PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia dominates DX9 Market (Mercury Research)


Pages : [1] 2 3

Ruined
10-28-03, 06:49 PM
From MERCURY RESEARCH

"Strong DirectX 9 Growth:
For the second quarter in a row, NVIDIA continued its growth in the DirectX 9 market segment with the industryís only complete top-to-bottom family of desktop and notebook DX9 GPUs. NVIDIA shipped 4.2 million DX9 units in Q3.

In Q3, NVIDIAís market share increased:

to 66% of the total DX9 market segment
to 72% of the DX9 Value segment

by 19 points in the Performance segment
(note: Q3 represents the first full quarter of GeForce FX 5900 shipments for the company)"

Comments?

digitalwanderer
10-28-03, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ruined
From MERCURY RESEARCH
...
Comments?
Yeah, I trust Mercury Research about as much as I trust Peter Glaskowhatshisface when it comes to nVidia. :rolleyes:

nForceMan
10-28-03, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruined
From MERCURY RESEARCH

"Strong DirectX 9 Growth:"

Comments?

:super: :thumbsup:

P.S:

:dance:

:rofl

digitalwanderer
10-28-03, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by nForceMan
:super: :thumbsup:

P.S:

:dance:

:rofl
Well that answers the question of whether or not nVidia believes there own BS. :rolleyes: :lol:

Sledge
10-28-03, 07:12 PM
Where's Hellbinder's pipe? DW needs a toke ;)

sebazve
10-28-03, 07:15 PM
does nvidia has dx9 cards?:D

lol j/k

yeah take that with a grain of salt, i read somewhere just the opposite:rolleyes:

ChrisW
10-28-03, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Yeah, I trust Mercury Research about as much as I trust Peter Glaskowhatshisface when it comes to nVidia. :rolleyes:
Not only that, but they also have the power to win "Best graphics chip" a year before it's released! :super:

Hellbinder
10-28-03, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Sledge
Where's Hellbinder's pipe? DW needs a toke ;)
Sorry... I dont be sharin da Pipe..

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

reever2
10-28-03, 07:29 PM
sure their numbers increased, but still not enough to make up for their losses last quarter, especially in the notebook segment

Hellbinder
10-28-03, 07:39 PM
I seriously wonder how accurate those numbers could be... Honestly where does "Mercury research" get its info?

Its one thing to claim you "shipped" a bunch of chips. Its another to say you "sold" a bunch of cards.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

digitalwanderer
10-28-03, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
I seriously wonder how accurate those numbers could be... Honestly where does "Mercury research" get its info?

Its one thing to claim you "shipped" a bunch of chips. Its another to say you "sold" a bunch of cards.
SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :eek:

You're not supposed to tell anybody about that part, it doesn't sound as good that way. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

saturnotaku
10-28-03, 07:51 PM
I'll believe anything I read from Mercury Research...

when me **** turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert

God I love that movie. :D

Ruined
10-28-03, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
I seriously wonder how accurate those numbers could be... Honestly where does "Mercury research" get its info?

Its one thing to claim you "shipped" a bunch of chips. Its another to say you "sold" a bunch of cards.

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/ylsmoke.gif

I assume it is similar to how TRST/NPD gets its data for videogames.

bkswaney
10-28-03, 08:53 PM
wow... it seems ati can not seem to get ahead.

The OEM's are the main buyers so I guess they sold a sh!t load of NV products.

Well, I'm glad to see them doing ok in that department. :)




______________________________________
9800Pro for sale or trade here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20102
______________________________________

Sean P.
10-28-03, 08:59 PM
Anyone who has access to this report, please email me:

Email Pelly (pelly@amdmb.com)

ReDeeMeR
10-28-03, 09:28 PM
:eek: :p :rolleyes:

Rogozhin
10-28-03, 10:01 PM
Anybody can take a DUMP and slap a "DX 9 Compatible" label on it.

rogo

bkswaney
10-28-03, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
Anybody can take a DUMP and slap a "DX 9 Compatible" label on it.

rogo


"lol" :D :angel:



______________________________________
9800Pro for sale or trade here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20102
______________________________________

Sazar
10-28-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Rogozhin
Anybody can take a DUMP and slap a "DX 9 Compatible" label on it.

rogo

:eek:

damn... I think I saw those on ebay...

something bout a pixel shyter 2.0 or something...

MikeC
10-29-03, 12:48 AM
This is the type of thread I always receive complaints about and it really does belong in a different forum.

Any suggestions?

cthellis
10-29-03, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by MikeC
This is the type of thread I always receive complaints about and it really does belong in a different forum.

Any suggestions?

I suggest people stop reacting with knee-jerk insults and address the matter at hand.

---

The research isn't necessarily "flawed" or "lying" but it is certainly misleading and ultimately pointless without a breakdown.

We already know the GFFX 5200 makes up the vast bulk of DX9 card sales for nVidia, even though the cards are too underpowered to run DX9 reasonably anyway. The vast bulk of informed folk (you know... us) wouldn't lump it in to the same equation anyway, so without a sales/segment breakdown, the final tallies are ultimately pointless. When we have FULL information we can make informed opinions, but this overall will seem like "creative marketing," since the 5200 is the most-sold card and TECHNICALLY qualifies as DX9, but hardly grants playable frames in DX9 games--let alone useing DX9 features.

