PDA

View Full Version : Halo predator effect

Pages : [1] 2

MikeC
10-30-03, 07:15 PM
Can someone describe the "predator effect" in Halo? A screenshot of it in action would be great!

Nutty
10-30-03, 08:00 PM
The Xbox one was basically like.. the Predator :D

Kinda ripply see-through. I dont have a screenshot tho..

MUYA
10-30-03, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
Can someone describe the "predator effect" in Halo? A screenshot of it in action would be great!

Mikes its when you erm pickup the rune etc u will turn invisible..like "predator"

The Baron
10-30-03, 08:06 PM
I will look for it.

MUYA
10-30-03, 08:06 PM
Like this

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=224434
Check between the trees....some for of bump mapping

MUYA
10-30-03, 08:10 PM
or this
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=224439

On the tree lower section

ragejg
10-30-03, 09:00 PM
It looks esp. cool when you see a player with it on and actually make out the outline.... watching the person move with that on is quite cool...

Nephilim
10-30-03, 09:02 PM
Yeah, until they sneak up behind you and pistol whip you to death.

:D

.....I love doing that.

Sazar
10-30-03, 11:25 PM
doesn't look much different than the xbox version though I am sre the shaders and stff are more advanced...

Edge
10-31-03, 01:26 AM
You can see the effect in full (used in a very cool way I might add!) in the trailer for Red vs. Blue. Oh, and everyone who likes Halo should also check it out...hell even if you hate Halo still check it out, it's funny as hell! You can find it at:

http://www.redvsblue.com

The funniest videogame related skit I've ever seen. It gets better later on, too.

junkheap
10-31-03, 06:54 AM
Edge: yea my buddy showed me that, it is freakin funny. Is there anywhere we can get the hires versions, or are there hires vers?

Pafet
10-31-03, 08:02 AM
That was excellent :afro:

Edge
11-01-03, 04:33 AM
The high-res versions are only availible to people who donated (I think the minimum is like $10). People who donate also get the episodes a day or 2 early, and those you donate $20 or more will get the DVD of Red vs. Blue when it's done!

But you could also probably find the high-res versions on Kazza or something if you try (lets face it, you can get practicly anything with a P2P program nowadays :rolleyes: )

SocketAzzWipe
11-01-03, 11:31 PM
Is it true that Geforce FX 5900s(or equivalent) are incapable of rendering the "Predator" type of cloaking in Halo?

Edge
11-02-03, 12:01 AM
It's almost certainly just a bug. The predator effect was made for GF3 cards, more likely the not it's just that the game doesn't detect the FX card's shaders right or something and automaticly puts it into GF2 mode (in reguards the the predator effect only, of course). All the other effects work fine, but for some reason the predator effect is locked in simple mode. Not a huge deal, but it'll probably be fixed in the next game patch, and if not, then probably in an upcoming Detonator release. Actually, has anyone tried messing with the config file to see if you can force it to use the predator effect?

RAY16
11-02-03, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Edge
It's almost certainly just a bug. The predator effect was made for GF3 cards, more likely the not it's just that the game doesn't detect the FX card's shaders right or something and automaticly puts it into GF2 mode (in reguards the the predator effect only, of course). All the other effects work fine, but for some reason the predator effect is locked in simple mode. Not a huge deal, but it'll probably be fixed in the next game patch, and if not, then probably in an upcoming Detonator release. Actually, has anyone tried messing with the config file to see if you can force it to use the predator effect?

Doesn't work on my GF3...O_o

SocketAzzWipe
11-02-03, 12:41 PM

If it's a driver issue, then the cloaking effect should work for both GF3/GF4 videocards also, right? Because as of right now, it doesn't look anything like it does on the Radeon 9500s+.

Edge
11-02-03, 08:51 PM
Whaaaaa? OK...now I'm confused. I thought I saw the predator effect on my GF4 card...but I donno, maybe I got it confused with something else. But why would the effect work fine on GF3 equiped Xboxs when it doesn't even work on GFFX cards? I know they re-wrote the pixel shaders for the PC version, but at the very least it shouldn't require BETTER hardware for the same effects. I'm gonna go check that in a little bit to see if I really can get the predator effect or not on my computer (gotta reboot into Win98, since I'm using a refresh rate fixer for Win2k...grr).

RAY16
11-02-03, 10:19 PM
Whaaaaa? OK...now I'm confused. I thought I saw the predator effect on my GF4 card...but I donno, maybe I got it confused with something else. But why would the effect work fine on GF3 equiped Xboxs when it doesn't even work on GFFX cards? I know they re-wrote the pixel shaders for the PC version, but at the very least it shouldn't require BETTER hardware for the same effects. I'm gonna go check that in a little bit to see if I really can get the predator effect or not on my computer (gotta reboot into Win98, since I'm using a refresh rate fixer for Win2k...grr).

Xbox has better shader capabillities than a GeForce 3.

The Baron
11-02-03, 10:23 PM
I think it has PS1.4. Not sure, don't quote me on that.

ragejg
11-02-03, 10:55 PM
By "it" you mean the X-Box?

??

...hmmm, what was the name of the "directX-ish" API for the X-Box?

SocketAzzWipe
11-03-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
I think it has PS1.4. Not sure, don't quote me on that.

If it was, then the refraction camouflage would work on the Radeon 8500s too...but alas, it doesn't - it looks pretty much like it does on a GF4Ti. Either Xbox has some weird PS support or this effect can be done on Geforce4 Tis alteast, if not Geforce3s.

SocketAzzWipe
11-03-03, 01:13 AM
Here's a screenshot I took as a reference...
http://www.geocities.com/halfassedguide/camo.jpg.txt

SocketAzzWipe
11-04-03, 03:18 PM

Is it safe to say that you weren't able to get the effect working?

Edge
11-05-03, 03:58 AM
Well, finally rebooted into Win98 to check it out (yes I'm lazy, so sue me:D ) and what do you know, it does use the simple cloaking effect. I guess I was just thinking of the Xbox version when I saw that effect.

Maybe it is an incompatability with FX cards then. They might fix it in a future driver (has anyone tried the Det50s with Halo yet?), but it could simply be an effect the FX is incapable of (though it certainly doesn't LOOK that demanding). Oh well, I guess now Xbox owners can brag that their system's graphics card is more powerful then your FX5900:D.