PDA

View Full Version : fx5900 vs ATI 9800 pro

cricket
10-19-03, 06:11 PM
i know this is an nvidia forum and most would say buy nvidia not ati products but my question is....everyone seems to think the ati 9800 pro card @ 380/680 speeds is the best card out there.(not including the faster 9800xt) but after reading about the geforce fx 5900/5900 ultrs @400/800-450/850 wouldnt the geforce fx 5900/ultra cards be much better than the ati 9800 pro?
i am thinking of upgrading my geforce 4 ti 4600 card to something better and being an nvidia owner and never have owned an ati product before what would be the best choice? i think the geforce fx 5900 card is even cheaper than the ati 9800 pro card which will also save money if i go that route.

if i was to buy the geforce fx 5900 or 5900 ultra which would be the best manufacturer of this card?

cricket
10-19-03, 06:15 PM
forgot to post my spec's: 2.2ghz pentium 4 /533 FSB, soon to be upgraded to 3.06ghz 768mb rdram geforce 4 ti4600 winxp home 400watt silencer power supply 80gb hard drive

WarheadMM
10-19-03, 06:27 PM
if your happy with nvidia i say stay with nvidia. If you want to go with ATi you may have to format you HDD cause ATi drivers and nvidia drivers dont like each other. Now a FX 5900 will do wonders and with the lastest dets you can playt any game you like right now.

digitalwanderer
10-19-03, 06:28 PM
I would highly suggest you do a bit of homework and find out why all those people are saying the lower clocked 9800 Pro is a much better card than the 5900 Ultra.

You're talking a good deal of money here, it's worth the research. :cool:

Grrrpoop
10-19-03, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by WarheadMM
If you want to go with ATi you may have to format you HDD cause ATi drivers and nvidia drivers dont like each other. Now a FX 5900 will do wonders and with the lastest dets you can playt any game you like right now.
There are plenty of good guides out there for the removal of nVidia drivers, check out Rage3D for starters. I followed advice from several guides and the result is the most extremely stable and high performing games system I've ever owned.

I'm very happy with my 9800np and knowing that HL2 will be running fastest and looking the best on it compared to any other card in its price bracket is very comforting. I'm extremely disappointed in nVidia's driver IQ hacking to create the illusion of competitiveness.

I know this is a nVidia site and those with nVidia cards may be a little defensive, but (and I stress this is just imo) that doesn't mean nVidia is the best choice right now.

In this matter I would look around several review sites and check the benchmarks for current and upcoming games. Find out what will work best in the games you play a lot now, and also in games you intend to play in the near future if possible.

Oh, and what Digi is hinting at is that the ATI hardware can do more per clock cycle than nVidia hardware. Think "Intel vs AMD" where the XP's of 2Ghz are just as potent as P4's rated at 3Ghz. The numbers don't really mean much, so don't rely on those alone ;)

Rogozhin
10-19-03, 07:00 PM
If this is based only on opinion then my O goes to the 9800PRO (the XT is too expensive right now and you can OC a PRO to XT speeds NO PROBLEM), I've built a rig (for a client with a 5900U and didn't notice and speed advantage or IQ benifit over my rig with a 9800PRO).

rogo

cricket
10-19-03, 10:53 PM
i do have the driver cleaner/cab cleaner utility and it does work good when changing my nvidia drivers.
i have read many reviews and until this past week all have been good on the ati 9800 pro card until i read about some peoplehaving problems with the new 3.8 drivers and monitor issues and cards overheating because of the 3.8's. i also read that the fx 5900's were having problems with the new 52.13 drivers.
all the games i play now look great with the ti4600 and i dont think i have ever turned on AA or AF. i just firgured that these newer cards having higher clock and memory speeds would perform better overall. my ti4600 is at default 300core/650 memory speeds and i never overclock, cause i dont have additional cooling in my system. nor do i want to fry a 300-400.00 video card for the slight increase/gains from overclocking.
maybe ill just hold off on this till after i do my cpu upgrade....which is to go from current 2.2ghz/533 FSB to the 3.06ghz/533FSB with hyper threading. im waiting for the price drops on the 3.06ghz/533FSB that are suppose to drop in a week or so. it is currently @ $374.00 but suppose to drop around $262.00 after oct. 26th,2003. i also am upgrading my power supply this week from the 250 watt in there now to a 400 watt, so system will be ready for any new video card that needs the extra juice.

jAkUp
10-19-03, 10:59 PM
i had a 5900... sold it and bought a 9800 pro, im much more happy with my 9800 than i am with my 5900. colors look better, framerates are more stable.. and games are better.

Kihon
10-20-03, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by cricket

all the games i play now look great with the ti4600 and i dont think i have ever turned on AA or AF. i just firgured that these newer cards having higher clock and memory speeds would perform better overall. my ti4600 is at default 300core/650 memory speeds and i never overclock, cause i dont have additional cooling in my system. nor do i want to fry a 300-400.00 video card for the slight increase/gains from overclocking.

Couple of points - AA can make a BIG difference to enjoyment of games - especially if like me you find jaggies annoying (and trust me once you play without them, you WILL notice them when you have not got AA). And secondly for AA, currently the best is ATi R3xx based cards.

One thing that might make NV more appealing is if you play a lot of flight sims, as I understand (barring driver optimisations) NV can offer better AF for flightsims.