PDA

View Full Version : What [H]ard has to say

bkswaney
10-21-03, 10:27 PM
have had more than a few of you email in and ask who is at NVIDIA this week seeing their dog and pony show about upcoming NVIDIA cards. I assume this was prompted by Anand's weblog post.

Right now Derek is out visiting NVIDIA and a bunch of game developers. I don't have a list of who made the final cut yet but there were some big name developers that were supposed to be at the meeting (I saw it as a response to ATI's Valve/Shader Day).

The fact of the matter is that no staff from HardOCP is at the NVIDIA offices for their event. I for one am growing a bit tired with some of the marketing techniques the video card companies employ and saw no reason for us to be there. After all the cheating scandals this year, drawing conclusions from what a timedemo tells us just is not good enough anymore, and it should not be for the consumer either. Besides we are busy with lots of GFFX 5950 and 5700Ulra work currently.

When it comes right down to it, there is nothing that NVIDIA can do or say this week that will change the gaming experience that their cards deliver. We have the card, we have the driver, and we have the games. That is all we need.. If there is information that NVIDIA needs to share with us that is going to change the end users experience with their video cards or is going to directly impact the way we evaluate that experience, then they certainly know where to find us in order to let us know.

We at HardOCP are all here working diligently, making sure we will have the best review we can write about the GFFX 5950 on Thursday morning. We are working diligently to remove the marketing from our reviews. We are working diligently to make sure our evaluations are reflective of real-world gameplay. This all takes a lot of time and we are hoping that our readers are truly benefited by the changes we are making and we hope that many others in our industry follow suit.

Also, as a side note, our 5700Ultra review will not be published till Monday morning. We need more time to evaluate the gaming experience that it delivers and are not going to push out a review too quickly so that we simply make an NVIDIA assigned embargo date and have it “posted first” along with a myriad of others. Simply put, we would rather get it right, than have it first. And we are banking on our readers appreciating that and showing their support.

Sazar
10-21-03, 10:45 PM
interesting...

better late than never I spose...

I usually just read b3d's reviews anyways... even if they are a few days after others...

but still... interesting :)

StealthHawk
10-22-03, 12:40 AM
This is what I like to see. Reviewers delaying reviews because they need more time to properly evaluate the card. [H] reviews have been getting better in the last few months. Same with Toms. [H] is probably has the best reviews out of the Big Three.

rth
10-22-03, 01:15 AM
:rolleyes: review hype

this is just like game makers - "it'll be done when it's done, we want to deliver the best, it'll be worth the wait, we're not like 'the others' "

we'll see...

Uttar
10-22-03, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by rth
:rolleyes: review hype

this is just like game makers - "it'll be done when it's done, we want to deliver the best, it'll be worth the wait, we're not like 'the others' "

we'll see...

But... But...
You know, the reason I won't make the 25th of October ETA for ULE is that I want to deliver the best and that it shouldn't be like the other BS on the web :P :angel:

More seriously, I've been delayed by factors completely independant of my own free will.

---

Regarding [H]. Very impressive. Maybe I should start visiting them again - I'll make sure to look at their NV38 and NV36 reviews too!

Uttar

bkswaney
10-22-03, 01:59 AM
I've been reading hards reviews over the past year and they do seem to be getting better. :)

I cannot wait till thur for the reviews. :D

Hanners
10-22-03, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
Also, as a side note, our 5700Ultra review will not be published till Monday morning. We need more time to evaluate the gaming experience that it delivers and are not going to push out a review too quickly so that we simply make an NVIDIA assigned embargo date and have it “posted first” along with a myriad of others. Simply put, we would rather get it right, than have it first. And we are banking on our readers appreciating that and showing their support.

How many times have we wanted to hear these words about a review? A victory for common sense here, if nothing else - Take as long as it takes to write a good review, don't race to be first.

zakelwe
10-22-03, 06:19 AM
It does sound promising doesn't it. Whatever you think about Kyle he has visited the web site forums and although he has stood his ground and of course is a [H]ard ass ( maybe too hard ? :) ) he does seem to have taken on board the prevailing mood. I can't actually think of another webmaster who has done that apart from maybe MikeC here at nvnews.

