PDA

View Full Version : Halo - my impression


Riptide
10-27-03, 12:38 PM
I had decided that I wanted to wait until I did a hardware upgrade before playing this due to the known performance issues. However, after seeing it on my friend's computer I decided to try it out anyway.

The Bad:
miserable performance - the game drops frames sometimes even @ 1Kx768
sound in cutscenes cuts out intermittently with my system
can only carry two weapons at a time
gfx, with the exception of the reflective surfaces, seem rather dated
gfx, my system is a bit blurry @ 1Kx768 (LCD native res. 16x12)

The Good:
vehicles - my first experience with these, the tank is absolutely AWESOME
AI - pretty decent
physics - i love the way enemies fly through the air, limbs flailing, when you lay the smack down with a grenade or heavy artillery (ie, tank)

character animations - the limbs flailing thing again, but I love to put plasma
grenades on an elite's back and watch him panic and run around until it blows him 50 feet through the air

character sounds - the grunts in particular sound pretty neat to me, and I
like hearing the amusing occasional english phrase they come up with like "He's going to kill us all!"

I'm on the library level now and don't regret playing the game at all, even if it doesn't look all that hot or run that well. The vehicles and the character animations/sounds make this game so interesting it absolutely sucked me in this weekend. I intend to finish it ASAP so I can play around with the multiplayer soon. It's a shame the game has some rough edges because it had the potential to be a blockbuster if things had gone a bit better, IMHO.

Even with all the flaws, the game is different enough from the average FPS that I am addicted.

sxotty
10-27-03, 01:31 PM
I am surprised you did not list repetitive architecture/levels. Such as the library where you walk in cirlces for 5 levels of the exact same thing. And the fact that the textures are the same the whole way with nothing to break up the monotony. Or the many other places with horribly repetitive texturing, when I was outside I was happy though those areas looked nice, but the interiors were bleak beyond what I thought possible in a real game.

I liked the fact that HALO is similar to id products in that you can take a vehicle where they did not intend because things are universal, and not all special case gimmicks, I hate gimmicks myself, but some love them. (by similar to id, I mean how if you watch Quake2 done quick you can do all kinds of amazing things due to few gimmicks.)

Sazar
10-27-03, 02:29 PM
I have not heard of anything to make me get halo on pc :)

I love halo on xbox... imo its one of the best games ever... the co-op mode just blows everything else away...

Riptide
10-27-03, 02:45 PM
sxotty - The repetive textures/level aspect of it hasn't bothered me much yet, though I am just now starting the library level and I hear that it gets very tedious. Hopefully I'll get through it ASAP and it won't bug me to much. I recognize that the reptition in some areas has been a problem for some.

sazar - If I had the game on xbox I wouldn't buy it for the PC either. There
is no compelling reason there so I see what you mean. I have no xbox though. ;)

I wish co-op had made it into the release game (PC). It would've made it even more interesting and I probably could've finished the game in a day with help from a friend. :)

Vash
10-27-03, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the Library sucks. But once you're through, you're through, and the rest of the levels are much better.

While I wish that co-op had come in the 1.0 release, I'm still glad that they're going to put it in a future patch. :)

Sazar
10-27-03, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
sxotty - The repetive textures/level aspect of it hasn't bothered me much yet, though I am just now starting the library level and I hear that it gets very tedious. Hopefully I'll get through it ASAP and it won't bug me to much. I recognize that the reptition in some areas has been a problem for some.

sazar - If I had the game on xbox I wouldn't buy it for the PC either. There
is no compelling reason there so I see what you mean. I have no xbox though. ;)

I wish co-op had made it into the release game (PC). It would've made it even more interesting and I probably could've finished the game in a day with help from a friend. :)

well tbh rip... I was hoping to hear something along the lines of mp play :)

from what I HAVE heard it seems its quite good... but... @ the same time... I can link up with some of my friends and play 4 on 4...

lets see what the new patches bring...

Riptide
10-27-03, 05:37 PM
Yes, bring on the patches! :)

If it is true that co-op will be part of a future patch I'll probably end up playing through the game at least one more time. Hopefully performance will be helped out with future updates as well, the game needs it badly.

Vash
10-28-03, 10:33 AM
Last that I heard over on the Gearbox forums, they're still working on putting co-op back in. So, yay. We'll see what happens when it happens.


I just started the game on Legendary (after beating it on Normal and heroic) and OMG is that hard. I've had to restart Flawless Cowboy already - the part where the Covenant drop ships are coming in all around you is *tough*.

Riptide
10-29-03, 01:05 AM
Whoever designed the library was on crack. That level is fun at first but it seems to go on forever. Talk about wash, rinse, repeat...

Most of the other levels so far have been much less tedious thankfully.

