PDA

View Full Version : High Temps Water cooling

sxotty
11-01-03, 08:41 AM
Ok I just tested becuase I thought I should and the water in my system is at 32.2C, the CPU is at 52C obviously this means that there is a poor connection between the waterblock and the CPU.

However I have tried various amounts of Artic Silver from copious to miniscule and I always get high temps. This has been a source of frustration for me and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have a swiftech mcw5000 water block.

Here (http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5000.asp)

I have a homemade resevoir, and a large radiator with 2 120mm fans blowing thru it. I don't know why I am bothering to tell you as it is obviously not the problem.

My CPU has purply blue gunk on the core, and down the side onto the wafer, on the wafer it looks like about 2mm thick of gummy dried epoxy, I have no idea if this is normal but the cpu came like this and I don't want to try and destroy it by sanding, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

The Baron
11-01-03, 08:42 AM
Get some 90+% isopropyl alcohol, put it on a Q-tip, and start cleaning it off. That's the problem.

Acetone works wonders, but it's hard to find high concentrations of acetone. :p

Mineral spirits work well too.

sxotty
11-01-03, 08:49 AM
Baron what is the stuff though? I was worried it was in some way important since the CPU came with it on it. Do they put some kind of glue on them so you can't get thermal compound between the core and the wafer or what?

edit: I can get acetone easily enough, as I am a chemistry major

The Baron
11-01-03, 08:55 AM
I have no idea. Did you clean the core when you put the AS3 on? Because, you know, you're supposed to... so I'd say just give it a shot with isopropyl alcohol (just don't mistake hydrogen peroxide for isopropyl alcohol. I did that once. :p ).

sxotty
11-01-03, 10:47 AM
Well I swear I cleaned it, but I cannot tell you for sure, the first nf7-s, and processor I got died almost imediately (10days) after I installed them and I wasn't even doing anything, so perhaps I forgot on this one. I just cleaned it pretty well, and put it back together, it gave me a fright b/c it would not start (I was worried that I did not let it dry enough or got to much Alcohol on it), but luckily after taking th battery out and clearing the cmos it started up again.

Unfortunately it is still fairly hot, maybe I should not worry AMD website says that <80C is ok operating conditions for the Athlon XP revision B

The temp is down to 48C underload from 57C though so maybe just maybe it was succesful, how long does this stuff have to set?

The Baron
11-01-03, 11:31 AM
AS3 takes about 2-3 days to cool completely.

vampireuk
11-05-03, 06:32 AM
Gunk on core = bad

I hate the damn sticker they put on the base of a heatsink, I had no alcohol to help me so it took a while to clean.

Say would white spirits work?:D

sxotty
11-05-03, 06:51 AM
Vamp my heatsink was clean as a whistle, my processor itself had the stuff on it. It is down about 5 degrees C now, which is respectable but it still runs hotter than I believe it should.

schuey74
11-05-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by sxotty
Vamp my heatsink was clean as a whistle, my processor itself had the stuff on it. It is down about 5 degrees C now, which is respectable but it still runs hotter than I believe it should.

Your sig shows two different systems and I have no idea which you're watercooling. I use to run the same mobo & CPU as your P4 system (P4 2.2 @ 2.933) and my load temps would get to only 34c or 35c watercooled. I was only watercooling the CPU at that time and I had lapped it quite well so it was very efficent. I know AMD runs a bit hotter so if you're now in the high 40's under load, you're ok. But if it's your P4 system then you definetely have some problem somewhere.

sxotty
11-05-03, 03:43 PM
Yes it is the AMD system. It is at 52 underload, like prime95 for a long time, but it used to go up to 58, so the cleaning did something.

I am no longer worried about it though, I just figure that I am stuck with a hot processor that doesn't overclock well, or some other component and I am happy w/o getting a massiv overclock.