PDA

View Full Version : NVidia's claims at their conference


Pages : [1] 2 3

Sotos
10-22-03, 06:53 AM
WARP2SEARCH.com
Posted by Newsfactory on Wednesday, October 22 @ 12:22:57 CEST


ATI's market share has grown well over 2% in the last year. This is a well known and documented fact. Yet at NVidia's own conference, their CEO blatantly lies about losing any of the video card market to ATI...

Since when does 1+1 not equal 2? I guess when you can put a leaf blower on your video cards, you no longer need to abide by the basic laws of math either.



Nvidia can not really admit that they have lost these year...If they were more carefull they wouldn't had lost i guess

Especially in HIGH END cards which seems ATI holds the advantage with the latest R3xx VPU

poursoul
10-22-03, 07:23 AM
Came across this at Warp2Search

From Warp2Search

NVidia boldly lies at its on conference.

ATI's market share has grown well over 2% in the last year. This is a well known and documented fact. Yet at NVidia's own conference, their CEO blatantly lies about losing any of the video card market to ATI...

I decided to read more into it, so i read the gamespot page about it.

From GameSpot

Huang also made the interesting claim that although his company has recently experienced a loss of market share (Nvidia has traditionally sold the most graphics cards, from its entire product line, of any manufacturer), this loss was due not to competition from ATI, but rather, to competition from Intel's integrated graphics.

Funny eh?

jbirney
10-22-03, 07:25 AM
yeap it was a good PR dog and pony show. Loved the commit about one driver a year :)

Uttar
10-22-03, 07:55 AM
And who says you he didn't seriously believe that?
Actually, I doubt that, but NVIDIA employees have grown the bad habit of using massive damage control to protect their collective asses against management.

Most of the technical BS and lies they told at that conference though, I'm confident most of the NVIDIA personnel at the conference believed it.


Uttar

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 08:23 AM
ROFLMFAO~~~~~

I'm sorry, just the comments about how it's Intel's integrated graphics that are cutting in to their marketshare and not ATi and the bit about hoping to move to just one driver release a year...TOO FUNNY! :lol:

Sledge
10-22-03, 08:30 AM
Why is that funny? Large OEM box builders like Dell & Micron probably get extra discounts for buying Intel CPUs and Intel motherboards. And for a basic no frills box, Intel's integrated gfx mobos are a fine choice.

Unit01
10-22-03, 08:31 AM
Well perhaps they didn't :p
Maybe they lost em to sis, xgi and intel whom then lost some to ati :p

rth
10-22-03, 08:46 AM
no because you see what happened was nvidia hasn't lost any market share (100 millions users!), but ATI gained 2%. so now the market is at 102%. it's called inflation and happens because of Moore's law (after Sir Patrick Moore, the UK astronomer that discovered the universe is expanding like a balloon being inflated).

also even though ATI has over 97% of the high-end market ($300+), nvidia has 142% so they are still well in the lead.

saturnotaku
10-22-03, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Sotos
Nvidia can not really admit that they have lost these year...If they were more carefull they wouldn't had lost i guess

See, the way business in America works is that you never, ever ever admit losing to your competition about anything, especially in front of your stockholders. Admition of loss would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen in any of our lifetimes.

SnakeEyes
10-22-03, 08:50 AM
I like rth's explanation. It matches up really good with what most businesses report anyway. :D

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Sotos
ATI's market share has grown well over 2% in the last year. This is a well known and documented fact. Yet at NVidia's own conference, their CEO blatantly lies about losing any of the video card market to ATI...
He also said they're hoping to move to one driver release per year, you didn't really take ANY of that seriously...did you? :lol:

Uttar
10-22-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
ROFLMFAO~~~~~

I'm sorry, just the comments about how it's Intel's integrated graphics that are cutting in to their marketshare and not ATi and the bit about hoping to move to just one driver release a year...TOO FUNNY! :lol:

I know, I know, the truth's funny ;)
More seriously though, Intel integrated graphics are cutting their marketshare a LOT more than ATI's GPUs - but that doesn't mean the latest are not also cutting their marketshare.

So IMO they did lie there, but not as massively as you seem to believe.