I can certainly see nVidia catching up some ground in the performance segment though, since the 5800 was an utter bomb, and launch-condition 5600's were getting easily mumped by the competition.

But no, these particular numbers are fairly useless. I really wish these companies would stop "summarizing" and provide the sales frameworks they're using. (They don't have to supply ALL the numbers, since they want people giving them money for their research, but what little they provide is usually clouding so much more.)

thatdude90210
10-29-03, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MikeC
This is the type of thread I always receive complaints about and it really does belong in a different forum.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, "Spin City." :)

SlyBoots
10-29-03, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by cthellis
I suggest people stop reacting with knee-jerk insults and address the matter at hand.

---

The research isn't necessarily "flawed" or "lying" but it is certainly misleading and ultimately pointless without a breakdown.

We already know the GFFX 5200 makes up the vast bulk of DX9 card sales for nVidia, even though the cards are too underpowered to run DX9 reasonably anyway. The vast bulk of informed folk (you know... us) wouldn't lump it in to the same equation anyway, so without a sales/segment breakdown, the final tallies are ultimately pointless. When we have FULL information we can make informed opinions, but this overall will seem like "creative marketing," since the 5200 is the most-sold card and TECHNICALLY qualifies as DX9, but hardly grants playable frames in DX9 games--let alone useing DX9 features.

I can certainly see nVidia catching up some ground in the performance segment though, since the 5800 was an utter bomb, and launch-condition 5600's were getting easily mumped by the competition.

But no, these particular numbers are fairly useless. I really wish these companies would stop "summarizing" and provide the sales frameworks they're using. (They don't have to supply ALL the numbers, since they want people giving them money for their research, but what little they provide is usually clouding so much more.)

well, here's the ATI breakdown from TD Waterhouse>

"Event: On Oct.27 Mercury Research released the Q3 market shares for the graphics chip /
chipset market. ATIís Q3 market share increased to 22%, up from 21% in Q2; NVIDIAís mkt
share decreased to 25% from 27%; and Intelís increased to 35% from 32%. Impact to ATI:
Positive, but largely expected, as ATI took desktop market share from NVIDIA (via ATIís
RADEON discrete chips), and lost mobile market share to Intel (via Intelís 855GM ĎMontaraí
integrated chipsets). Details: 1) TOTAL MARKET: The total graphics market increased by
13.9% sequentially in Q3 to 55.7mm units from 48.9mm in Q2, while ATIís total units increased
by 15.3% sequentially to 12mm units from 10.4mm in Q2. 2) DESKTOP MARKET: ATI's Q3
desktop market share (discrete chips and integrated chipsets) increased to 14% (6.3mm units),
up from 13% in Q2 (5.2mm units). ATIís Q3 desktop units increased 21% q/q. ATIís Q3 discrete
desktop market share increased to 32% (6.2mm units), up from 28% in Q2 (5.1mm units), and
its integrated desktop market share remained at 0% (0.1mm units), flat with 0% in Q2 (0.1mm
units). 3) MOBILE MARKET: ATI's Q3 mobile market share (discrete chips and integrated
chipsets) decreased to 56% (5.7mm units), down from 59% in Q2 (5.2mm units). ATIís Q3
mobile units increased 10% q/q. ATIís Q3 discrete mobile market share increased to 71%
(3.9mm units), up from 68% in Q2 (3.6mm units), and its integrated notebook market share
decreased to 39% (1.8mm units), down from 44% in Q2 (1.6mm units). Conclusion: Following
ATIís strong FQ4 (Aug) revenue (up 7% q/q), we are not surprised its CQ3 unit shipments
growth (up 15.3% q/q) exceeded the market (up 13.9% q/q). Looking to CQ4, we expect ATI to
make inroads in the integrated desktop chipset market (0% mkt shr in CQ3), with the launch of
its RADEON 9100 IGP in late-Aug. No change to our ATI estimates. Maintain BUY,
$17.10/C$22.40 target."

digitalwanderer
10-29-03, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
This is the type of thread I always receive complaints about and it really does belong in a different forum.

Any suggestions?
Open up a "Graphic Card Companies & Industry" forum? :angel2:

BTW-Complaints? You get complaints? No, for what?

cthellis
10-29-03, 02:06 PM
A more in-depth and better formatted look at the Mercury Research:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20031029073519.html

Still a bit confusing to read in some parts, and I wish they had a breakdown of what cards they consider "value" and "performance" and "high performance" and the like. (For instance which of the 9600's do they consider "value" if any? Nothing from the 9200 and below is a DX9 card to slip in there. It's still hard to see if they have errors or not without the card qualifications...

About what one would expect, though. And from this point on we'll see the usual small-percentage give-and-take. After all, it'll be a while before another BIG change, with what Longhorn and DX10 will bring. nVidia should catch up a bit more in the performance segment due to the overall quality 5700 (in terms of numbers, but IMHO not in terms of profit--I think they're scraping very low margins with that card), but the next round begins again with NV40/R420.