PDA

View Full Version : My Nforce 2 Cmos battery exploded..

ChrisRay
10-30-03, 06:35 PM
Today My Abit Nforce 2 board, Started smoking and sparking (its dead btw) and when I opened up the case, I noticed that cmos battery was smoking black with this wierd residue on it..

So to make a long story short. My Cmos seems to have exploded and it took my Nforce 2 with me.. I put my Via Kt400 back in. and now I'm running at 2000+ speeds for a while...

Its really sad. I liked my abit board.. now I have to save up for a replacement..

I am currently reinstalling Windows. I am curious how my new FX 5900 is going to react to it..

digitalwanderer
10-30-03, 07:20 PM
:(

Sorry to hear dude. :(

sxotty
10-30-03, 08:08 PM
Chris how old is it? I thought you just bought it? Maybe I am confusing you with someone else.

If you bought it within a year ABIT will give you a new one so why not try it eh... you can sell the one they give you since you said you dont want another abit, and then use the money to pay for whatever you get.

ChrisRay
10-30-03, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
Chris how old is it? I thought you just bought it? Maybe I am confusing you with someone else.

If you bought it within a year ABIT will give you a new one so why not try it eh... you can sell the one they give you since you said you dont want another abit, and then use the money to pay for whatever you get.

I bought it like a month ago. Will they really honor the warranty?

MUYA
10-30-03, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I bought it like a month ago. Will they really honor the warranty?

THEY SHOULD!!!

That really sucks man, feel for ya.

MUYA

ChrisRay
10-30-03, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MUYA
THEY SHOULD!!!

That really sucks man, feel for ya.

MUYA

Well Computer parts are wierd. They may blame the mistake on me or somethen and not honor it :(

But I filled out an RMA form. Hope to hear somethen soon.

MUYA
10-30-03, 08:38 PM
Well Computer parts are wierd. They may blame the mistake on me or somethen and not honor it :(

But I filled out an RMA form. Hope to hear somethen soon.

Its 1 month only right? Exploding cmos....sounds manufacturing problems dude. :(

Really hope you get it sorted ASAP!

MUYA

jimbob0i0
10-31-03, 04:25 AM
Chris let me know what happens here or over at nfhq..... I don't wield "that" much influence... but if you get little or negative response from Abit I may be able to twist their arms a bit in certain ways....

sxotty
10-31-03, 07:51 AM
Chris also to be honest ABIT has an extremely good RMA policy compared to most manufacturers. It is not necessarily the best but they usually respond very quickly to your issues and seem to do a good job, I thinkm you have a >90% chance of getting a freebie. Of course it might be your fault if you broke of a capacitator with that behemoth of a card :).

ChrisRay
10-31-03, 09:28 AM
Well We'll see how the RMA goes. Since I got my Kt400 to 333 mhz FSB and its running fine, it doesnt seem to be as a big deal as it was, Still I would like the board to be fixed.

Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Chris let me know what happens here or over at nfhq..... I don't wield "that" much influence... but if you get little or negative response from Abit I may be able to twist their arms a bit in certain ways....

Will let you know. I havent heard anything from them cept the automated reply where they want me to pay for it :P heh I guess 25 dollars wont be too bad. I'm gonna wait till they review my request.

Gator
11-01-03, 08:41 AM
Chris,

an exploding CMOS battery couldn't possibly be your fault, overclocking has no impact on that as far as I know. If they don't honor the warranty, threaten with the Better Business Beurau.

Good luck

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 10:41 AM
Well, they want me to pay for it, + the Price of shipping, it's gonna cost me like 40 dollars,

It'll only be like 40 dollars more and I'll prolly get it weeks in advance anyway./

Considering I already had troubles with the board and my FX 5900, Next week when I get payed, I plan on Ordering an Albatron Nforce 2 board, Looks great, And the PCB design is similar to my Albatron KX400-8x, And I dont see a problem with fitting my leadtek card on that board.

PsychoSy
11-01-03, 11:03 AM
Abit was the hardest hit by leaky and faulty capacitors roughly a year ago and not only did it hurt their bottom line, their reputation took quite a beating. Since then, all Abit boards use genuine Rubicon capacitors and come with a whopping 3 Year Warranty. So, you shouldn't have any problems getting an RMA replacement.

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 03:22 PM
I went to the store today, And I Bought an Asus a7n8x deluxe board,

Serial Sata,
Onboard Raid
2 Ethernet Cards
OnBoard Soundstorm
6 Onboard USB 2.0 Ports.

Whats funny is I didnt really buy it for any of those features, I bought it purely for the fact that it was the only nforce 2 available there :innocent:

So, Reinstalling Windows.. And will letcha know how things go.. Hoping, This board wont be finicky about memory like my Nf7 was, My NF7 refused to run my DDR 333 chip @ 333 mhz, But my Albatron board liked it.

I have but one disapointment so far, Lack of FSB options..

Meh. I'm still gonna try and RMA it, Can never own to many Nforce 2 boards. But it sucks they wanna make me pay for it.

jimbob0i0
11-01-03, 03:32 PM
lol - great board Chris - same as mine :D

checkout nforcershq.com (www.nforcershq.com/forum) if you want to push it or ask questions about it

:D

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 03:44 PM
First Question would be.. WHERE ARE THE FSB adjustments? My Asus board has 100/133/166/200 only...

jimbob0i0
11-01-03, 03:51 PM
First Question would be.. WHERE ARE THE FSB adjustments? My Asus board has 100/133/166/200 only...

LOL.... do you use IM at all? might take a while to explain it on here.....

There's some good FAQS for a bunch of stuff in teh Asus board at nfhq.....

but to answer that question specifically now.....

in teh BIOS you have to set teh CPU settings to User Defined... that then gives you teh full range of FSB adjustments.

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
LOL.... do you use IM at all? might take a while to explain it on here.....

There's some good FAQS for a bunch of stuff in teh Asus board at nfhq.....

but to answer that question specifically now.....

in teh BIOS you have to set teh CPU settings to User Defined... that then gives you teh full range of FSB adjustments.

Have ICQ and AOL IM, Well I use trillian so I have em all. My other question, Is How to do you disable that raid menu at the beginning?

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 04:07 PM
Ahh My 1 mhz FSB adjustments.. there you are my little pretties...

CaptNKILL
11-01-03, 04:43 PM
My advice: never buy Abit

Im on my 3rd NF7-S 2.0 and this one has been giving me that two tone siren some times for no reason lately. It only happens when doing specific things that are CPU intensive.... its not lack of voltage and its not temps, its just a bug that the jerks at Abit totaly refuse to address\fix.

I have two positives tho:
When the board is actually functioning properly, its very fast.
When you HAVE to RMA a board, its relatively painless and they have pretty quick service. If you have to RMA a replacement board (like I did) they ship you a new one (2nd day fedex) before you send yours back! It took me about 3 days to get my 3rd board after I found out my 2nd was dead.

jimbob0i0
11-01-03, 05:21 PM
Have ICQ and AOL IM, Well I use trillian so I have em all. My other question, Is How to do you disable that raid menu at the beginning?

Add me to your listing then... my details are http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1060

On the mobo itself is a jumper..... this disables SATA and removes the RAID stuff at the start...

oh and Gib - it ain't promise on this board... it's silicon image ;)

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 09:42 PM
Sucks, This board is even more sensitive to my memory than my Abit board was, Really strange how my Via board loves it. I'm gonna have to upgrade my memory later I suppose.

I can get 302 Mhz FSB with this memory, You can see my system as I have it right now. Once I get some new memory. I'll push it to 333 mhz FSB and be one happy camper.