PDA

View Full Version : Recording & Digitizing from TV

arise
10-21-03, 09:21 AM
Hi all,
i want basically to be able to put material recorded from TV onto a DVD disc, like my shows, football games, etc...i see two options here:

1. Record to VHS -> digitize the VHS tape using the PC -> burn the video on DVD.

2. Hook up the TV (i have cable) to the video card -> record straight onto the HDD -> burn the stuff on DVD.

Can the ViVo function on certain Nvidia cards help me achieve any of the points above, or do i need an ATI All-In-Wonder to do this? :) Or basically what other options could i have to get my TV material onto Disc?

I currently have a Ti4200 in my system so it's nearing slowly but surely the end of its "life cycle"...will need to upgrade soon.

Thanks in advance!

euan
10-21-03, 12:48 PM
Or buy a TV card.

Out of the three, I'd go the ATI wonder route. The VIVO on the ATI cards is much better than my Hauppauge WinTV card.

GlowStick
10-21-03, 06:26 PM
Hi,

I recnetly got a AIW card, and its pritty cool. If you have cable you will be so much happier, i also recording seaons of my fav shows heh.

Your best route would be a AIW card, because you get a cool remote with it. The only bad thing is the ATi software is complete bloatware and mine crashes alot.

arise
10-21-03, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Hi,

I recnetly got a AIW card, and its pritty cool. If you have cable you will be so much happier, i also recording seaons of my fav shows heh.

Your best route would be a AIW card, because you get a cool remote with it. The only bad thing is the ATi software is complete bloatware and mine crashes alot.

Hmm, here we go again...too bad gfx cards need software, eh? :) A 9800 Pro AIW is an option, maybe a pure PCI TV card another...i'm still debating :(

GlowStick
10-21-03, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by arise
Hmm, here we go again...too bad gfx cards need software, eh? :) A 9800 Pro AIW is an option, maybe a pure PCI TV card another...i'm still debating :( Id like to point out that the AIW also comes with a super Video In breakout box that accepts Svideo or composit, so if you have home movies you wanted to move to DVD you could easily do that too (provided you have a dvd burner)

arise
10-22-03, 04:51 AM
Hmm, can you tell me anything about the performance of realtime MPEG2 encoding on the AIW compared to a PCI TV card? I mean i'm gonna have to encode the stream to something, my HD is not THAT big, lol.

I borrowed a Happauge WinTV-Go from a friend, it's an "old" model, but according to him you can use VirtualDub and encode the stream to MPEG4 in realtime...guess i'm gonna try it today or tomorrow.

The 9800 Pro AIW sure looks sweet...i was just curious if Nvidia has a solution close to the capabilities of the AIW.

GlowStick
10-22-03, 03:22 PM
Hmm, can you tell me anything about the performance of realtime MPEG2 encoding on the AIW compared to a PCI TV card? I mean i'm gonna have to encode the stream to something, my HD is not THAT big, lol.

I borrowed a Happauge WinTV-Go from a friend, it's an "old" model, but according to him you can use VirtualDub and encode the stream to MPEG4 in realtime...guess i'm gonna try it today or tomorrow.

The 9800 Pro AIW sure looks sweet...i was just curious if Nvidia has a solution close to the capabilities of the AIW. well the 9800pro is a powerfull gameing card also, if you dont care about gameing capabilites then nvidia and ati probly arnet much diffrent.

btw, if your capturing video to your hard drive you do need alot of space, id really recomend 80gig at the least, or probly one of those 200gig beasts

arise
10-23-03, 06:29 AM
If i encode in realtime i don't need hundreds of gigs free...according to Cyberlink (PowerVCR II) one hour of DVD quality MPEG2 material takes around 1.8 GB...

GlowStick
10-23-03, 09:32 AM
If i encode in realtime i don't need hundreds of gigs free...according to Cyberlink (PowerVCR II) one hour of DVD quality MPEG2 material takes around 1.8 GB... Yeah, thats about average, but here is the catch, once you record one show, then another, and another and i want to keep them all : D