PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 52.16 for 9x, when ?

Pages : [1] 2

emuleiji
10-24-03, 05:25 PM
When are they going to release the forceware drivers for 9x os.

(I hope they do so 'cause I am not going to enrich Gates by buying all of his new sh** each time ! Plus switching to xp now would be foolish since Longhorn is about a year from it's release... F*Cking Microsoft !!!)

The Baron
10-24-03, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by emuleiji
(I hope they do so 'cause I am not going to enrich Gates by buying all of his new sh** each time ! Plus switching to xp now would be foolish since Longhorn is about a year from it's release... F*Cking Microsoft !!!)
Longhorn will be out in about 2006. Was pushed back again.

emuleiji
10-24-03, 06:58 PM
yeah well thats not the point... the point is that microsoft is *** you know what I mean ... I ain't gonna pay every 5 year for a new unstable os that cost as much as some new memory... damn

emuleiji
10-24-03, 06:59 PM
so are they going to release forceware for 9x ?

The Baron
10-24-03, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by emuleiji
so are they going to release forceware for 9x ?
hopefully not. I'd rather have stable drivers for an OS that's not 5 years old and built on a ten or fifteen year old core and that you can't buy anymore.

fingermouth
10-24-03, 10:21 PM
No offence bro but 98 is near dead. I wouldn't run games with DX9 flavor with these new cards on a system that varely works with AGP 4 or 8 anyway so go to 2000 or XP your gaming will be much better.

saturnotaku
10-24-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
No offence bro but 98 is near dead. I wouldn't run games with DX9 flavor with these new cards on a system that varely works with AGP 4 or 8 anyway so go to 2000 or XP your gaming will be much better.

Or that hardly runs with 512 mb of RAM or more, has poor OpenGL support, hasn't been available for purchase in at least a year. If you like 98 so much because you play older games, put together a second rig with a PII or early PIII, a GeForce2, Sound Blaster 16 and 98SE. Put XP or 2000 on your primary rig and use that for current games.

Deputy Doofy
10-25-03, 09:56 AM
Make way for progress, i said to the man walking, as i cycled past him on my bike with stabilizers¬

The Baron
10-25-03, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Or that hardly runs with 512 mb of RAM or more, has poor OpenGL support, hasn't been available for purchase in at least a year. If you like 98 so much because you play older games, put together a second rig with a PII or early PIII, a GeForce2, Sound Blaster 16 and 98SE. Put XP or 2000 on your primary rig and use that for current games.
I assume you mean doesn't run with over 512 megs of RAM?

GPSnoopy
10-25-03, 03:39 PM
Win9x runs with over 512 MB, it's just a little more buggier...

Emuleiji, no need to swear.
I don't think that owning Windows 98 gives the right to insult everyone and everything, no matter how bad it is. After all we aren't the one still using it.

FYI you can find the 52.16 non-WHQL for Win9x floating around the net, so it's probably just a matter of time before they get officially released.
If you just checked the drivers release notes you would see they still even support Windows 95.
I don't think they'll ever get WHQL certified though since Microsoft probably dropped the support for Win9x a long time ago.

The Baron
10-25-03, 03:43 PM
Win9x runs with over 512 MB, it's just a little more buggier...
uhm, it suffers Out of Memory errors constantly when you have over 512 megs and often refuses to boot. hell, MS says to disable all but 512 megs in one of the ini files.

GPSnoopy
10-25-03, 03:48 PM
I said it runs... I didn't say it runs well. ;)

quik_2_win
10-25-03, 04:48 PM
The 52.16s for WIN9x are bad anyway- I've already tried them. I would just sit with the 45.23 and wait a bit- there is no advantage to installing the 'official BETA' 52.16s...
Honestly, most of the comments posted here about the aging 9x OS are correct. You will need to move forward to continue with support for the latest hardware and software eventually. Having said that, I still find WIN9x to be a great OS, though a bit dated. It is so compatible and forgiving, as well as quite fast, and 'tunable'. The FAT32 file system still offers faster data transfer than NT.
Problem is, quite frankly, hardware manufacturers are rapidly dropping support for 9x- drivers and applications will be harder to obtain until they're completely absent in the very near future...

NAZCA M12
10-25-03, 04:48 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you people but the fact that every new game still supports 98/Me means there are people who still use them, and i'm not talking about 10-15 guys you know.

I fully understand that for some of you Win XP works superbly, but that doesn't mean that all of sudden XP will run great on anyone's computer. I've talked about it in an older thread, the new OS managed to **** up almost 4Gb of mp3's (lost the whole folder, regained it after scanning, afterwards, every song's name was like File0001,2 etc) cause it locked the first time it started! I've installed them about 10 times so far, and they were crap all 10 of them. For me, they don't work as Win98's don't work for others, or 2000 are crap for other people.

