PDA

View Full Version : I feel Nvidia's Soundstorm is somewhat over rated

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
11-02-03, 12:53 PM
I mean, I like that it's fast, But I dont think the Quality of it is all that good, It sounds like pretty much every other onboard sound I have owned.

Just doesnt produce a crisp sound IMO.. Not Compared to the Santa Cruz.. Of course I notice frame rates are a bitbetter with the SoundStorm.

And in 3d audio I cant really tell the difference, But for Mp3/DVDs I do hear a difference,

Anyone else feel the same?

Sledge
11-02-03, 12:59 PM
IMHO, Soundstorm is better than CL's Audigy and, of course, every other on board sound chip. It is not better than the Audigy 2/2ZS.

The Baron
11-02-03, 01:00 PM
You may feel that Soundstorm is overrated.

I feel that you're UNSANE.

And you don't have an NF7-S, do you? So, I don't think that's even Soundstorm...

But, yes, Soundstorm has the best music output of any consumer-level sound card I've ever used. 3D output is... mmmm.... improving :)

ChrisRay
11-02-03, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
You may feel that Soundstorm is overrated.

I feel that you're UNSANE.

And you don't have an NF7-S, do you? So, I don't think that's even Soundstorm...

But, yes, Soundstorm has the best music output of any consumer-level sound card I've ever used. 3D output is... mmmm.... improving :)

I have an Asus AN78X Deluxe, And yes it has soundstorm.

In games, I dont notice a difference between 3d Audio with the Santa Cruz and Soundstorm. In DVDS and mp3's I notice a huge difference, I prefer the way the Turtle Beach card produces reverb.

If you had watched some of my threads, you woulda known that my Abit NF7 Died and I replaced it was an Asus A7N8X Deluxe from Asus.. Which has Soundstorm.

The Baron
11-02-03, 01:13 PM
you replaced it with an A7N8X? didn't realize that, sorry.

I dunno--I despise reverb and 3D sound because it always sounds fake (because I don't have a 5.1 system, just really good headphones). so for raw stereo output, the Soundstorm wins.

ChrisRay
11-02-03, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
you replaced it with an A7N8X? didn't realize that, sorry.

I dunno--I despise reverb and 3D sound because it always sounds fake (because I don't have a 5.1 system, just really good headphones). so for raw stereo output, the Soundstorm wins.

Ya, Thats the thing, Reverb On the Santa Cruz sounds much much different IMO.

CaptNKILL
11-02-03, 01:39 PM
Idunno, I have had horrible 3d sound quality with all soundcards (SBLive! 5.1, Santa Cruz, Vortex 2, integrated) but this one sounds great! I get some goofy little blips\scratches once in a while, but in Vietcong, I have perfect surround sound enabled (something that was impossible on any other soundcard i have tried).

What amazes me is that I get 5.1 surround OFF OF ONE ANALOG OUTPUT! I dont know how it does it, but my reciever is connected only to the front output, yet I have surround sound in all games that support it.

Because of this ability, Soundstorm is the #1 audio chip I have ever used... and all I had to do was buy a motherboard to get it :lol:

Sledge
11-02-03, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Idunno, I have had horrible 3d sound quality with all soundcards (SBLive! 5.1, Santa Cruz, Vortex 2, integrated) but this one sounds great! I get some goofy little blips\scratches once in a while, but in Vietcong, I have perfect surround sound enabled (something that was impossible on any other soundcard i have tried).

What amazes me is that I get 5.1 surround OFF OF ONE ANALOG OUTPUT! I dont know how it does it, but my reciever is connected only to the front output, yet I have surround sound in all games that support it.

Because of this ability, Soundstorm is the #1 audio chip I have ever used... and all I had to do was buy a motherboard to get it :lol:

Is it a coax connection? If so, then that explains it. You don't have to have a digital connection to send 5.1 data.

Dazz
11-02-03, 02:03 PM
Lol all digital speakers use 1 cable, Creative's Digital out, Optical Out Coaxial etc.

sxotty
11-02-03, 04:02 PM
Chris there is something you have to realize, and please understand this. Soundstorm is basically a chip that outputs digital sound information.
OK you have that?

Now the board has some terrible piece of crap that converts it to analog, and then people go man this motherboard doesn't sound as good as a dedicated sound card...well what do you expect.

Now if you use digital out, with dolby encoding (which btw is why soundstorm is ridiculously good) then you don't get the terrible sound and you get sound that is better than what a soundcard that costs more than the motherboard will output.

SO

We need creative/santa cruz and the motherboard manufacturers to allow a link between soundstorm and the soundcard that way digital sound could be turned to analog by quality components, or you need to buy a receiver and just use that.

btw I have had a santa cruz, I made machines for my brothers w/ 2 santa cruz's but this was 2 years ago.

sxotty
11-02-03, 04:06 PM
Captn kill it encodes in dolby prologic, which does travel thru one analog cable, I prefer to use digital than analog although I could do that as well.

The ability to use prologic, as well as AC3 is awesome b/c even old stereo equipment (before digital) does dolby prologic surround, heck you could probably buy an old reciever to hook up to your nforce for quite cheap now, and get superb sound.

ChrisRay
11-02-03, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by sxotty
Captn kill it encodes in dolby prologic, which does travel thru one analog cable, I prefer to use digital than analog although I could do that as well.

The ability to use prologic, as well as AC3 is awesome b/c even old stereo equipment (before digital) does dolby prologic surround, heck you could probably buy an old reciever to hook up to your nforce for quite cheap now, and get superb sound.

I have a Dolby Prologic Reciver hooked into the analog device (Which Splits it into a Stereo Signal which sends it to my Prologic Reciever, Clarify the best way to get my Dolby Digital Sound to work?