Here's an interesting thing about Kyle, I bet he gets an awful lot of mail, some of it probably not complimentary ! LOL but he tends to reply more than other web people . Same with Ed Stroglio at www.overclockers.com who is equally, if not more, opinionated and not afraid to hide his light under his bushel. He tends to reply as well although he must get hundreds of emails.

I've emailed Anandtech about 10times and never got a reply.

Regards

Andy

Socos
10-22-03, 06:54 AM
I'll reserve Judgment until the review is posted. While I have been against giving [H] any extra hits since their UT2003AF editorial I understand that people can be swayed to see the light.
If the review clearly looks at IQ and not just which card has the bigger bars then I am all for it. Lots of DX9 is what I am about because my 8500 runs DX8 games just fine.
I have been quick to jump on Kyle for many things, so I will be willing to let bye gones be bye gones. Maybe he is growing up and the little rants he throws out every once in awhile will be a distant memory.

My 2 cents.:angel:

euan
10-22-03, 07:08 AM
I read it as "we've been the fall guy too many times. We'll wait to see what other reviewer messes up, then correct or mistakes"... :D

jbirney
10-22-03, 07:27 AM
I am no fan of HardOCP but I am happy to see a site spend extra time to try to get a review right, vrs rush it out just to make a NDA deadline.

jimbob0i0
10-22-03, 07:35 AM
YES! - Kyle & Co. are doing something right! ... way to go guys!

Unit01
10-22-03, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0

we wont know that until it's out and we can see and read it ;)

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by euan
I read it as "we've been the fall guy too many times. We'll wait to see what other reviewer messes up, then correct or mistakes"... :D
Originally posted by jbirney
I am no fan of HardOCP but I am happy to see a site spend extra time to try to get a review right, vrs rush it out just to make a NDA deadline.
I'd say it looks like he's talking the talk, I just hope he means it and he finally walks the walk too.

jimbob0i0
10-22-03, 08:48 AM
Indeed digi - maybe Kyle can soon be forgiven for his transgressions? In the past few months or so he has been doing a LOT of things right..... he is maintaining a balance of IQ and FPS as far as is possible in recent reviews, he isn't rushing to meet an NDA deadline, he has appeared on forums and freely chatted with the masses..... who knows - another month or two if he keeps on this path [H]OCP could well be the trusted and reliable website it was once upon a time....

reever2
10-22-03, 08:56 AM

Never say that before the review is out

jimbob0i0
10-22-03, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by reever2
Never say that before the review is out

LOl - indeed ... but after the past year just this alone is pretty good - I do hope that we aren't let down .....

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 09:12 AM
Indeed digi - maybe Kyle can soon be forgiven for his transgressions? In the past few months or so he has been doing a LOT of things right..... he is maintaining a balance of IQ and FPS as far as is possible in recent reviews, he isn't rushing to meet an NDA deadline, he has appeared on forums and freely chatted with the masses..... who knows - another month or two if he keeps on this path [H]OCP could well be the trusted and reliable website it was once upon a time....
Hey, I still give Kyle his due credit for the RatPad and still feel it's the best mousing solution out there! (And I'm glad he introduced the RatPadGS and I look forward to trying one out...I've been a die-hard RatPad guy for a long while now.)

If he can turn around their credibility I'll be one of the first in line to congratulate him, but I ain't gonna be doing so until I see it and believe it to be sincere.

jimbob0i0
10-22-03, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Hey, I still give Kyle his due credit for the RatPad and still feel it's the best mousing solution out there! (And I'm glad he introduced the RatPadGS and I look forward to trying one out...I've been a die-hard RatPad guy for a long while now.)

If he can turn around their credibility I'll be one of the first in line to congratulate him, but I ain't gonna be doing so until I see it and believe it to be sincere.

Heh - same here... I love my ratpad ;)

But put it this way I am actually looking forward to reading an NV review by [H]OCP.... but hey - as I said so far so good... next week will tell the conclusion to thi sstory though ;)

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 09:30 AM
next week will tell the conclusion to thi sstory though ;)
I don't think "conclusion" yet, but it'll tell me which way the plot is moving. ;)

junkheap
10-22-03, 10:25 AM
At least it's a start. He is the only one actually stating it on his front page, and i think he has done a lot beter reviews since he has seen the dirty side of each of the companies. It put him in the crossfire and Now he trusts NO ONE. Thats the way it should be.