PDA

View Full Version : Will PCI Express Signal the Return of Dual GPU Systems?

Pages : [1] 2

Hellbinder
10-31-03, 03:42 AM
With the Transition to PCI Express it seems almost inevitable that some form of SLI Dual GPU support should make a comeback. It actually makes perfect sense with the way the GFX market is looking to slow Down product Cycles. Why have a Spring refresh product with a 5% performance increase when just popping in a second Video card or even Filling your ENTIRE SYSTEM with cards, say 4-6 cards would Doubble, Tripple, even Quadrupple GPU performance! :eek:

SLI, AFR or some other similar method it seems like a no brainer for this to happen.

Thoughts?

Fotis
10-31-03, 03:54 AM
Well, the first PCI-Express mobos seem to have only one PCI-Express 16X slot so I don't see it, but then again who knows!?

Hellbinder
10-31-03, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Well, the first PCI-Express mobos seem to have only one PCI-Express 16X slot so I don't see it, but then again who knows!?
TRue for the First generation.. But who says the cards have to work in 16x mode anyway? The Workload of next gen games are Calculation intensive, not bandwidth intensive.

bkswaney
10-31-03, 04:04 AM
hummm.:alien: (pimp)

Fotis
10-31-03, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
TRue for the First generation.. But who says the cards have to work in 16x mode anyway? The Workload of next gen games are Calculation intensive, not bandwidth intensive.
Then why bring PCI-Express to the table if not for increasing bandwidth?
Wouldn't PCI-Express 1X, used for other system cards, be a downgrade to AGP8X?
Bandwidth is still a major consideration and making 5-6 PCI-Express 16X slots looks like overkill and probably costs more.

-=DVS=-
10-31-03, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Fotis
Then why bring PCI-Express to the table if not for increasing bandwidth?
Wouldn't PCI-Express 1X, used for other system cards, be a downgrade to AGP8X?
Bandwidth is still a major consideration and making 5-6 PCI-Express 16X slots looks like overkill and probably costs more.

Could be server board ,then cost is not an issue , for regular boards 2 would suffice , i want SLI MODE aka Voodoo 2 :drooling:

MUYA
10-31-03, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
With the Transition to PCI Express it seems almost inevitable that some form of SLI Dual GPU support should make a comeback. It actually makes perfect sense with the way the GFX market is looking to slow Down product Cycles. Why have a Spring refresh product with a 5% performance increase when just popping in a second Video card or even Filling your ENTIRE SYSTEM with cards, say 4-6 cards would Doubble, Tripple, even Quadrupple GPU performance! :eek:

SLI, AFR or some other similar method it seems like a no brainer for this to happen.

Thoughts?

We all hope that SLI will be supported...ah man that would rock, but a 4 way SLI? would require a hubonous PSU 700W?? and a mean pay cheque.

Oh well stuff of Dreams are made of! ;)

MUYA

The Baron
10-31-03, 09:58 AM
No, because of power and heat.

Plus SLI tech a la 3dfx isn't going to cut it anymore--you're going to have to do something a lot more complicated (simply because rendering is so much more complicated than it was in Voodoo2 times).

Dazz
10-31-03, 10:16 AM
Yeah i agree, i can't see it happening, maybe dual VPU's on one board and may be multiple VPU cores.

jAkUp
10-31-03, 10:56 AM
imagine duel 9800xt:drooling:

bkswaney
10-31-03, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
imagine duel 9800xt:drooling:

I hear ya man. :)

If NV could use dual 5900's maybe the cards would run better. ;)

Skuzzy
10-31-03, 02:10 PM
Dual 5900's? Along with a 1200W PS, and a 4 ton air conditioning system...might work :D.

Actually, heat and power are not too much of a concern, if done properly. Anyone seen how cool the 9600XT runs? It ain't exactly a slouch in the area of performance either.

I don't see anytype of SLI type of solution being implemented. Hmmm.

Multiple GPU units, using a shared mailbox memory management system, with a central controller to tell which GPU to do what and when would seem more likely. Hmmm. Lots of memory needed. Frame buffer per GPU, each doing its own thing and a recombinant frame buffer using high speed async DMAcontrollers from/to all the buffers....hmmm..each GPU interrupting the master controller to notify when it has completed its operation....hmm..master controller handling the interface to host...hmmm
GPU's broken down and tailored to handle specific tasks...need more horsepower,..add another like module....hmmm
Daisy chain multiple shader modules, FP modules...all under the control of one processor and all using a shared slice of memory, indexed by module...fast lookups....hmmm

NickSpolec
10-31-03, 05:09 PM
It could happen. Doesn't ATI have a form of SLI implamented?

