PDA

View Full Version : New card on the way!


bkswaney
10-30-03, 03:18 AM
I just ordered a new Asus V9950 5900u. It will be here friday via overnight. :dance: :super: :jumping:

Anyone here running one? They sure look mean. :)
I got a killer deal on it. ;)

I wanted till the 50's come out to make sure the IQ
and all looked good before I jumped on a 5900U.
Here is a link to a pic of one: http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/V9950u/v9950u_l.jpg


snb for this forum got my 9800Pro.
Enjoy it man. It's a dang good card
and u got a hell of a deal on it. ;)

bkswaney
10-30-03, 03:34 AM
BTW... Has anyone saw any reviews of this card??
Links please. ;)


A german mag rated it the top 5900u. They said it was the best overclocker they had used.
Sharky gave it a 9 out of 10.

I have not found any other reviews tho.

ChrisRay
10-30-03, 04:33 AM
Heh.. You and both waited and got 5900's at the right time.. My Leadtek 5900 Should be here today 10/30 according to my tracking.

stncttr908
10-30-03, 10:27 AM
Why would you want an Asus 5900U when they're heading over to ATI? I know it's not going to be like, say, Visiontek, but I'd rather stick with a company that was sticking with nvidia.

MUYA
10-30-03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bkswaney
BTW... Has anyone saw any reviews of this card??
Links please. ;)


A german mag rated it the top 5900u. They said it was the best overclocker they had used.
Sharky gave it a 9 out of 10.

I have not found any other reviews tho.

Hexus did one, erm...I think Duk-gamers, UKgamers and I think not sure Digit-life. Search for em in the archivs of the front page. Any nv review...I have llinked 'em!!! :)

MUYA

bkswaney
10-30-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
Why would you want an Asus 5900U when they're heading over to ATI? I know it's not going to be like, say, Visiontek, but I'd rather stick with a company that was sticking with nvidia.

That does not matter to me. I just waited and got the card at a killer price.

345 shipped to my door via overnight. ;)

This is a great time to buy 5900u's with the 5950 just being released.

David Annable
10-30-03, 01:18 PM
I just received my Gainward FX 5900U this morning. Great GPU, poor bundle. I'd definately suggest that anyone looking to buy a 5900 Ultra should go with a package other than Gainward.

:(

But MAN-O-MAN, does Max Payne 2 ever look suh-weeeeet.

bkswaney
10-30-03, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Heh.. You and both waited and got 5900's at the right time.. My Leadtek 5900 Should be here today 10/30 according to my tracking.


I just checked on mine. It will be here friday. :D
It shipped today. :D

novagamer
10-30-03, 10:08 PM
I'm very interested in getting this Asus card as well, could you perhaps share where you got it at such a great price?:)

PM me if you would, I'd really appreciate it! Think I found someone to buy my current 9700np and this should be an excellent upgrade, I kinda miss nVidia:eek:

Thanks a lot!
Nova

saturnotaku
10-30-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by novagamer
and this should be an excellent upgrade

Not a chance. Believe me. I had a 5900 and went right back to ATI. I couldn't stand the 5900's FSAA quality and it was much slower than I thought it would be in games. Keep that 9700 and wait for the NV40 and R420. You'll be glad you did.

David Annable
10-30-03, 10:47 PM
Keep that 9700 and wait for the NV40 and R420. You'll be glad you did.

While I agree that nVidia's current offering (the 5900 U and 5950) have their shortcomings and that, in all likelihood those issues will be addressed (if not completely fixed) with NV40's release, you could technically wait forever for the "next generation" upgrade. In all cases, a new-gen technology is going to be superior to old generation tech by some degree. When the NV40's come out, I can promise you that there will be shortcomings there too, and at that point, it might be just as easy to say "wait for NV50's". But eventually, you have to stake your claim and go for an upgrade. Otherwise, you'll be left behind while waiting.

Anyway, does anyone even know when NV40 is slated for release? I don't think nVidia has even started mentioning what it'll do. DirectX 10? Has Microsith even started talking about DX10? I think we should at least sink our teeth into some real DX9 games (some that show off those sweet PS2.0 visuals) before we start worrying about the next generation.

I think it's true that, no matter what, "enthusiast" level cards are alwasy overpriced. The question then becomes, can you afford this hobby?

The Baron
10-30-03, 10:54 PM
let's see--9700 Pro is faster than all mainstream cards (9600 XT and 5700 Ultra), so it's still plenty. NV40/R420 will be out early next year (Marchish). XGI and PowerVR will be introducing cards soon. The new refreshes haven't been out long enough to cause prices on the previous generation's chips to drop significantly yet.

And hey, who cares if the games aren't there--it's all about the antialiasing.

bkswaney
10-30-03, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
let's see--9700 Pro is faster than all mainstream cards (9600 XT and 5700 Ultra), so it's still plenty. NV40/R420 will be out early next year (Marchish). XGI and PowerVR will be introducing cards soon. The new refreshes haven't been out long enough to cause prices on the previous generation's chips to drop significantly yet.

And hey, who cares if the games aren't there--it's all about the antialiasing.

That's for sure. ;)

MikeC
10-30-03, 11:17 PM
He said he had a 9700np.

David Annable
10-30-03, 11:17 PM
And hey, who cares if the games aren't there--it's all about the antialiasing.

That's where our opinions differ. To me, it's all about the programmable pixel shaders. Antialiasing is nice, but less important to me at high resolutions.

And where are you getting "Marchish" for a release for NV40? Not that I'm doubting you at all, I'm just interested in your information source as I haven't been able to track down any reliable information on the subject. Thus far, everything I've encountered has been uncorroborated rumor. Do tell.

ChrisRay
10-30-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
That's for sure. ;) ]


Well I hope you enjoy your card. I'm really enjoying minem, Despite the dubious motherboard incident. Which will take some time to replace. Anywho.

I think this card is paticularly exxagerated in how bad it is, There are a few things I dont like about it tho. Bleh if I wasnt so tired I'd explain.

The Baron
10-30-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by David Annable
And where are you getting "Marchish" for a release for NV40? Not that I'm doubting you at all, I'm just interested in your information source as I haven't been able to track down any reliable information on the subject. Thus far, everything I've encountered has been uncorroborated rumor. Do tell.
NVIDIA roadmaps. Then again, if you consider a six month schedule between launches (including refreshes), you don't even need any sources.

David Annable
10-31-03, 07:53 AM
Humm. I suppose it is a 6 month cycle. Never thought about it before. Maybe by the time the NV40's are out, I'll be able to sell my FX5900 Ultra and 9800 Pro AIW and trade-up. Until then, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for HL2.