PDA

View Full Version : Feelining like a guinea pig...Bought a 5950!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

malachi1313
10-18-03, 06:36 PM
Fixing to uninstall the Radeon 9800 Pro and install the BFG which I just bought from Compusa. Gonna stick it in my main rig and then use the 9800 Pro in my sons computer. Consider it an early XMAS present for him. No flames about which is better, I'm curious about the performance and there are certain games that will work better with the 5950. Stalker, Jedi Academy, and pretty much anything OGL. Curious to see if the 5950 plays Chrome better. Oh well, be back later to answer any questions. Cool thing is the Driver cd has a version of Forceware on it. I wonder if Forceware is compatible with all driver sets??

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by malachi1313
Cool thing is the Driver cd has a version of Forceware on it. I wonder if Forceware is compatible with all driver sets??
Forceware? As in "nForce control panel" Forceware?!?!

Please, do tell!

muzz
10-18-03, 07:04 PM
Yeah wth is that?

Dig YGPM.

TheTaz
10-18-03, 07:04 PM
What drivers came on the CD?

And are they WHQL certified?

DMA
10-18-03, 07:31 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/page/software.html

Looks like a whole package with drivers and toys :cool:

Read somewhere that they'll launch it next week together with Detonator 52.16.

Btw, please write a little mini review on the 5950 :p

LiquidX
10-18-03, 07:35 PM
Yeah please update tonight. Start off question.....How much was it? How is IQ, DX performance etc.? Hehe I might be picking one up.:D

TheTaz
10-18-03, 07:48 PM
This "Forceware" crap, looks like typical "Bloatware" that you'd get with a Creative Labs product. LOL

Oh Well. I guess some people like that stuff.

Taz

malachi1313
10-18-03, 07:55 PM
I screwed up, Dig was right. Forceware is the regular lamo control panel and I thought it was the NVsystem utility shown here:http://www.nvidia.com/nzone/index.asp?task=openWindow&miscUrl=/nzone/sources/features/overclocking/index.html I haven't had a chance to test any games but I'm fixing to checkout Chrome{Don't ask},Halo,Tron 2.0,Max Payne 2, Jedi Academy as well as an online multiplayer game I'm beta testing{ditto}. Cd came with the 52.13 drivers and they weren't WHQL'd. I installed the newest ones today. Price was $499.00 and it didn't come with a game bundle{SUXORS!!}. The recession/crappy economy isn't my fault....

TheTaz
10-18-03, 08:04 PM
I screwed up, Dig was right. Forceware is the regular lamo control panel

Eh?

That's not what the nVIdia site sez:

---------------------------------------------

The NVIDIA® ForceWare™ Multimedia application fully integrates all multimedia functionality into a simple-to-use interface. You can record live TV, watch DVDs, burn a favorite TV show to recordable media, listen to music, and even stream content to ForceWare Multimedia clients running on other PCs. Combined with the industry’s highest video quality video and immersive surround sound for TV, DVD, music, and video playback, ForceWare Multimedia delivers the ultimate digital entertainment experience on NVIDIA Personal Cinema™ solutions and NVIDIA GPUs.

TIME-SHIFTED TV
At the heart of the ForceWare Multimedia application is its next-generation TV capabilities. With support for playing, pausing, rewinding, and fast-forwarding live TV, ForceWare Multimedia ensures you will never have to miss your favorite show because of phone calls, door-bells, or other distractions.

PERSONAL VIDEO RECORDER (PVR)
ForceWare Multimedia makes sure you don’t miss your favorite show. If you won’t be home to watch the show, just use the PVR to set future recordings.

ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE (EPG)
Finding shows to watch just got easier with the Gemstar GUIDE Plus+™ system EPG, bundled for free with ForceWare Multimedia.

NETWORKED TV VIEWING
Build a media server with an NVIDIA Personal Cinema and the ForceWare Multimedia application and watch live TV or recorded programs on other client PCs that are connected via a wired or wireless home network.

AN INCREDIBLE DVD VIDEO AND AUDIO EXPERIENCE
Experience immersive Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, or Dolby Pro Logic II* audio and the industry’s most advanced MPEG-2 decoder for crisp, smooth video playback of your favorite DVD movie.

CREATE YOUR OWN TV LIBRARY WITH DVD/CD BURNING
If you have a CD or DVD burner, you can transfer recorded TV shows directly to DVD, SVCD, or VCD. The burn engine links directly to the EPG data allowing you to quickly select by name the programs that you want to record.

*Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II are not available on all versions of the players. Consult the manufacturer or documentation for a full list of supported audio modes.

-----------------------------------

Like I said... looks like Bloatware, to me.

