PDA

View Full Version : Athlon FX53 (2.4GHz) before the end of the year

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sledge
11-04-03, 11:49 AM
The Pentium 4 Emergency Edition will not laugh last ;)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12490

Riptide
11-04-03, 12:57 PM
P4EE is such a gimmick. Gawd what a waste...

Will this FX53 require registered memory?

Vash
11-04-03, 01:04 PM
I hope not. I'd rather not have to spend another wad of cash on replacing my brand new Corsair DDR400...

Dazz
11-04-03, 01:49 PM
ALL 940pin CPU's need ECC memory, the 939pin don't thats the diffrence.

Riptide
11-04-03, 01:53 PM
Oh well, so much for that then. Guess I'll be waiting until well into next year then. Maybe by the time they get the .09 w/no ECC requirement out PCI express will come with the accompanying motherboards.

Dazz
11-04-03, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Sledge
The Pentium 4 Emergency Edition will not laugh last ;)

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12490 I thought the Pentium 4 Extreamely Expensive Edition was better :D

Sledge
11-04-03, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
I thought the Pentium 4 Extreamely Expensive Edition was better :D

But then it would be called the P4EEE which is pronounced Pee For EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Which is the sound you make when you see it's price tag :) Not that the A64/AFX is much better :p

Viral
11-05-03, 12:53 AM
Although this will be a 940pin processor.. its still a good thing.

This will undoubtedly outperform P4EE @ 3.2ghz by a wide margine, and still probably cost less. I'm not so certain it will take the FX-51's price of $733, but i doubt it will be over $900. Hopefully we will see the FX-51's price drop also.. $500-$650 sounds good to me.

I expect to see the FX-55 be the first 90nm 939pin AFX. And if this current speculation about the FX-53 launching this year is true, then we may see the FX-55 by the end of Q1 '04. That should make it quite affordable by the time i look at buying one.. also, AMD may make a 939pin FX-53 and even a FX-51.... to increase production they will need to make them 90nm anyway.. so why not offer a 939pin version? This way, all those waiting for 939pin FX's may be able to afford one when the FX-55 hits, but in the form of a still fairly impressvie FX-53 or 51. Thats what i'm hoping anyway.

StealthHawk
11-05-03, 03:58 AM
And what is stopping Intel from paper launching a faster, higher clocked P4EE at the same time as the AthlonFX53?

Dazz
11-05-03, 04:26 AM
I myself am waiting on the 939pin Athlon FX as it and it's boards will be cheaper only 4 layer PCB boards are needed :)

sytaylor
11-05-03, 05:45 AM
..for me its a case of wait and see.. pci express and new form factor motherboards on the way mean there are a lot of potential upgrades on the way and theyre no doubt oging ot be staggered

Sledge
11-05-03, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by sytaylor
..for me its a case of wait and see.. pci express and new form factor motherboards on the way mean there are a lot of potential upgrades on the way and theyre no doubt oging ot be staggered

I want an A64 badly but that is what's holding me back (besides the high prices for the CPU, ECC RAM, and 6 layer mobos :p). Intel says BTX is the next form factor. Therefore, it will happen. Guaranteed. Couple that with the replacement of AGP by PCI Express X## and the future looks a little shaky when you're trying to buy parts that are at least a little future proof.

Dazz
11-05-03, 07:12 AM
Yeap it sure does suck, i wish Intell didn't keep on forcing people to upgrade after everything they do :rolleyes:

sxotty
11-05-03, 08:10 AM
Yeah I am anxiously awaiting Pci express/ nv40/r420 this spring will be nice :)

Viral
11-06-03, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
And what is stopping Intel from paper launching a faster, higher clocked P4EE at the same time as the AthlonFX53?

3.4/3.2*100=106.25%
2.4/2.2*100=109.09%

Keep in mind that most benchmarks comparing opterons have showen that K8 scales very well. These are theoretical numbers.. in all reality the P4 EE may only benefit ~4% under most situations and the FX could scale much better, providing ~8% more performance in most apps.

Seeing the current P4EE hardly looks inviting at its current price, is eating away at justifyable Xeon prices, and already doesnt seem to 'beat' the FX-51.. i hardly think a 3.4ghz will do much for intel.

A 3.4ghz EE will:
- Make any 3.4ghz prescott launch useless as far as high end buyers are concerned... price/performance is all it will bring, no performance.
- Mean P4EE 3.2ghz prices must go down.. intel cant afford this..
- Get beaten in more benchmarks by the FX-53 than the 3.2ghz EE was beat by the FX-51 in.(see above calculations).

At the moment i really dont see P4EE as a true contendor to the FX-51... the only people who want one seem to be blind to facts. With the information i have listed above, the 3.4ghz EE would most likely prove to be an even less inviting option.

Dazz
11-06-03, 04:28 AM
I don't think we will see the P4 Northwood hitting 3.4GHz as it is EXTREMELY high clock speed for air cooling.

Malfunction
11-07-03, 06:53 AM
Yeap it sure does suck, i wish Intell didn't keep on forcing people to upgrade after everything they do :rolleyes:

How is that? The i875 Chipset supports the 400Mhz, 533Mhz and 800Mhz FSB Processors while still supporting Celerons. You really lost me with that statement. Everything since the i845 has gotten better for the Intel P4's.

Intel going Dual Channel has been one of the biggest lifts, however they did it at 400Mhz DDR unlike AMD going 333Mhz DDR at first, then migrating to DDR400. If you ask me, you all got screwed with that deal for just a 100Mhz DDR increase for Dual Channel opperation.

