PDA

View Full Version : 5900U max core temp

Pages : [1] 2 3

bkswaney
10-31-03, 10:58 PM
What is the highest your card is getting under a full load?

Mine is reaching 81c with the card clocked at 500 core 950 memory.

novagamer
10-31-03, 11:10 PM
I take it you've got the stock cooling on it still right?

bkswaney
10-31-03, 11:17 PM
Yep... Stock Asus cooler.

ChrisRay
10-31-03, 11:25 PM
Damn thats pretty hot, at 400 mhz, Mine reaches 60C Full load... From my understanding tho. They can get really freaken hot, I hear there threshold is around 100C.. According to Nvidia they test them in Oven enviroments..

Rytr
10-31-03, 11:31 PM
The most I have noticed was 72C overclocking at 552/962.

bkswaney
11-01-03, 12:16 AM
How u u guys getting your readings?

I'm setting a 3d screensaver to come on
in 1 min.

Then I wait for about 3 or 4 min and pop off the screensaver.

I have the CP open to the temp. By the time the screensaver pops
off I get a flash of 80 or so and then 56 and lower it goes.

Is there a better way to get the readings?

bkswaney
11-01-03, 12:29 AM
I just installed the FW 50's and my core is at 58 idle.

The ambiant temp is 38. It's 20 degrees hotter than amb
to the tee.

It run 10 to 12 above ambiant with the 45.23's.

Man 58 seems hot to me.

What do the 9800Pro's and XT's run at? Anyone have any idea?

EDIT: Get this... After I put the FW 50's on it the OCing tab is grayee d out.

Just like the post from the link I posted.

http://forums.devhardware.com/archive/26/2003/9/2/10099

Something wierd is going on here for sure.

particleman
11-01-03, 12:49 AM
The hottest temps I get are after running Dusk Ultra or other programs that use a lot of pixels shaders, The hottest I have seen mine get is the mid 60's. Still by far the hottest card I have ever owned though, and I can even feel the extra heat emitted from it in my room temperature.

bkswaney
11-01-03, 01:07 AM
I found someon else with a asus doing just like mine.
Same way. He post at asusboards.com.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57910
He is upset like me. :mad:

bkswaney
11-01-03, 02:16 AM
Took this from beyond3d.
-____________________________________________

This sample could reach 560MHz for the core speed, although it would lock solid at anything higher. The memory could reach 1040MHz but all testing showed some artifacting at this speed. For the temperature testing, the Ultra card was run at a lower 550/1000MHz, which produced no visual errors. Splinter Cell and Tomb Raider, both respectively at their "B3D" settings, were looped 3 times before the frame rates and temperatures were recorded.

The increase in core speed produces the performance increase one would expect in these tests. Most startling were the peak temperatures for both standard and overclocked speeds; if the built-in probe is accurate, then running at 90C shows that the heatsink is not all that effective. In fact, the standard peak temperature shows this to be the case too. However poor the design may be at keeping the GPU cool when running in 3D mode, it does work well at cooling the chip rapidly once back in 2D - it took about 15 seconds for the temperature to drop to less than 50C from 90C.

__________________________________________________ __

So there's run up to 90.
So it seems all the Asus cards are getting hot. Not just mine.
Below is a link the page on there review of the card.

http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/asus/v9950/index.php?p=18

They were using the 45.23 drivers to.
I would like to see them revisit it with the new FW 50's.

I wonder what in the heck Asus was thinking?

Sure it's quite as a mouse. Looks cool as hell.
But it cools like sh!t. :(

Is there anyone making a nice cooler for the 5900u's?

Rytr
11-01-03, 09:04 AM
For something not loud you might take a look at Zalman and Thermaltake.

NickSpolec
11-01-03, 09:44 AM
Mine is reaching 81c with the card clocked at 500 core 950 memory.

Extra Value, A gift from Nvidia to you!

After installing a Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Graphics Card, your PC will be able to double as a Super EasyBake over!

It just gets better everyday :D

Rytr
11-01-03, 10:28 AM
Wanna keep your posting previledges?

ChrisRay
11-01-03, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by NickSpolec

After installing a Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Graphics Card, your PC will be able to double as a Super EasyBake over!

Oh Please, my Radeon 9500 Pro had a load of 57C, These cards run hot.

bkswaney
11-01-03, 01:58 PM
Well, today one more person fom the futuremark forums emailed me.

I guess all these cards do run in 3D all the time.
Well, at least everyone I have spoke to does. :)

AT least I know I do not have a bad card. :)

On a side note I will not have to worry about it downclocking
in the middle of a game. :D "lol"

synk
11-01-03, 07:29 PM
If you're looking to generat the maximum amount of heat, then you should download the DX9 SDK and run the Optimized Mesh sample. Make the window as small as possible and set it to display 36 meshes at a time. Now leave the application rendering window completely visible and open your display settings. After a few seconds your video card should reach its max temps. I've done a few tests, and it seems that the fixed function pipeline with a large number of vertices generates the most heat.

NickSpolec
11-01-03, 09:22 PM
Wanna keep your posting previledges?

