PDA

View Full Version : Help me out before I take this plunge....


LiquidX
10-23-03, 09:46 PM
I just wanted to ask the masses before I went ahead with a deal. I really cant afford at the moment to make a bad choice. Ok.....

I orderd a 5900NU for $219 from newegg but I am about to return it. The thing is I got a dude selling me a 9800 Pro used for $250 ($300 brand new oem) on the net. Does buying a used Pro sound like a better deal? By the way If I send back the 5900 I lose $15 and pay shipping. So in the end would a used 9800Pro for $250 (age unknown) be better than a brand new 5900NU or even brand new Pro for $300?

And as side not will I see a big difference in IQ going to one of these cards?

Thank you,:)

jimmyjames123
10-23-03, 09:52 PM
That is a great price for the FX 5900. And with the new forceware drivers, performance has improved significantly.

That price is a good price for the 9800p...but spending that much money on a used card is still a gamble. If you are happy with your 5900 in current games, then stick with it, it's a very good card.

Edge
10-23-03, 10:08 PM
Hmm, well, do you use Anti-aliasing/anisotropic much? That's the largest difference you'll see between the two cards (aside from DX9 stuff), and I think with only minimal AA/aniso or none the two cards come pretty close to eachother in MOST games. Also, the DX9 stuff will be a decent deal faster on the 9800, but it looks like the Det50 drivers offer a substantial increase to the FX cards in DX9 so that's not as much of an issue as it was before (though you still won't get HDR effects on the FX cards).

But as far as buying used, there's obviously more risks with it then buying new. From Newegg, they seem to replace things even if they're months after the warranty runs out, whereas buying used if it breaks the day after you get it, you're screwed (unless the manufacturer is willing to replace it).

The IQ between the two cards will be almost the same without AA/aniso and DX9 HDR effects, but if you do want the best AA then the 9800 would do you better. The 9800 pro would probably be an ok amount faster then a 5900nu, but not enough to justify a $50+ IMO. So I guess it's up to whether or not the better looking and faster AA and Anisotropic is worth the extra cost to you. If it is, I'd say get the used 9800pro, even with the risks of buying it used.

jAkUp
10-23-03, 10:15 PM
go with the 9800.. you wont regret it.. trust me:)

jAkUp
10-23-03, 10:20 PM
hey i sold my 5900 for $250:D

LiquidX
10-23-03, 10:40 PM
He says he is selling it because he has 5950 and a 5900U which he think is better value than the 9800 Pro because of the 256mb so he opted to keep it.

Egde, well I dont use or care for AA being I run most of my games at a high resolution of 1280x1024 (monitor limit) but I do care for AF(at 2x..wish I could go more). Which will do that the best?

The DX problems I think is the big factor I once didnt care but now I do being that I dont think I will upgrade again for awhile so I cant jump this hurdle by simply upgrading again.I really dont know how to anwser this myself...you say go Pro JackUp but do you and everyone else in a your honest opinion think that the extra $90 or so for a new Pro or extra $50 for a used one over a brand new 5900NU is worth it ( takeing the new dets and..DX.9.1 into consideration for the 5900NU)?

Thanks valid points,

TheTaz
10-23-03, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
The thing is I got a dude selling me a 9800 Pro used for $250 ($300 brand new oem) on the net.

If it ain't broke... I'll buy it if you don't want to. :p
(Was originally looking for a Non-Pro in the $200 range)

Taz

-=DVS=-
10-24-03, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
I just wanted to ask the masses before I went ahead with a deal. I really cant afford at the moment to make a bad choice. Ok.....

I orderd a 5900NU for $219 from newegg but I am about to return it. The thing is I got a dude selling me a 9800 Pro used for $250 ($300 brand new oem) on the net. Does buying a used Pro sound like a better deal? By the way If I send back the 5900 I lose $15 and pay shipping. So in the end would a used 9800Pro for $250 (age unknown) be better than a brand new 5900NU or even brand new Pro for $300?

And as side not will I see a big difference in IQ going to one of these cards?

Thank you,:)

Depends if you buying card for todays games or for tomorrows , 9800 is a good DX9 performer ;)

Make sure used radeon is not damaged from overcloaking thought :(

Skuzzy
10-24-03, 03:45 PM
Make sure used radeon is not damaged from overcloaking thought
Yes, an overcloaked card can make it difficult to see the damage and if it is overcloaked from though,..then it could be insane and you would not see it. :rofl Sorry,..couldn't resist.

DISCLAIMER: The above does not represent comment or opinion about any video card, driver,. or similar product.

-=DVS=-
10-24-03, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Yes, an overcloaked card can make it difficult to see the damage and if it is overcloaked from though,..then it could be insane and you would not see it. :rofl Sorry,..couldn't resist.

DISCLAIMER: The above does not represent comment or opinion about any video card, driver,. or similar product.

Heh ya that sound wierd my english is sometimes off :lol: thought -> though

LiquidX
10-24-03, 07:23 PM
I never oc'ed before so can you even tell if card has been oc'ed to the point where it has been damage? How would you tell...does a oc'ed card stay that way even if you change systems on it?:confused:

GlowStick
10-24-03, 07:34 PM
as long as you actually get the card its a good deal. but myself being scammed once, id rather pay the extra 50$ and be 100% assured that i will get it and can return it.

Rogozhin
10-24-03, 07:43 PM
We have a fellow over at il2sturmovik that was sent a 9800xt by Falcon Northwest as a replacement for his 5900U-because falcon realizes that the FX series are poor performers they will do exchanges for nothing-and he is very much happier with his new xT than his 5900U.

rogo

IISquintsII
10-24-03, 08:11 PM
Uh, if all you can do with that card is 2xAF then definitly get the Radeon. I have a 9500 Pro and I'm using 16xAF quality.