PDA

View Full Version : How does the community feel about FX5900's with 700mhz RAM?

ragejg
10-21-03, 01:12 PM
I'm currently reviewing a Creative Europe FX5900, which is clocked @ 400/700... Autodetect gets me 425/750, and that's about it. I'm not horribly disappointed, but I know that a lot of other 5900's (even PNY's) are clocked higher...

This RAM speed difference may be a cost-cutting factor, and may help this specific card arrive to market with a nice price...

I need some nvnews community feedback on this topic...

particleman
10-21-03, 01:56 PM
As long as they sell it for less, and they name the product so the customer clearly knows what he is getting I have no issue with it.

ragejg
10-21-03, 02:00 PM
The "700" is pretty big on the box... they're not trying to fool anybody...

Rytr
10-21-03, 02:32 PM
I think the gpu is still the most important as far as overall speed. I only experience about 10% performance increase overclocking the 5900U in UT2K3, and most of that comes from the gpu overclock. While most everyone wants the fastest ram as possible it is a major cost factor.

ragejg
10-21-03, 02:55 PM
Yeah, the core will probbly do a lot better once I sand the lettering off and replace the white goop with some AS3/AS5...

For down the road, I'm also investigating the practicality of removing the flip-chip heat spreader... but I don't know if the huge-mungous heatsink setup supplied by creative will still suffice...

Hellbinder
10-21-03, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
The "700" is pretty big on the box... they're not trying to fool anybody...
Well being that "700" is really "350" I would say that it is a marketing attempt to fool people. But then agian.. lots of Companies do that with DDR ram. Especially those touting 9600XT's from like powercolor with "760" MHz ram..

I wish it really was 700 or 1050 MHZ ram.. then we would all really have something to talk about. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

Hellbinder
10-21-03, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Rytr
I think the gpu is still the most important as far as overall speed. I only experience about 10% performance increase overclocking the 5900U in UT2K3, and most of that comes from the gpu overclock. While most everyone wants the fastest ram as possible it is a major cost factor.
AA performance will benefit most from Bandwidth. The higher the resolution the higher the AA the more the memory has an impact. AT normal resolutions and moderate IQ levels the Core has the biggest impact. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

Rytr
10-21-03, 09:20 PM
I agree about bandwidth supplied by the memory being the prime factor. However, without a fast, efficient gpu providing instruction it is nothing. The difference between 700 and 1050MHz on the memory is significant but 700 vs 760? Now <100 FPS increase would make a difference in benchmarking but in gaming maybe what? 8-15 FPS depending on the system (e.g., all the other varibles) and the game being played.

I am a habitual overclocker! Whew, there I admit it!!! However, I don't believe that I am in the majority when it comes to people buying video cards to play their games. What a gamer wants, above all else is a card that provides stability along with good performance in the games they play.

Again, high speed ram is very expensive and boost the price of the card upwards. Of course, a year ago 5ns ram was the speed merchant, now what is it? 2.0 - 2.2ns....guess we will know more Thursday, eh?

ragejg
10-22-03, 12:38 AM
Ok, this card must be bipolar or something... I autodetected it tonite, and it went all the way to 475/853... Artifacts right off the bat in 3dmk2k3... I kept backing it down until the artifacts were gone, and have settled with 450/805... which is a decent 11% core and 13% memory speed improvement... Far more worth it than before...

This just went from a "relatively poor" overclocker to a "good overclocker" ...

Allowed it to pop over the 5k mark on my present setup...

5052 isn't too dang bad for an old kt266a with 512mb of PC2100 and a stocker XP2400...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1459893

Rogozhin
10-22-03, 12:47 AM
I was wondering what a 5900nonu could do, thanks for the link ;)

mine

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1437851 (nonpro)

rogo