PDA

View Full Version : Ti4600 upgrade now or wait??

bagman
10-25-03, 08:48 PM
Hi guys....

P4 2.8
1gigDDRSDRAM
XPPro (SP1)
Gf4 Ti 4600 (52.16)
DX9.0b

Question is, do I upgrade to a FX card now or wait until next year and see what the NV40 brings ?
I appreciate that GF4 cards are not DX9 compatible, but with some of the current games and ones about to be released you need DX9 installed.

So I have a couple of questions and am looking for your opinions please :

1) Are the current/future games that require DX9 utilising all the features of DX enough to warrant me moving to a DX9 based card ??
2) Even though I can play DX9 based games using my GF4 card, will I notice a big enough change moving to a FX card ??
3) If I opt to go the FX card route, any opinions on what card will give me as good if not better performance than my GF4 ?? I mostly play in 1024x768x32 .

For a variety of reasons I would prefer to stick with nVidia

All opinions appreciated

cheers

The Baron
10-25-03, 08:55 PM
"And the Lord said, 'My people, a short time from this moment you shall receive a great offering, a sign of my covenant with you. And that offering shall be called NV40 (or is it R420? I'm going senile in my old age), and it shall be good.' "

So no. Your Ti4600 is peachy at the moment. NV40 and R420, both of which will probably offer much more bang-for-buck than anything else at the moment, will be out early next year. And hell, there might not even be a HL2 or Doom 3 until then anyway.

If you're desperate, buy a cheap 9600 Pro. That should tide you over. The thing is, if you're upgrading for DX9, don't buy an FX. They "support" DX9, but "running" DX9 is another story altogether. Plus there aren't any DX9 games (like really really real DX9 games that you would consider playing, save Halo) out at the moment.

Although, at the moment, I am quite miffed at ATI too for Driver Problems. Bah. Where are you, Series 5?

bagman
10-25-03, 09:02 PM
Thanks Baron......I guess that was my point.

Am I missing out on THAT much of an experience with DX9 based games using my Ti 4600 ???

If not, then following yur advce and seeing what the NV40 brings is perhaps sound advice

cheers and thanks again

The Baron
10-25-03, 09:03 PM
Am I missing out on THAT much of an experience with DX9 based games using my Ti 4600 ???
At the moment? Nuhuh. I would happily game with a Ti4600 now, although maybe not in Halo. Everything else, yeah, would probably be fine.

Rytr
10-25-03, 09:17 PM
Since you state that you prefer to stick with Nvidia I would go with the FX5700U or above. Your Ti 4600 still has plenty of speed but if you want DX9 capability you might take a look at the 5700U. If you want a card with more performance maybe you should wait for MikeC's preview of the FX5950U here at NVNews. Maxpower (Clay) has a review up on the FX5700U and Jonathan has a preveiw of the EVGA FX5950U.

Maverickman
10-25-03, 11:23 PM
I upgraded from a Ti4600 to an FX 5900 non-Ultra. I noticed a tremendous performance increase, especially with AA and AF enabled. There's never really a "great" time to upgrade. Something new and improved is always around the corner. Try to upgrade when you can get a great deal on a slightly older card. Since you want to stick with Nvidia, I'd suggest you take a good look at the 5900. Since the 5950 Ultra hit the market, you can get a 5900 for a little over $200. That's a LOT of card for the money. It's about 10-20% slower than a 5900 Ultra, but you're paying less than half the price. You can also overclock it to near-Ultra levels. It's true that the FX series is a little lame on DX 9.0 games. In truth, we won't be gaming with serious DX 9.0 titles until the middle of next year. HL2 will probably be an April 2004 release, and who knows when we'll see DOOM III. If you want to upgrade now, go for a 5900. You'll be able to game in higher resolutions and definitely crank up the AA and AF in 1024X768. That's DEFINITELY worth the $200 or so you'll spend.

5150 Joker
10-26-03, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by bagman
Hi guys....

P4 2.8
1gigDDRSDRAM
XPPro (SP1)
Gf4 Ti 4600 (52.16)
DX9.0b

Question is, do I upgrade to a FX card now or wait until next year and see what the NV40 brings ?
I appreciate that GF4 cards are not DX9 compatible, but with some of the current games and ones about to be released you need DX9 installed.

So I have a couple of questions and am looking for your opinions please :

1) Are the current/future games that require DX9 utilising all the features of DX enough to warrant me moving to a DX9 based card ??
2) Even though I can play DX9 based games using my GF4 card, will I notice a big enough change moving to a FX card ??
3) If I opt to go the FX card route, any opinions on what card will give me as good if not better performance than my GF4 ?? I mostly play in 1024x768x32 .

For a variety of reasons I would prefer to stick with nVidia

All opinions appreciated

cheers

If you've waited this long, then wait longer for the NV40 I guess. BTW, I'm curious, why won't you try an ATi card?

bkswaney
10-26-03, 12:27 AM
If u like AA/AF and want to be able to play DX9 then yes. :)

I went from a Ti4600 to a 9700Pro and I was amazed for months. ;)
That was the best upgrade I've ever done.

Voudoun
10-26-03, 06:02 AM
With a system like yours you could probably get away with waiting for the next generation cards. If you're impatient though then I'd recommend an ATi card like a 9800 of some description as they seem more likely to last past the next generation onto the R500 or NV50.

I also have a Ti4600, but as I have a weaker system (XP2000/512MB) I'm probably going to get a 9800 Pro when the XTs come out. The R420 would probably be too expensive for me and too limited by the rest of my system.

Voudoun