PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my 5900 experience

Raqia
10-28-03, 02:02 AM
Hey everyone,

You guys seem like the most knowledgeable forum about nVidia hardware so I'll start here. I just got a 5900 for an older system, an A7V mobo w/ 100 mhz FSB and 133mhz SDRAM w/ a 1.9 ghz T-Bred. The experience has for the most part been good w/ the 52.16 reference drivers:

1. Does anyone else experience lots of artifacts w/ these drivers in older games like GTA: Vice City?

2. I get weird mipmapping errors in some games like Max Payne 2 if my AGP aperture is above 16 MB, namely the highest detail mipmap textures on the back side of the Ingram SMG's are screwed up. It seems to have nothing to do w/ fastwrites or sideband addressing.

3. The Dusk demo runs fine even w/ 4xAA/AF, but the Dawn Ultra demo is SLOW! Does anyone else experience this w/ the 5900? I've heard of faster performance on a fairly slow processor w/ a 5600!

Thanks for reading and please reply!

mrsabidji
10-28-03, 08:09 PM
Hi.

1- Did you patch GTA:VC to 1.1 ? It fixes graphical anomalies specific to the FX cards...

2- Duh... Personally, my AGP AS is set to 512MB and I have no problem in MP2. Can't help you much.

3- Must be due to the fact your 5900 'only' has 128MB memory and the ultra version of Dawn uses more/bigger textures than the regular Dawn, hence the slowdowns in my opinion. (edit : oh, yeah, you were saying Dusk ran faster... well, she was created for the 5900's launch, so maybe she's a bit more optimized for your card than her sister...).

mrsabidji

sebazve
10-28-03, 08:19 PM
oh man you should upgrade that mobo and put some ddr in it:D

about the errors you can try different drivers

saturnotaku
10-28-03, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Raqia
3. The Dusk demo runs fine even w/ 4xAA/AF, but the Dawn Ultra demo is SLOW! Does anyone else experience this w/ the 5900? I've heard of faster performance on a fairly slow processor w/ a 5600!

Thanks for reading and please reply!

Dawn Ultra demo needs 256 mb of video memory, simple as that. :)

Raqia
10-29-03, 12:34 AM
I found that dropping my speed to AGP 2x helps tremendously. No artifacts anymore. Dawn Ultra runs respectably now but far from a silky 40 fps. Funny how the GFFX 5800 had only 128 megs of ram and was the intended platform for Dawn Ultra!