PDA

View Full Version : Savage is a darn fine game!

Uttar
10-29-03, 11:54 AM
I admit I'm completely addicted to Savage - been a LONG time since I had a so good game in my hands!

http://www.s2games.com/savage/index.html

It's a mix of RTS and FPS, 100% multiplayer - I mostly like the RTS side of things, where you command up to 31 players in your mission to annhilate the other 31 players.
But the FPS system is nice too IMO, although the graphics engine seems rather innefficent to me; my 5950, as well as most ATI cards, got big problems with the game, with results below even a Ti4200's.

Beside that, the game's a blast, very refreshing from all these "I wanna make a 250 man army to crush that computer's buildings!" wannabees.

I really suggest you guys to check out the demo - if you don't like it, you won't like the full game - but if you do like it, the full game is really just a lot more maps and a new race: it's the same thing, except it got an order of magnitude more fun time inside.

Uttar

P.S.: And yes, this is a shameless plug :) The studio developping Savage is a really small one, and the success of the game is currently medium at best - considering how fun I find it, I really think it deserves to be tried by more people.

To give you an idea of how addicted I am... I expected Max Payne 2 for weeks, want to order it right on 15th. Then I bought Savage. Now I still didn't order Max Payne 2, and I'm REALLY not in a hurry to do so! :)

Head_slinger
10-29-03, 12:17 PM
ive heard many people say the exact same thing, im going to pick it up on Saturday :D

Sazar
10-29-03, 02:08 PM
also... online play is NOT subscription :D

MrNasty
10-29-03, 02:43 PM
Aye it's alright I've seen better FPS tho.

Uttar heh why did you waste your money on a 5950 ? My 9800XT runs this game fine! Yer a wee spoilt brat upgrading so often! :p

Uttar
10-29-03, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by MrNasty
Aye it's alright I've seen better FPS tho.

Uttar heh why did you waste your money on a 5950 ? My 9800XT runs this game fine! Yer a wee spoilt brat upgrading so often! :p

Actually, I don't have a 5950, but since it's clocked at 497/866, I claim I do :D

Uttar

Sazar
10-29-03, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Uttar
Actually, I don't have a 5950, but since it's clocked at 497/866, I claim I do :D

Uttar

optimizing your claims :D

interesting

:cool2:

The Baron
10-29-03, 11:35 PM
Just got it.

I'll have to find you sometime... fo' rillio this time :)

Uttar
10-30-03, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Just got it.

I'll have to find you sometime... fo' rillio this time :)

Hehe, okay.
I've never used the buddy search system, although it could work pretty well...

Uttar

The Baron
10-30-03, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Hehe, okay.
I've never used the buddy search system, although it could work pretty well...

Uttar
UTTAR.

I HATE YOU.

I installed it at 11:30ish last night. I decide I'll hop on for a round or two, see how it is. I look up, it's 12:45. I wanted to go to bed by 12... damn you.

Imagine Tribes 2 without the suckiness. Then add in a bit of Giants: Citizen Kabuto and a dash of Warcraft.

This game rocks.

The Baron
10-30-03, 09:52 AM
The other reasons it rocks? OpenGL and Linux. Daddy's got himself a brand new GL benchmark...

The Baron
10-30-03, 11:09 AM
God, the more I think about this game, the more I like it.

Shaddup and buy it already.

And my 9600 Pro runs it at 1024x768x32, full details, 2xAA and 8xAF, with no problems whatsoever.

Uttar
10-30-03, 01:30 PM
Hehe, Baron, glad you like it :)
What's your name ingame?

Uttar

P.S.: Reason it didn't work well seems to be I had some icky stuff AGP-driver wise. Savage is probably the ONE game that requires all the AGP bandwidth it can get - wouldn't be surprised if there was a performance difference between NV25 and NV28!

Anyway, that made me uninstall so much stuff my comp is now 100% ****ed up. And that means I'm now having to reinstall Windows XP, LOL!

Yeah, I'm ready to do a lot of crazy stuff to make my Savage experience better :D

Vash
10-30-03, 01:37 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to check out the demo, then. Thanks for the heads up!

The Baron
10-30-03, 04:19 PM
Name in game is The Baron. Duh. :)

Ramshambo2001
10-30-03, 05:29 PM
Been playin the demo for a couple of weeks, still not entirely convinced to buy it though. Runs flawless on my rig though with v-sync, 4xAA and 8x ansio. Rand into some lag problems in a couple of servers is all.

Are the other races any fun? Or are they just a photocopy of the humans with differant skins and names?

The Baron
10-30-03, 05:55 PM
Beasts are pretty different, from what I've seen.

Edge
10-30-03, 06:57 PM
Well it seems to have been getting quite a bit of attention lately, so I'm gonna download the demo and see how it is. Though one thing at their page is a bit off....

Savage is considered by many to be the first title to seamlessly meld two separate game genres, real-time strategy and first-person shooter, into one game.

Guess "many" haven't heard of Natural Selection then, huh? I think it would be funny if Natural Selection made a retail release and everyone started calling it a Savage rip-off. Oh well, guess I'll have to see if Savage manages to be as fun as Natural Selection.

Oh, and how much of the game is actually first person "shooting"? Aren't there melee weapons and stuff?