PDA

View Full Version : Driver Install Ritual

Phyre
10-23-03, 07:58 PM
I downloaded the new 52.16's and tried insalling. First, I uninstall RivaTuner and uninstall the current drivers. Then, I boot into save mode and run Driver Cleaner. Reboot. I proceed to run the driver installation program and tell it to not restart. Then, I install the monitor driver and reboot after that is completed. When my computer begins to go into Windows, the screen starts flashing and never goes into windows.

So, I try the aforementioned procedure about 5 times. After that, I try it again without instlalling the monitor driver. That doesn't work. So, can someone tell me what I am not doing to get the drivers to install correctly? In the past, I've been able to install the drivers and monitor drivers without rebooting after installing the graphics drivers. That generally fixed the flashing screen on reboot.

The monitor drivers are the latest.

Monitor: Futura K7054J
Card: eVGA GeForce FX 5900 non-ultra

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to include that Norton Anti-Virus was disabled when the drivers were installed.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Phyre

Phyre
10-23-03, 10:08 PM
Well, I finally gave up for now. I reinstalled the 45.23 drivers, and they worked on the first install. I don't know what is going on with the 52.16's but it would be nice to know. LOL

Phyre

Phyre
10-25-03, 03:16 PM
Anyone have any suggestions? I installed the latest VIA drivers, and that did not help. It will really stink having to wait for the next release. Would emailing nvidia be useful?

Thanks,
Phyre

Bubba
10-25-03, 07:26 PM
Phyre- I usually follow much the same procedure as you did. (went from 44.67 and uninstalled rivatuner as well.) although I have a bit different hardware setup.

I had the exact same problem 2 times consecutively while trying to install 52.16. On the third attempt, on a whim I went back into Safe Mode and checked device manager before running the 52.16 setup.exe. Apparently, the OS had installed MS drivers for my Ti 4400. In the past, this was never an issue for me- I was always prompted to perform the driver install manually, and just cancelled out of the automated procedures before adding them myself.

After seeing this, I just uninstalled the device, ran the executable, and all went well. Don't know if this helps, but seeing someone else having a similar problem at least makes me think that the new installer may have some different properties, or is performing some functions a little differently.

Quite frankly, I was a little ticked that I didn't catch this until my third attempt at installing. A little embarassing.....

In any event, it may be worth checking to see if whether or not your OS has detected any display devices at all (in Safe Mode) before trying to install the new drivers. If so, it may only be good to load 52.16 if there are absolutely no other active drivers present.

Best of luck.

Phyre
10-25-03, 10:34 PM
I'm just wanting to make sure I'm reading this correctly. You went into Safe Mode after uninstalling your current drivers and checked for installed hardware in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, you installed the current 52.16 drivers then booted Windows regularly?

Also, it may be worth mentioning that when I uninstall the failed 52.16 drivers, I do not see the nVidia icon in the Add/Remove Software section of Windows. Instead, I just see a regular software install icon. I will try what you said, and let you all know what I find.

Thanks for the help,
Phyre

Bubba
10-26-03, 12:27 AM
So that I don't screw anything up. Here's the order I used to do things in:

1. Uninstall Nvidia Graphics drivers from Ad/Remove programs
2. Boot into safe mode
3. Run Driver Cleaner
4. Boot into normal Windows (no safe mode)
5. Update new drivers

Now, doing this with 52.16 caused Windows not to boot like you explain below (I didn't get the flashing screen thing you mention). So, I went into Safe Mode again and used system restore to bring my system back up with 44.67. After doing this same thing 2 times in a row, on a whim when I was in Safe Mode, I checked device manager and no display devices were found. Very weird.... not uninstalled, just no devices at all. So, I once again went back to the 'good' restore point and did things in this order:

1. Uninstall Nvidia Graphics drivers from Ad/Remove programs
2. Boot into safe mode
3. Run Driver Cleaner
4. Boot into safe mode
5. Checked Device Manager and found Display Device listed with MS Drivers
6. Uninstalled Display Device
7. Ran 52.16 exe

After that, it works. Not sure if there's differences in how 2003 handles driver installs from XP. From now on, though, I'm always going to check to make sure no displays or display drivers are installed before I run a driver executable.

Phyre
10-26-03, 01:23 AM
Ok, I did what you said, however, I did not find any Microsoft drivers for my 5900. But, I installed the drivers while in safe mode. Once I rebooted, I was able to get into Windows. Howerver, after about a minute, my monitor started flashing again. On a whim, I turned my monitor off and back on, the problem went away. So, I reinstalled RivaTuner, made adjustments to D3D and OpenGL AA & AF settings, adjusted the 60 Hz issue, then rebooted. I had also installed the monitor drivers before the RivaTuner install.

On reboot, my monitor started flashing while trying to go into Windows again. I turned off my monitor and turned it back on. Mysteriously I was in Windows. LOL It started flickering only once after I had entered Windows. Again, turned off the monitor and turned it back on. Problem went away.

I've managed to make it through this post without any flashing at all. So, I'm thinking that I either have a monitor issue, or the drivers are a bit imperfect. For good measure I wiggled the connection to the video card and on the back of the monitor. If anything happens, I will keep this post updated.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, bubba. It's much appreciated.

Phyre