Sure, heat may be a problem in future cards (and for GFFX's), but 9800/9700/9600/9500's don't get that hot. In fact, I'm sure ATI could release a special bundle of two Rx0 cards in PCI-Express form and get some pretty impressive performance, while not having to worry about heat (power may be another issue).

SocketAzzWipe
10-31-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by NickSpolec
It could happen. Doesn't ATI have a form of SLI implamented?

No...where did you hear that? They can't even get dual GPU board working much rather SLI.

NickSpolec
10-31-03, 07:00 PM
But wasn't ATI touting something about the ability of linking 300 PC's equiped with R300's when the 9700 was first released? This might not be the same sort of idea.

What was that technology ATI used with the dual chip Rage Fury Maxx?

euan
11-01-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe
No...where did you hear that? They can't even get dual GPU board working much rather SLI.

Where did you get that BS? ATI sell chips of R100, R200 and R300 variety to Evans and Sutherland to use in multi GPU 3D simulation packages. ES have dual and quad GPU boards based on ATI tech! The only domestic DUAL GPU from ATI had problems because the Microsoft NT kernel couldn't address the two chips on the AGP bus, MS refused to make a special patch version of the PCI driver, so the card had to die a win9x device for the rest of its miserable life. Being a Rage128 it didn't have much hope anyway. An AGP bridge chip is required, and it is what both NV and ATI use for the multi-GPU boards some industrial customers use.

euan
11-01-03, 12:38 PM
Search ES for Radeon (http://www.es.com:8765/query.html?col=w1&charset=iso-8859-1&ht=0&qp=&qt=+radeon&qs=&qc=&pw=100%25&ws=0&la=en&qm=0&st=1&nh=10&lk=1&rf=1&oq=&rq=0&si=0)

Rampant CL
11-01-03, 01:07 PM
Imagine dual rage pros!!!

oh, wait, no.

ricercar
11-01-03, 09:29 PM
AGP 3.0 defines support for multiple video controllers on the same bus. All AGP 8x cards---9600/9700/9800, NV18/28/3x--if fully AGP 3.0 conformant, therefore can be implemented in multiples of the same card.

Sledge
11-01-03, 10:22 PM
9800XT/5950's cost $500 each. $1000 video system? After you :)

NickSpolec
11-01-03, 10:32 PM
Given some time, as prices drop, they could end up releasing a "Dual Video Card Kit", like they do memory kits nowadays.. I mean, dual 9800XT's would be quite formidable, even against a NV40/R420..

* That's theoretically assuming that NV40 and R420 are not twice the speed/abilities of todays high end cards.

Spiritwalker
11-01-03, 10:50 PM
Why not plug in 4 9600XTs for a good time. :D

Spiritwalker
11-01-03, 10:53 PM
Just to add they would be called the RV380 or 9600XTexpress or something.

Even if you could plug them into 8x connectors you would have a huge bandwidth gain and the RV360 core in 4x parallel would kick arse

ricercar
11-02-03, 11:23 AM
$1000 video system? After you :) [/QUOTE]

Only workstation apps really need such perfomance, and pros already pay such prices for Quadro/FireWhatever cards. (I don't ).

PS. Quadro FX cards are daisy chainable for multi-processing. There's a RJ45 on them for using CAT5 to sync up to 16 as one parallel processing system. There's industry talk that someone wrote custom OpenGL code to use 12 Quadro FX 1000 for weather prediciton (non-graphics ) crunching.

Uttar
11-02-03, 11:35 AM
PS. Quadro FX cards are daisy chainable for multi-processing. There's a RJ45 on them for using CAT5 to sync up to 16 as one parallel processing system. There's industry talk that someone wrote custom OpenGL code to use 12 Quadro FX 1000 for weather prediciton (non-graphics ) crunching.

Nice, although I was significantly more impressed by David Kirk claiming in an old interview that some people managed to use a GeForce FX ( 5800 considering the timeframe? ) to do database reordering several times faster than on a Pentium 4 system.

Database ordering being a so frequent operation, I'd suspect there could be a very big market for that...

Uttar

( N.B.: It begins with out, ends with box, and it's not empty ;) )