I can only speak for myself here, but if i have to download every day "updates" that try to fix a screwed up/rushed OS, have a dog barking on me each time i'm trying to search for a file (at least i'd like to have the option of giving it a bone when finding my files :D ), have the OS tell me where to store my music, (WTF?) and **** like that, i prefer to keep an old OS, never update it and just leave it like that. I've got 3 systems with 98SE, 2 have 1,5Gb RAM, the 3rd one has 2Gb RAM. Now it makes sense why they work great, never refusing to reboot etc (you hear Baron?), cause MS said they won't work well with >512Mb :p

And saturnotaku, i was making the same thoughts as you were, maybe give XP a chance and install them on a PII 300 or sth and let them rot, but in they end, they broke my balls. I was so cheesed off, i only gave them a 9Gb partition and that's all they're gonna get. :D

I repeat, don't get me wrong here, what works for me doesn't work for you and vice versa, so please don't post answers like "are you out of your mind brother? Been running them for 1 year now without any problems at all" etc, it's just that personally i had so many bad experiences with XP, that at the end of the day, why waste my time trying to make them run decent? I flew off the handle just too many times with them, up to the degree that when a new game comes out that doesn't support/run on Me/98's and demands either to install a crappy OS or forget about it, i'll forget about it end of story (and that includes the dude at my avatar).

To sum up, next time you post about such sensitive things, never forget to add IMO. :angel:

digitalwanderer
10-25-03, 04:55 PM
I still find that 98se works better on rigs with older hardware in it, and I personally still prefer it over XP. :)

The Baron
10-25-03, 05:35 PM
See, I thought you had a point, then you mentioned WinME as some sort of alternative.

Game, set, match. :)

NAZCA M12
10-25-03, 05:42 PM
Whats wrong with Me?

Match, set, game :confused:

The Baron
10-25-03, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Whats wrong with Me?
*jaw drop*

Somebody, please enlighten him on System Restore, Der Uberbloat of the last 9x OS (why do you think they abandoned 9x, besides the 16-bit legacy code and all that jazz?), and other Various Stupid "Features" of WinME.

Most Unstable OS Ever.

NAZCA M12
10-25-03, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I still find that 98se works better on rigs with older hardware in it. :)

(M12 checks his sig)

Come again?

The Baron
10-25-03, 05:47 PM
you're using 2GB on a Win98SE machine... *sob*

NAZCA M12
10-25-03, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
*jaw drop*

Somebody, please enlighten him on System Restore, Der Uberbloat of the last 9x OS (why do you think they abandoned 9x, besides the 16-bit legacy code and all that jazz?), and other Various Stupid "Features" of WinME.

Most Unstable OS Ever.

Ahh, system restore. Of course, but cough, that's an XP feature as well, unless i'm very much mistaken cough... Nope, 98>Me>XP for me... you need more arguments to persuade me

The Baron
10-25-03, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Ahh, system restore. Of course, but cough, that's an XP feature as well, unless i'm very much mistaken cough... Nope, 98>Me>XP for me... you need more arguments to persuade me
WinME system restore simply doesn't work.

Do you run 16-bit apps? Didn't think so.

Do you need DOS? Didn't think so.

Do you need NTFS? Uh, yes. Period exclamation point quack.

Do you need the ability to address more than 512 megs of physical RAM? Yes. And Win98 can't do it.

digitalwanderer
10-25-03, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Do you need NTFS? Uh, yes. Period exclamation point quack.
No, I get along fine with FAT32. :)

Do you need the ability to address more than 512 megs of physical RAM? Yes. And Win98 can't do it.
Nope, it's the reason none of my rigs have more than 512Mb. :)

:p

The Baron
10-25-03, 06:03 PM
And how large are your partitions? Believe me, NTFS is much MUCH faster on large partitions.

NAZCA M12
10-25-03, 06:13 PM
Between us, i never use SR. Too XPish, though that is not the problem. I could avoid screwing up the sytem but after awhile, i like to format, and re-install everything. I mean i enjoy it as a procedure (as long as i don't do it too often :D ). As for the memory issue, i even remember the mobo's manual stating categorically that you can NOT run 98 with more than 512Mb but what's going on then? Some kind of miracle or sth? Don't know, for me it works without problems. Anyway, NTFS is good but not a necessity and the last game i played was a DOS one. But why are we talking about a system that can't even run System Shock 2 (i remember XP being unable to run it, even in compatibility mode, if my memory serves me well it was in a small list of games that wouldn't work under XP whatever you tried). Just curious, was any way around the problem ever found?

PS: Baron, a little bird told me that if you try to run TERRA NOVA under XP a message pops up that says "you'd be better off with an older OS son" :D :D . Kidding, but on XP it would only play the intro movie, then would drop to the desktop :confused: Running it through VDMS wouldn't work either. Unless of course you were to creat a Non-NTFS !! (ducks) partition and run it from there. :) I think it's time you upgraded to Win98SE as well man :D :D :D