StealthHawk
11-02-03, 06:43 PM
Soundstorm is overrated. All it is is DD encoding. Whoopedfrickin doo. I guess if you don't have good EAX support that is something to get excited about. Or if you hate Creative Labs with a passion.

ChrisRay
11-02-03, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Soundstorm is overrated. All it is is DD encoding. Whoopedfrickin doo. I guess if you don't have good EAX support that is something to get excited about. Or if you hate Creative Labs with a passion.

Well I hate Creative Labs with a passion :) But I DO like my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz :)

jimbob0i0
11-02-03, 08:43 PM
Hi guys... saw an NF related discussion and had to jump in ;)

I'm the forst to admit the analog connection is very poor. The original NV refernce design used sigmatel codecs that gave a very good quality. However in teh interest of costs the partners chose the Reaktek AL650 codec over that one (and also the signal paths across the board are a bit uh dodgy to teh codec and then out again to the jacks)... and to be honest saying it is poor is like saying putting your hand in fire is warm... truthful but doesn't really give the full picture ;)

The only reasonable way to hook up the SS APU to speakers is via the digital out and DD encoding..... the only board I would say that is not the case with is the A7N266-C which uses a riser card and decent codecs... shame it was an NF1 board really ;)

Oh and Baron - 24 hours ish to go ;) I've put feedback threads (albeit locked) up in the drivers section of nfhq now... will unlock them when the UDP hits the masses.

The Baron
11-02-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
Oh and Baron - 24 hours ish to go ;) I've put feedback threads (albeit locked) up in the drivers section of nfhq now... will unlock them when the UDP hits the masses.
COUGH TO END ALL COUGHS

(ps. this is a hint. a splendiferous hint. and the official version? the Magick Crystal Ball That Is Actually Vamp's Bald Spot says 3.12, 3.13, thereabouts)

Rogozhin
11-03-03, 12:47 AM
It's pretty much redundant

Your crappy ass cdrom/cdrw/dvdrom All have cheapie DACS built into them to output to the soundcard or integrated sound.

That's why I use a seperate highend DAC Bel Canto
Design DAC2 Digital to Analog Converter
SKU: BELCANDAC2

and a seperate DRive (NAD 544) when I want to listen to real music.

For gaming just have my fort3 running to a seperates 5.1 setup and audiophile grade speakers, stands, lines, and speaker cables.

rogo

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 05:04 AM
hehe - which is why it's important not to allow the CD-ROM's DAC from being used - rip the digital data straight ov the IDE bus and let your amplifier take care of the DAC stuff ;)

sxotty
11-03-03, 11:15 AM
Chris sorry I have not responded. The best way to hook up a receiver is if you have a digital connection... Then you do not employ the bad DAC's on the motherboard.

If you do not have a digital connection then you have to use pro-logic, which I assume you have seen in the user cp for soundstorm. It is my belief (someone correct me if I am wrong) that prologic is analog, but specially mixed so that the receiver can decode it, if this is the case then unfortunately you must rely on the poor components on the motherboard still. This is just to the best of my knowledge, I have it hooked up thru digital on mine, I don't have anything else in the back.

To be honest I would really like a soundstorm type card b/c I wish I could plug a headset into my soundcard (and if I use motherboard it sounds terrrible) I loved my gametheaterXP for this, but I love DD sound better :)

ChrisRay
11-03-03, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sxotty
Chris sorry I have not responded. The best way to hook up a receiver is if you have a digital connection... Then you do not employ the bad DAC's on the motherboard.

If you do not have a digital connection then you have to use pro-logic, which I assume you have seen in the user cp for soundstorm. It is my belief (someone correct me if I am wrong) that prologic is analog, but specially mixed so that the receiver can decode it, if this is the case then unfortunately you must rely on the poor components on the motherboard still. This is just to the best of my knowledge, I have it hooked up thru digital on mine, I don't have anything else in the back.

To be honest I would really like a soundstorm type card b/c I wish I could plug a headset into my soundcard (and if I use motherboard it sounds terrrible) I loved my gametheaterXP for this, but I love DD sound better :)

K. There's Dolby Surround encoding. I guess can assume thats Prologic Mode? and Yes I have a Dolby Prologic Reciever.

saturnotaku
11-03-03, 11:55 AM
Soundstorm is by far the best integrated audio solution ever, period. But I don't think it's the best overall choice for those of us who get audio through plain 'ol desktop powered speakers. I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers plugged into the analog ports. Nothing spectacular, but my Audigy 2 sounds significantly better than my Soundstorm did. Now if you don't want to shell out the $80 extra for an Audigy 2, Soundstorm will do you just fine, but my investment in the A2 was well worth it. :)

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 12:53 PM
bah - if only the mobo partners had use steh sigmatel chips the reference board used - or even better crystal - then it would have exceed audigy in analog as well as digital... ah well - such as life.....

fivefeet8
11-03-03, 01:06 PM
Nforce 3.13 drivers are out. Get them at Nvidia.com. Fixes for Audio as well as new Ide drivers.

volt
11-03-03, 02:33 PM
SS is pretty good actually. Doesn't eat a lot of my resources, it doesn't hang in games (SBLive loved to) and it sounds pretty decent / comparable to other solutions.

StealthHawk
11-03-03, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Soundstorm is by far the best integrated audio solution ever, period. But I don't think it's the best overall choice for those of us who get audio through plain 'ol desktop powered speakers. I have a set of Altec Lansing speakers plugged into the analog ports. Nothing spectacular, but my Audigy 2 sounds significantly better than my Soundstorm did. Now if you don't want to shell out the $80 extra for an Audigy 2, Soundstorm will do you just fine, but my investment in the A2 was well worth it. :)

Totally agree.

Soundstorm is great as integrated sound goes. It's just not anywhere close to being the be all end all of PC sound.