Oh, come now. You're kidding me, right?

You threaten me over a little joke? Give me a break.

That's flat out outrageous.

Raqia
11-01-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Rytr
The most I have noticed was 72C overclocking at 552/962.

Wow, you must have nice cooling or leave your case open. Does your system run the Dusk Ultra demo at those settings? How about play games? Do you have special cooling for your 5900 Ultra?

Rytr
11-01-03, 10:15 PM
No, I have not run the Dusk Ultra demo. I just read another post today that mentioned that demo as pushing up the temps. Thanks for mentioning it, I will give it a try and see how the temps are affected.

That particular temp (72C) was taken while running UT2K3 benches for the review. Yes, I do have good cooling (120mm front and side intakes and rear exhaust) but the card is yet to have the cooling modified. It runs normally in the 60's running games such as Halo, BF42, MW, Vietnam, etc.

I am trying to quieten my systems down and have been successful with one which uses a 9500Pro. I backed off on the case vans and use a Zalman ZM80A. When done with some comparisons I am doing I am seriously thinking about trying the Zalman w/fan (ZM80C?) or the Thermaltake w/fan on both the 5900U and 9800Pro to see if temps can be controlled better without the aid of high output fans. Yes, these high end offerings do run hot!

Running in the 80's tho is getting too close to potentially permanently damaging an expensive card.

Clay
11-01-03, 10:53 PM

No joke NickSpolec. As mods we've gotta nip stuff like this in the bud...otherwise 10 lemmings will pipe up with equally *clever* quips that serve no purpose other than to rile people up. We don't tolerate bashing of ATI or NVIDIA...or any forum members/guests for that matter. Taken out of context in an isolated case like this I can understand your reaction. However, if you look at the bigger picture then I'm sure you will understand...things quickly snowball and often originate from "little jokes" as you put it. We just don't want to let potentiallly huge pi$$ing matches flare up, that's all, nothing personal. :)

bkswaney
11-01-03, 10:55 PM
I just run dusk and dawn. Both get a max temp on my rig of 72 running 45.23 drivers. Core clock is 501 and memory is 951.
But as soon as I hit Esc I see the max temp and it starts falling.
It falls super fast. Maybe 15 second back to normal idle temp.
The cooler seems to work pretty good. The max temp just gets
a bit warm. ;)

They seem to be the best drivers I've used from nvidia in a long time.
I run these same drivers back when I had my 5800u. They run everything wonder and are rock stable for me.
Pretty dang fast to.

The Baron
11-01-03, 11:16 PM

There are very few people that we joke with about banning. You're not on the list.

MikeC
11-01-03, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
How u u guys getting your readings?

I ran UT2003 benchmarks in a window, while keeping track of the GPU temperature readout.

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_fx_5950_ultra/images/overclocking/temperature_testing.shtml

From the GeForce FX 5950 preview - The highest temperature recorded during the benchmark run was 75 Celsius or 167 Fahrenheit. The room temperature during this test was 76 Fahrenheit or a little over 24 Celsius.

Rytr
11-01-03, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
I just run dusk and dawn. Both get a max temp on my rig of 72 running 45.23 drivers. Core clock is 501 and memory is 951.
But as soon as I hit Esc I see the max temp and it starts falling.
It falls super fast. Maybe 15 second back to normal idle temp.
The cooler seems to work pretty good. The max temp just gets
a bit warm. ;)

They seem to be the best drivers I've used from nvidia in a long time.
I run these same drivers back when I had my 5800u. They run everything wonder and are rock stable for me.
Pretty dang fast to.

Just ran it too. Different system than what I had the card in (referring to previous post). Same result 72C. That's seems to be definitely a bit high but apparently its max. Hope you don't see the 80's again...that's getting serious. I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) the max for these cards is 90-92C.

Totally forgot to mention how I viewed the temps, same way as MikeC referred to in previous post, thanks MikeC.

bkswaney
11-02-03, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MikeC
I ran UT2003 benchmarks in a window, while keeping track of the GPU temperature readout.

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_fx_5950_ultra/images/overclocking/temperature_testing.shtml

From the GeForce FX 5950 preview - The highest temperature recorded during the benchmark run was 75 Celsius or 167 Fahrenheit. The room temperature during this test was 76 Fahrenheit or a little over 24 Celsius.

Thanks for running the test guys. :)

That helps me out a lot.
My avg highest read tonight on dusk,dawn, aquamark and all has been 72.

Mike do any of u have any contacts at Asus to ask about there clock throttling and temps on there cards? Beyond 3D recorded some high temps on there card.

The best setting for my card seem to be 505 core and 980 memory.
It will clock a good bit higher but when I look at the performance numbers VS clock speeds 500/980 net the highest scores and the card runs get at these clocks.
Not to bad. 25 higher clock than the 5950 and 30 higher memory.
Plus my card was 260+ bucks cheaper than a 5950. ;)

Mike what is the idle temp on the 5950 with FW 50 drivers?

What's everyones idle temp?

Mines 40 to 42 with 45.23 drivers. 55+ with FW 50's.