Taz

malachi1313
10-18-03, 08:12 PM
Forceware is everything in one big whale abortion of a package. I wanted the NVsystem utility. Chrome runs smoother and exhibits less texture aliasing than the 9800{That's because sometimes the picture is TOO sharp}. How the hell do I overclock this bitch??? Cool bits or is there anything better??

AthlonXP1800
10-18-03, 08:12 PM
:eek: malachi1313 bought a 5950 before the official launch!!! :afraid:

Tell us more about your new card and how much it cost. :D

I think I never heard of anyone bought the newest hardware before it official launched.

digitalwanderer
10-18-03, 08:17 PM
Forceware is everything in one big whale abortion of a package. I wanted the NVsystem utility. Chrome runs smoother and exhibits less texture aliasing than the 9800{That's because sometimes the picture is TOO sharp}. How the hell do I overclock this bitch??? Cool bits or is there anything better??
RivaTuner has always been my first choice, but I'm using PowerStrip on the AIW 9600 Pro right now since I couldn't find anything else that would work on it under 98se. (Yes, I STILL hate XP. :rolleyes: )

Hey, could you do me a favor and benchmark 3dm2k1se & 3dm2k3 and let us know some numbers? It really would be appreciated. :)

TheTaz
10-18-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
I think I never heard of anyone bought the newest hardware before it official launched.

I *THINK* an ELSA Geforce line launched early, if I remember correctly.

Can't remember if Fry's or Elsa got in trouble or not.

Taz

malachi1313
10-18-03, 08:57 PM
Halo runs as good as my 9800. Have the card clocked to 525/1ghz mem. Was having lock ups at 565 core. It runs pretty smooth using 2.0 shaders. Haven't done the time demo yet{kinda afraid to}. I'll run 3dmark numbers tommorow. Gonna check out Tron 2.0 here real quick and will get back. Did notice in Halo that when your charactewr dies in multiplayer the whole body is showing whereas the 9800 cause parts of the body to be missing or "Hollow" looking. I thought that was a game problem but I guess it's a Catalyst problem. Price was $499 USD

Sledge
10-18-03, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
(Yes, I STILL hate XP. :rolleyes: )

If you only knew the power of the Dark Side :firedevil :D

muzz
10-18-03, 09:33 PM
malachi please keep us updated on your findings with your new card.
I hope you enjoy it.

m

Lezmaka
10-19-03, 01:37 AM
How about a pic of the card?

dan2097
10-19-03, 05:20 AM
Are the default clock speeds of the fx 5950 475/475 (950MHz DDR)?

(Yes, I STILL hate XP. )

98se was almost as good as XP for me i.e. dungeon keeper last time i tried was unstable, some dos programs dont run/some games needed compatability mode.

BUT dawn runs on xp :p (and its marginally faster/marginally more stable)

Dazz
10-19-03, 07:15 AM
Dual boot man :cool:

pars_andy
10-19-03, 07:54 AM
What drivers came with your card?

Sledge
10-19-03, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by TheTaz
AN INCREDIBLE DVD VIDEO AND AUDIO EXPERIENCE
Experience immersive Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, or Dolby Pro Logic II* audio and the industry’s most advanced MPEG-2 decoder for crisp, smooth video playback of your favorite DVD movie.

So NVDVD will be free now? Nice. NVDVD is a very good player.

malachi1313
10-19-03, 08:12 AM
For some reason I can't publish my reults. I got a 7024 in 3d mark 2003 which is 800 points higher than with my 9800 Pro. Card came with the 52.13 drivers but I installed the more recent 52.14's. I don't have a digital camera so I can't take any pix for you guys. Card comes clocked as follows:
In 2d the card runs at 300 core and 950 DDR mem. It throttles upto 475/950 in 3d. I have it set at 525/1gig all the time. Anything over that and I get lock ups and crashes. Runs pretty smooth and I'm impressed...

SurfMonkey
10-19-03, 09:59 AM
If your drivers aren't WHQL'd then you won't be able to post your 3DMark results.

What's the noise level like?

dan2097
10-19-03, 10:35 AM
If your drivers aren't WHQL'd then you won't be able to post your 3DMark results.

Possibly not in the future but for the moment you can, they just wont be listed under the default search.

The reason you cant publish is the orb hasn't had the fx 5950 added. I think 9800 XT users have the same problem.

malachi1313
10-19-03, 04:29 PM
Yeah you're probably right about the 5950 not showing up yet. It came up as a "Generic VGA". I have my card throttled all the time{So the fan is always in 3d mode} and it is maybe just a little louder tha the 9800 Pro. It isn't noticable however. Splinter Cell looks awesome with the Nvidia shadows...Overall it's a great card. I have noticed that textures appear smoother but that might be due to the lowered LOD of the 5950 in games. Jedi Academy looks awesome and plays well also. Off to check out MP2.