PDA

View Full Version : NForce IDE drivers evil? and some confusion here

Gator
11-03-03, 07:34 AM
Nforce newb here... so I've heard the NForce IDE drivers are evil and can cause problems. Interestingly when I freshly installed WinXP a month ago, I simply downloaded the Nforce 2.45 driver package from Nvidia.com and double clicked it. It installed all the default stuff it wanted too, and yet according to my device manager my IDE drivers are from Microsoft and are not version 3.x like the ethernet and other devices are. Does this mean Nvidia acknowledges problems with their IDE drivers? Should I leave it like this and make a full effort to prevent the IDE drivers from being updated by any future NForce driver package releases?

Take a look at my attachment, further confusing is that in the "IDE properties" the driver provider was Nvidia, but in the "Driver details" the provider is Microsoft, and there are two different versions between them? I'm really confused here.

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 08:07 AM
The original nForce SW IDE driver had uh 'issues' .... the new SW IDE driver due out today has been beta tested for a long tim by the beta tester team over at nforcershq and is a very well written piece of software ;)

Phylter
11-03-03, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
The original nForce SW IDE driver had uh 'issues' .... the new SW IDE driver due out today has been beta tested for a long tim by the beta tester team over at nforcershq and is a very well written piece of software ;)

Is there a specific forum or web site that I can keep track of all the upcoming driver releases for the nforce2 chipset? Thanks for the information BTW.

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 08:36 AM
check my signature....

I came upon that forum more than a year ago now .... really helped me with NF1 and NF2 bits.... about 6 months ago (maybe ... can't recall exactly) I started moderating there. It is a very active community which is primarily based around nForce tips, tricks and tech support. The beta testing group for nForce drivers (of which I am a member) resides there and the nForce driver team reads the threads there regularly.

If you use IM checkout my profile at nfhq for IM details for me..... I am more than happy to help out people new to the nforce with issues over msn/icq/yahoo and I can give you a bit more info there about bits if you want.

Dazz
11-03-03, 10:06 AM
These drivers from ASUS don't seem to too be bad benched them and they seem to be on par with other drives, for both my 80GB WD SE & 10GB IBM DESKSTAR.

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 10:29 AM
The Asus drivers are NOT the newly coded NV SW ones.... they are due 'extremely' shortly

Gator
11-03-03, 10:55 AM
so... how about my original questions:

Should I leave it like this and make a full effort to prevent the IDE drivers from being updated by any future NForce driver package releases

and

Take a look at my attachment, further confusing is that in the "IDE properties" the driver provider was Nvidia, but in the "Driver details" the provider is Microsoft, and there are two different versions between them? I'm really confused here.

Vash
11-03-03, 01:10 PM
I don't believe the 2.45 Nforce 2 drivers included an IDE driver. But then, I could be wrong.

I'll be installing these tonight; I'll post back on my results.

Ancient
11-03-03, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Gator
so... how about my original questions:

[quote]Should I leave it like this and make a full effort to prevent the IDE drivers from being updated by any future NForce driver package releases

Wait until there is further feedback on the new IDE drivers, that is, if you don't want to take the risk and dive in head-first ahead of time.

and

The confusion comes about, and this is imo, because you have to keep in mind that the MCP2 (which is the southbridge chip) handles more than just IDE. It's also used for audio, LAN, and USB. So what's happening is that it's probably picking up the driver version and provider on the Driver tab from another driver but when you go into Details it shows you the driver version and provider for the actual IDE drivers themselves. At least, that's what I can imagine it's doing. Maybe someone else has an alternate and better explanation though.

Gator
11-03-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ancient
Wait until there is further feedback on the new IDE drivers, that is, if you don't want to take the risk and dive in head-first ahead of time.

Ok, so I really donot have an Nvidia IDE driver, and the 2.45 never came with one anyway. That's good to know, and I'm gonna wait awhile and see the reviews on the IDE drivers. My computer is working great and I don't wanna mess with it at the moment.

Originally posted by Ancient
The confusion comes about, and this is imo, because you have to keep in mind that the MCP2 (which is the southbridge chip) handles more than just IDE. It's also used for audio, LAN, and USB. So what's happening is that it's probably picking up the driver version and provider on the Driver tab from another driver but when you go into Details it shows you the driver version and provider for the actual IDE drivers themselves. At least, that's what I can imagine it's doing. Maybe someone else has an alternate and better explanation though.

VERY INTERESTING! What you're saying makes perfect sense. Ok, so yes my MCP2 is Nvidia driver, but my actual IDE driver is Microsoft. Sounds good to me for now :)

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 02:10 PM
heh so far so good..... the IDE feedback thread at nfhq is full of praise and only a couple of minor bits that could be attributable to unclean system etc... :)

Phylter
11-03-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jimbob0i0
check my signature....

I came upon that forum more than a year ago now .... really helped me with NF1 and NF2 bits.... about 6 months ago (maybe ... can't recall exactly) I started moderating there. It is a very active community which is primarily based around nForce tips, tricks and tech support. The beta testing group for nForce drivers (of which I am a member) resides there and the nForce driver team reads the threads there regularly.

If you use IM checkout my profile at nfhq for IM details for me..... I am more than happy to help out people new to the nforce with issues over msn/icq/yahoo and I can give you a bit more info there about bits if you want.

Thank you for the offer. I might have to take you up on the offer in the future.

jimbob0i0
11-03-03, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Phylter
Thank you for the offer. I might have to take you up on the offer in the future.

Heh - well it's the reason I mod at that forum ;) I love the community there (err most of the time... apart from certain peeps how irritate me ;)) and I love to help people sort out their troubles.