PDA

View Full Version : I am confused????

Spotch
10-23-03, 11:43 AM
I remeber from the beginning of the entire FX line that the architecture was misrepresented by NV to be 8 pipelines. Then it was discovered that in fact the FX architecture actually only had a 4x2 setup that could "act" like an 8x1 at times. Now on Toms review the FX 59xx is listed as having 16 pipes?
How can this be? More PR style NV "interpretation"? Somebody with a bit of understanding of NV FX hardware please tell me!!!!!

Here is a link:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031023/nvidia-nv38-nv36-04.html

SurfMonkey
10-23-03, 12:15 PM
I think Tom is confused, not you :D

Hellbinder
10-23-03, 12:48 PM
You guys really need to realize that its not "Toms" views anymore. He should not be getting the hook for these reviews and various comments people like to talk about.

This is all about Lars Winfield(sp?) and his Views now. it has been for a couple years.

Spotch
10-23-03, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
You guys really need to realize that its not "Toms" views anymore. He should not be getting the hook for these reviews and various comments people like to talk about.

This is all about Lars Winfield(sp?) and his Views now. it has been for a couple years.

That is besides the point. I am not trying to "hook" anyone with this. I just want to know if this is a flat out error or if it is an interpretation of the NV architecture and how it works.

SurfMonkey
10-23-03, 02:31 PM
It appears to be a flat out error, the pipeline layout is still the same, 4x2 colour+z and 8x1 zixel(tm) only. The only thing that has changed is with the NV36 where NV appear to have ditched the integer units in favour of some simple fp units a la NV30->NV35. This accounts for the better shader performance on the NV36.