PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3 Demo!

Zenikase
10-26-03, 05:05 PM
Konami released a quite large (400+MB!) demo of Silent Hill 3 a couple of days back, but it seems that the news has gone largely unnoticed. Several sites are hosting it, and from what I hear, it includes a pretty large portion of the full game.

Screenshots and impressions are very welcome! :)

CaptNKILL
10-26-03, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Zenikase
Konami released a quite large (400+MB!) demo of Silent Hill 3 a couple of days back, but it seems that the news has gone largely unnoticed. Several sites are hosting it, and from what I hear, it includes a pretty large portion of the full game.

LMAO

Large portion? I got to the end within 5 minutes. I saw the first level on PS2 the day the demo came out (wierd huh?) so I know whats supposed to happen... you get hit by the rollercoaster and then wake up somewhere in the real world... the demo ends at the rollercoaster. Im very interested in this game, but a 450Mb download should actually contain some of the game, rather than a 150Mb video and one tiny level.

Anyone else play this? Maybe I did something wrong... :confused:

EDIT: Also, do not play the game above the "easy" difficulty... its just insanely hard on medium.... hard is probably impossible ;)

Pafet
10-27-03, 03:51 AM
Yeah, the demo is too short. The graphics kinda took me by surprise! I wasn't expecting anytihing like that from the PS2.
The gameplay suck though. You stand and shoot till the creatures die... unless you just run past them, which is the only choice at normal and hard difficulities.

Still, it got me interested

ATI_Dude
10-27-03, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Zenikase

IMO this demo is a joke. As the other poster explained the demo only contains a tiny level in the Amusement Park which can be completed in a couple of minutes. It's not worth a 450 mb download.

CaptNKILL
10-27-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Pafet
Yeah, the demo is too short. The graphics kinda took me by surprise! I wasn't expecting anytihing like that from the PS2.
The gameplay suck though. You stand and shoot till the creatures die... unless you just run past them, which is the only choice at normal and hard difficulities.

Still, it got me interested

I figured out how to make it easier... use the pipe! The pipe is big and heavy so it stuns enemies (at least on easy) so they cant attack for a second.... you can sit and pummel one of those big meat-walker guys and he wont touch you.... the dogs are a little tougher because they are fast, but it still works well with those. Also, if you push forward (walk) while swinging it, she will stab with the pipe... I think you can push enemies away with this, not to mention its got longer range than the smash\club attack.

This game could be pretty cool... im not a fan of crappy camera angles, but most of the targeting is automatic anyway. Also, its worth noting that in the PS2 version (and probably this one as well) dieing at any point in this level will progress you to the next scene... its SUPPOSED to be insanely difficult (at least at the higher difficulties), and since its a dream, you dont have to worry about ammo usage.

I think this game will be sweet.... I just wish it wasnt so damned expensive(full priced $40-$50)... Im willing to try new styles of games, but I just cant afford it :(

Nutty
10-28-03, 08:00 AM
I tried it, thought it was crap. I hate these types of games where you have to run away.. I want to stand and blow its head off!

It also wouldn't run if I tried to up the resolution or increase IQ quality.. most disapointing.

CaptNKILL
10-28-03, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
I tried it, thought it was crap. I hate these types of games where you have to run away.. I want to stand and blow its head off!

It also wouldn't run if I tried to up the resolution or increase IQ quality.. most disapointing.
I was playing at 1024x768 with 1024x1024 textures and it ran really smooth.
At 2048x2048 texture res it runs like pure ass though... probably because it uses all of the video ram up.

Game looks amazing too.... very convincing graphics.

tEd
10-29-03, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
I was playing at 1024x768 with 1024x1024 textures and it ran really smooth.
At 2048x2048 texture res it runs like pure ass though... probably because it uses all of the video ram up.

Game looks amazing too.... very convincing graphics.

it's not the the texture resolution but the internal rendering resolution , that's why it's so slow.

example:

if you set the resolution to 1024*768 and the rendering resolution to 2048*2048 then you'll get 1024*768 + 2x2.67 Super-Sampling AA.

..and of course it's gonna be slow because of that.

CaptNKILL
10-29-03, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by tEd
it's not the the texture resolution but the internal rendering resolution , that's why it's so slow.

example:

if you set the resolution to 1024*768 and the rendering resolution to 2048*2048 then you'll get 1024*768 + 2x2.67 Super-Sampling AA.

..and of course it's gonna be slow because of that.
ahhh..... that makes sense then. So at 1024x1024 im still getting some anti-aliasing?

tEd
10-29-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
ahhh..... that makes sense then. So at 1024x1024 im still getting some anti-aliasing?

maybe you get a few anti-aliased pixels but probably nothing you'll really notice

MrNasty
10-29-03, 09:16 PM
I dunno guys.

The game dosn't look too great to me.

At close inspection the textures look very low detail. Of course not the beautiful **** but I'm talking bill boards at the amusement park and general enviroment textures. No DX9/8 effects as far as I can see either.

Not a very good demo IMO. They should of released more of a "teaser" demo but I get the impression this is just too full on, there needs to be more suspence in the demo.

Pafet
10-30-03, 05:12 AM
Try using low-res textures with high resolutions, you'll get many jaggies :)

what dows it mean? since when txt res effects the geometry? what am I missing here?