless you REALLY want to use max AA/Aniso and it's causing slowdowns in games on the 5900. Or unless you NEED to play Tomb Raider:AOD:rolleyes:

I am getting a straight trade for it.

-=DVS=-
10-18-03, 05:06 PM
No not at all.. Over the last few days I had a serious exchgange with kyle on the rage3d forums, Then there was some things some of the posters here said.. Then what happened to Dig.

It simply all came together at the same time and made me rethink my approach and wonder exactly why i was so upset about some things.

More or less I just feel its time for a change of Direction for me and seriously looking at what drives some of my attitudes about certain issues.

Good to hear that :smoking2: :beer:

Now need to wait for R420 and NV40 :p

Rytr
10-18-03, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ishak540m

That's a very good deal! Hope you enjoy it. ;)

As far as the differences between the two I can only tell when I go past 4xAA. When pushed very hard the 9800P still responds and the 5900U struggles (45.23's). I have no heat problems with the 5900U or any other of the reported problems and I have checked it very thoroughly. The 9800P I have is a good one comparing it to the various reviews. It runs very good at 435/375 with 452/390 being max. Above that I begin seeing sparkles and artifacts (esp. in AM3 benchmark).

aapo
10-18-03, 05:54 PM
Then what happened to Dig.

What do you mean? What has happened to Dig?

ginfest
10-18-03, 05:59 PM
W/o going into a big song and dance about all the differences good and bad between both cards, I ended up with my 9800P in my box and right now the 5900 is sitting-the main reason is that the 9800 4xAA looks better to me and performs slightly better at my desired 1280x960 res.
I use both cards with 8xAF along with the AA, the 16x of the Radeon did cause a noticable perf hit for me at that res.

Mike G

Edge
10-18-03, 06:00 PM

Oh, ok, that's pretty good then. If you had to pay much extra then it wouldn't be that great of a deal, but for a straight trade it's worth it. At least now you'll be ready to play Half-life 2 at the highest possible framerates!...well...until the next generation of cards come out (which at this rate may be before Half-life 2 comes out:rolleyes: )

LiquidX
10-18-03, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by aapo
What do you mean? What has happened to Dig?

Some say ATI hauled him off to shrine him as prime example of ATI fan...some say Nvida dragged him off kicking and screaming. Who really knows. Actually Digi is ok but had a little lapse in his health check the open forum.;)

pars_andy
10-18-03, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Edge
At least now you'll be ready to play Half-life 2 at the highest possible framerates!...well...until the next generation of cards come out (which at this rate may be before Half-life 2 comes out:rolleyes: )

After sampling the leaked beta...I'd say it's an absolute certainty that the next gen cards will be out before half life 2.

Rogozhin
10-18-03, 06:55 PM
Doesn't 8x quality af on the 9800p look as good as the 8x quality on the 5900U-don't forget that ati still does 128tap on sloping surfaces within the footprint while nvidia does only 64 tap.

And you should be able to push that OC higher SAM-I'm pushing 445/401 on my 9800NONPRO before I get any snow (only a touch in debev and mothernature-non in the fur demo).

rogo