PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 4 too hot?

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 08:20 AM
So my new rig is up and running (See a few threads down) and so I started checking out the temps, and overclocking potential and what not.
Anyways, I running on an Abit IC7-G with a ZALMAN CNPS7000-Alcu at it's fastest mode, and I'm idling at about 48C-50C which seems rather hefty. I see people reporting 40C-42C with the stock Hs/F, and I'm a bit disappointed considering I shelled out extra for this fan. Should I try to put the Stock fan and compare?
I also tried an overclock to 3.315Ghz (I'm running a 3Ghz) and though things seemed fine, after a few minutes of load, it peaked and about 65C. Thing is, I've set the mobo to warn on 65C and Shutdown on 70C, but it hasn't warned or anything.
Are my readings wrong?

Appreciate the help.

Dazz
11-01-03, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a lack of good case airflow, you might want to look into a case with 5+ fans (2x front 2x back 1x side)

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 08:31 AM
Hmmm...that's a bit extreme no? I have a 120mm Fan infront and 80mm fan on back.
But I just read a review of the cooler, and it states that with out the fan mate (the fan speed controller thing) it runs at 2900RPM and rather with it at 2500RPM. Is this true? should I try and take out the Fan mate?

Thanks for the help.

Dazz
11-01-03, 08:52 AM
Yeah, the fan mate reduces the current to the fan this is how it changed the fan speed. removing it will mean it will use full power so max speed.
Also the P4 retail fans run also louder they run about 5500rpms.

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 09:14 AM
Oh good to know. I'll try it then. Is there any danger in doing so? Will the fan run above it's designed speed? Can I wreck the engine or something?

Thanks.

Dazz
11-01-03, 09:29 AM
Nope no danger unless you play to run it though your motherboard? DON'T do it nor for a 90mm fan as it will draw alot of power and may fry your board. Just a word of warning.

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 09:34 AM
Wow man, you just saved me there, I WAS planning to do it through the mobo. I should definetly be more careful. So straight to the PSU then?

Thanks.

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 09:51 AM
But won't I loose the fan speed reading if I connect it to the PSU?
If so, are you sure it would be so bad connecting the fan to the mobo without the FAN mate?

Dazz
11-01-03, 09:57 AM
Well you can connect it to the board and it will be alright so long as it's not on for to long as it will be drawing more power from your system then a fan should. DOn't you get a seperate fan header with a yellow cable to monitor your fan speed?

Drew Carey
11-01-03, 10:34 AM
Oh well, I checked and and relized I don't have a fan-to-psu style power cord. So I can't connect the fan straight to the PSU until I have one fo those. It's either connecting it to the mobo, or getting a cable.
Thanks anyways.

Drew Carey
11-04-03, 01:21 PM
Hey man, I'm sorry to fret about this, But I've been asking around the various forums about connecting the Zalman 7000A-Alcu straight to the mobo and today I came across this (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=243337) link from overclockers.com. The guy who made the thread saw my own at the abit forums. I just wanted to bring this to your attention since thier mod there seems very sure of what he says. Hope you don't take offense, I appreciate the help.

Dazz
11-04-03, 02:01 PM
As i said you can use it for a while without problems as it takes time but you might be better knowing that for just $2 you can have a converter. If after a while you do suffer from stablilty problems you know what it's down to.