PDA

View Full Version : Bestbuy has FX5700 ultra DDR2 in store


stefan567
10-21-03, 09:40 PM
I was in Bestbuy today and they had a EVGA FX5700 Ultra DDR2 for sale for 199.99. Anybody know anything about this card and why it uses DDR2?

TheTaz
10-21-03, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by stefan567
I was in Bestbuy today and they had a EVGA FX5700 Ultra DDR2 for sale for 199.99. Anybody know anything about this card and why it uses DDR2?

You saw a FX5700 in Best Buy and you didn't take note of the clockspeeds or anything???

ChrisRay
10-21-03, 09:57 PM
So I guess it is set at a 199 dollar pricetag.

stefan567
10-21-03, 10:10 PM
Clocks not listed on Box. Was a limited edition DDR2 card form EVGA. Said 128Bit, 128MB on box. They also had BFG FX5900 Non Ultra for 249.99.

Hellbinder
10-21-03, 11:02 PM
Wow.. If i is at 199$ with DDR-II thats pretty impressive. Clearly a Sign that Nvidia is making a run at keeping its market lead.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

stefan567
10-21-03, 11:08 PM
Yea with the FX5900 Non Ultra going for 249.99 you would think the 5700 would be cheaper then it.

GlowStick
10-21-03, 11:19 PM
dude, if i were u id buy em and put them on ebay.

heh.

any pics?

ChrisW
10-22-03, 12:16 AM
What is so good about it having DDRII? :confused:

The Baron
10-22-03, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by ChrisW
What is so good about it having DDRII? :confused:
You will probably get an overclock on the RAM the likes of which the world has never seen...

Martrox
10-22-03, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
You will probably get an overclock on the RAM the likes of which the world has never seen...

Not really..... DDR2 runs hot! Even ATI has backed away from it - was used on their 9800Pro 256 meg, but they are using standard DDr on the new 9800XT! Only advantages to it is 1) cheap - no one is using it! 2)lower latiencies......

ricercar
10-22-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ChrisW
What is so good about it having DDRII? :confused: With DDR2 on my 5800 Ultra, I no longer need a space heater to keep my apartment warm in the winter.
:dance:

LabRat
10-22-03, 12:57 PM
$199 is tempting enough for me to try one. I'll be near a BEst Buy this saturday, hopefully they will have a few there.

-=DVS=-
10-22-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by stefan567
Clocks not listed on Box. Was a limited edition DDR2 card form EVGA. Said 128Bit, 128MB on box. They also had BFG FX5900 Non Ultra for 249.99.


128Bit bus , now it can't be a killer card at all ;)

saturnotaku
10-22-03, 02:26 PM
And doesn't DDR-II have slightly higher latency than DDR-I or am I just talking out me arse? :confused:

Ady
10-22-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Martrox
Not really..... DDR2 runs hot! Even ATI has backed away from it - was used on their 9800Pro 256 meg, but they are using standard DDr on the new 9800XT! Only advantages to it is 1) cheap - no one is using it! 2)lower latiencies......

Doesn't DDR2 have higher latency than DDR1?

The Baron
10-22-03, 03:46 PM
Latencies ARE higher.

But, does DDR2 still run massively hot if you're not using the higer-capacity chips like on the 5800 Ultra and 9800 Pro 256?

Ady
10-22-03, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Latencies ARE higher.

But, does DDR2 still run massively hot if you're not using the higer-capacity chips like on the 5800 Ultra and 9800 Pro 256?

Well by comparing the cooling on the 5700 (ddr) & 5700U (ddr2) I would take a guess that it still runs massively hot. Does it also require more power?

TimeOut
10-22-03, 05:07 PM
My guess is that nVidia must be using the piles of DDR-II chips they reserved/bought for the FX 5800.

Martrox
10-22-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ady
Doesn't DDR2 have higher latency than DDR1?

Yep...you're right...so the only reason for ddr 2 is it can be had cheaply!

kyleb
10-22-03, 06:22 PM
ya, they are probably getting a deal on it because it has issues.

The Baron
10-22-03, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by kyleb
ya, they are probably getting a deal on it because it has issues.
might just be from no one really using DDR2 and that there are considerable supplies left over.

bkswaney
10-22-03, 06:29 PM
I never had any problem with my 5800u and it's ddr2.
Tho it was super hot.

I have to agree with keeping the house warm in the winter. ;)