EciDemon
10-29-03, 06:52 AM
Is PC halo exactly the same as X-box halo ? (in single player that is)
If so then I dont know what all the raving about Halo on xbox is about. I didn't find this game very special. However, the music stands out abit from other pc games, but then again I think most console users are used to that. - I like the music in the game that is.

This statement is based on gameplay. Not the fact that textures are dated. But the repeative envariouments plays a big part in it. This is the worse Ive ever seen. And there is no good excuse for it either as the xbox is more then capable to handle more variable envariouments.

Heres some thoghts about the pc version...
Ive played the game in pixelshader 2 mode and Im not impressed by it. the textures really need to have higher resolution for it to look good with env. bump mapping. And they didnt do the effects good either. Shiny surfaces looks plastic. Reminds alot of Tenebrae mod for quake using the old quake texures. But the ocean water effect looks good.

I also had the problem were speach is cut during sequences (using audigy2 with latest drivers). That was cured by dissabeling hardware sound from within the game. Still sounds good enugh but no eax :(

Framerate wize im not too disapointed. Works good enugh for me in 800x600 most of the time.

Bottom line I think that this game is a bad convert (considering the time between them). But then again, ive never played the xbox version so the perhaps should look like this ?

Sazar
10-29-03, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Whoever designed the library was on crack. That level is fun at first but it seems to go on forever. Talk about wash, rinse, repeat...

Most of the other levels so far have been much less tedious thankfully.

heh... wait till you get to the end :D

library is pretty fun if you play co-op... all the levels are because you can play around the team mate... and the best thing is if in danger of dieing.. have your team mate kill you and you spawn there again with fulll life :D

co-op just made halo THE best... I probably will want to see the game played in dx9 with all the other specular effects and what not... but dont want to waste money on it..

rather get halo2... :D

Riptide
10-29-03, 09:46 AM
Luckily I am almost to the end of the library. I played it for an hour and a half last night and made some good progress but there are so many waves of flood it's just ridiculous... Reminds me of serious sam in this part. I enjoyed fighting the covenant more, but the flood are a little scarier somehow.

EciDemon
10-29-03, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Sazar
co-op just made halo THE best... I probably will want to see the game played in dx9 with all the other specular effects and what not... but dont want to waste money on it..

rather get halo2... :D

Bah, the pixelshader 2 visuals isnt anything special in PC halo, Im quite confident that they could have done it with 1.1 just as good if they just took the time. You get envarioment bumpmapping instead of normal bumpmap. And those effects are supported even on old Gf3. I get the impression that they just took the fastest solutions.

Sazar
10-29-03, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Luckily I am almost to the end of the library. I played it for an hour and a half last night and made some good progress but there are so many waves of flood it's just ridiculous... Reminds me of serious sam in this part. I enjoyed fighting the covenant more, but the flood are a little scarier somehow.

come on... the flood ?

:D

you just wait for them to group... one shot and there you go.. 80% of them blow up...

after that just walk around and crush teh skulls..

the other lads OTOH shotgun em to death :D

Riptide
10-29-03, 03:01 PM
Went and beat the library on my lunch hour today. There's one last big wave you have to go through before you can get the index. The library isn't all that tough on default difficulty, just tedious. Looks like it's back to fighting covenant, at least for now anyway. The covenant are more fun to go up against, IMO.

I wish I didn't have to go back to work so that I could've stayed home and finished this game. :(

saturnotaku
10-29-03, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
I probably will want to see the game played in dx9 with all the other specular effects and what not... but dont want to waste money on it..

If you're wanting to see specular on the PC version, don't waste your time. Specular makes absolutely every bloody thing shiny, even wall textures that probably shouldn't be that way in the first place. I turned it off and everything looks much more realistic.

Riptide
11-02-03, 11:25 AM
Just finished the SP yesterday and found that to be pretty fun.

Thing is, now I'm totally addicted to the multiplayer portion of this game. I was up until 2AM last night playing this thing. It's just a blast driving the tank and the banshee around on some of those levels. :)

I'm happy this game wasn't another $50 disappointment and was really worth dropping down into 1Kx768 to play. :)

MUYA
11-02-03, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Riptide
Just finished the SP yesterday and found that to be pretty fun.

Thing is, now I'm totally addicted to the multiplayer portion of this game. I was up until 2AM last night playing this thing. It's just a blast driving the tank and the banshee around on some of those levels. :)

I'm happy this game wasn't another $50 disappointment and was really worth dropping down into 1Kx768 to play. :)

Absolutely the truth, the MP section of the game rocks and I also end up playing MP till silly hours of the morning. :D

I however, have completely forgotton about SP. Mainly because I cannot use AA on it :(

MUYA