Uttar

TheTaz
10-22-03, 09:47 AM
Isn't Intel's "next" Integrated graphics chipset gonna be using ATi? :D

Taz

Dazz
10-22-03, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by rth
no because you see what happened was nvidia hasn't lost any market share (100 millions users!), but ATI gained 2%. so now the market is at 102%. it's called inflation and happens because of Moore's law (after Sir Patrick Moore, the UK astronomer that discovered the universe is expanding like a balloon being inflated).

also even though ATI has over 97% of the high-end market ($300+), nvidia has 142% so they are still well in the lead. Not true ATi has been leading in the highend department however they are loosing to low and mid range, which is where they make the most profit.

Hanners
10-22-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
He also said they're hoping to move to one driver release per year, you didn't really take ANY of that seriously...did you? :lol:

Well, at least that would make ExtremeTech happy, seeing as they were calling for that to happen just the other day. :lol:

Hellbinder
10-22-03, 10:33 AM
Well.. Regardless of the Specifics Ati's Revenues increases 70% from last year (or something like that). That would clearly indicate more products sold, especially at the High end. Which would seem to indicate that it has at least some impact on that 2% number.

It is also true that Intel has licenced ATi IP. It is very likely that ATi technology will appear in some fashion in Intels Next gen Graphics mobo cores. Especially for correct support of Longhorn.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

jimbob0i0
10-22-03, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Hanners
Well, at least that would make ExtremeTech happy, seeing as they were calling for that to happen just the other day. :lol:

LOL - funny that isn't it....... hmm.......

Hellbinder
10-22-03, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
And who says you he didn't seriously believe that?
Actually, I doubt that, but NVIDIA employees have grown the bad habit of using massive damage control to protect their collective asses against management.

Most of the technical BS and lies they told at that conference though, I'm confident most of the NVIDIA personnel at the conference believed it.


Uttar
Would you mind to elaborate on what "technical Bs and lies" that would be? i am honestly a little suprised hearing you say that.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

DMA
10-22-03, 10:46 AM
Wee! Another penis-measuring contest here at nV news. Can i join it? :bounce:



:fanboy:

MUYA
10-22-03, 10:49 AM
Merged Sotos's thread with Poursoul's. Both thread's were on about the same thing. guys and gals lets not allow this thread to spiral into another slanging match please!

MUYA

Sotos
10-22-03, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DMA
Wee! Another penis-measuring contest here at nV news. Can i join it? :bounce:



:fanboy:


These is no Nvidia vs Ati flame thread-post in here
Just people talking and maybe arguing a little

If u want to join in, come in :)
What do you wait for, a INVITATION????

Sotos
10-22-03, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
See, the way business in America works is that you never, ever ever admit losing to your competition about anything, especially in front of your stockholders. Admition of loss would be nice, but it ain't gonna happen in any of our lifetimes.

You are right
I see that in your country all time...

from the smallest subjects....
to more important
like President BUSH not admiting some <things> about IRAQ conflict...

Of course some of my country politicians or ppl are behaving the same like these but no way in that kind of SCALE

digitalwanderer
10-22-03, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Would you mind to elaborate on what "technical Bs and lies" that would be? i am honestly a little suprised hearing you say that.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif
You're going to LOVE his article HB.... (Yeah, I hacked into Uttar's PC using a keystroke logger thru an exploit in Outlook...I was curious. ;) )

Hellbinder
10-22-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Not true ATi has been leading in the highend department however they are loosing to low and mid range, which is where they make the most profit.
I would actually Question that as ATi has gained 70% profits and Nvidia has lost profits. Yet ATi has only gained in the High end and Nvidia has mantained the mid and low.

In fact Nvidia is the one that has been putting out for some time that their profts come from the low end. While ATi has stated exactly the oposit. That Profits are just as much made from the High end.

I believe that the Facts bear out the latter if not More so. Else how do you explain such huge profit increase?

ricercar
10-22-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
I would actually Question that as ATi has gained 70% profits and Nvidia has lost profits.Whoa, hold on. Apples to apples, folks. ATI increased revenue, not profit. Don't go crazy here.

ATI can increase market share without lowering NVIDIA's market share by ATI decreasing the market share of someone else. Duh.

Devil's advocate
NVIDIA lost specific market share to ATI in the high end/enthusiast space, but this is a mind share issue, with limited sales that are not significantly impacting to overall revenues. Most revenue for both companies are found in the midrange and low end revenues, a market space in which both companies have improved in the last year IIRC.

Intel's integrated graphics has impacted NVIDIA's low-end and midrange sales of discreet graphics cards to the business marketplace, which again is responsible for the most revenue

/devil's advocate