Because the Prescott is still in developement (Probly because of the new High-K Metal gate transistor), it has me tickled. I love seeing the comparisons of the FX with the P4EE and 3.2C involved. The majority of the time the 3.2C is not too far behind which excites the P out of me because I got my 2.8C O/C'd to 3.5Ghz. I think that puts me a bit closer to the P4EE or maybe a bit beyond which makes the Northwood D a really great value till Prescott comes in with that new High-K Metal gate transistor.

Peace,

:D

Dazz
11-07-03, 07:21 AM
Last i heard the i875 didn't support any 400MHz FSB CPU's but it did support the 533MHz ones. I think the i865 did however, and i know the SIS 655/FX did.

Again you can't really compire the x86-64 to anything as there is NOTHING that can run 64bit and 32bit well. The x86-64 uses SOI which still has lot of room but neededs to be improved apon, as will Intel's Kmetal even when it comes out. Again i would expect the P4 EE to be faster then the early Prescotts due to 50% extra cache but to be far more afordable. Again the FX x86-64 is faster then the P4EE which runs 1GHz faster has 50% more cache AND is $200 more.

Now you will say but ECC memory is expensive, it's only £20 more expenive then Corsairs PC3200LL memory.

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=121120&p=&t=1014&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=9&cks=PRL

MUYA
11-07-03, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction

Because the Prescott is still in developement (Probly because of the new High-K Metal gate transistor), it has me tickled. I love seeing the comparisons of the FX with the P4EE and 3.2C involved. The majority of the time the 3.2C is not too far behind which excites the P out of me because I got my 2.8C O/C'd to 3.5Ghz. I think that puts me a bit closer to the P4EE or maybe a bit beyond which makes the Northwood D a really great value till Prescott comes in with that new High-K Metal gate transistor.

Peace,

the High K metal gate is supposed to be appaearing on Intel CPU's during 2007. They just made the break through, mass production using that tech is another question, if i recall correctly dark visions said, that highk might be used with 45nm tech. not exactly sure.
Intel expects that they will be able to use this new transistor in 2007 for their P1266-proces, and that they will be able to make them at 45 nanometer.
MUYA

Dazz
11-07-03, 07:49 AM
Finally found a place that sells a P4 EE 3.2GHz but is OEM and it's £100 more the the Retail FX64, also seen some cheaper ECC Memory from TwinMOS PC3200 EEC £154 for 1GB thats pretty cheap for 1GB of memory.

sxotty
11-07-03, 08:04 AM
There is no doubt AMD has done better with compatibility, i.e. my brothers old board that has a 850Mhz processor in it can go up to 2600+, but things change, and hopefully we will be getting faster memory anyway soon, 400mhz ddr is just so old hat now :).

MUYA
11-07-03, 08:09 AM
Finally found a place that sells a P4 EE 3.2GHz but is OEM and it's £100 more the the Retail FX64, also seen some cheaper ECC Memory from TwinMOS PC3200 EEC £154 for 1GB thats pretty cheap for 1GB of memory.

Thats quite cheap! I got my Geil pc3200 1GB kit for £120 ish...and some Corsair pc3200 dual memory kits cost as much as twice that? And u are in the UK..never mind VAT ;)

Cheers

MUYA

Malfunction
11-07-03, 08:30 AM

That's the problem though, accessibility. I can't tell where you stand on this, consumer or enthusiast. As a consumer, you can't just walk into Best Buy and get yourself 1GB of ECC DDR. Now, that might sound a little extreme but there are alot of people who still don't buy much from the internet and would rather buy it in person because of fear.

Next, we are talking about support right now and the Socket 939 will support non - ECC memory while the Socket 940 won't. Then you have the whole future proof or atleast extended life of the memory with DDR500 and DDR II making there way into the industry, seems like AMD is acting more like you say Intel is.

Then you got price. Like I said, the price of a Northwood D is just too damn hard to beat in my eyes for the amount of power and overclockability you get. It appears to me like it is the Bartons for the AMD. Thought you AMD lovers were about value/performance... not soley performance.

I dunno, seems like it is just to early to make a decision on purchasing a FX anytime soon if at all.

Peace,

:)

Malfunction
11-07-03, 09:04 AM
Like I said, it is awfully hard to beat the value/performance of the Northwood D...

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article3.asp?datePublish=2003/11/06&pages=A7&seq=47

Intel early this week updated its chipset roadmap and decided to add a new Alderwood chipset to its Grantsdale family. Positioned as the flagship product in the Grantsdale line, the Alderwood chipset will be the successor to the 875P (Canterwood).

The new chipset will be available in the second quarter of next year. It will support an 800MHz FSB (front-side bus) and DDR2 dual-channel memory, in common with the 875P.

Intel launched the 875P in April. The chipset is the company’s most expensive desktop chipset to date, priced at US$53 for a version with integrated software RAID and US$50 for a non-RAID version. The FOB (free on board) price of an 875P motherboard is over US$150 per unit, with some priced at over US$200.

It is believed that the Alderwood will continue to help Intel attack the high-end DIY market and boost the company’s average selling price (ASP).

DDR-II... I want you! lol :D

Peace,

Dazz
11-07-03, 10:57 AM
Yeap i have alittle tempted with the 2.6C + i865 for £220 but my memory an't great overclockers, that and ,my XP is running at 2.3GHz (2.4GHz runs abit hot then i want it too) so peformance wise it would be replacing something for something simlar so i am going to wait for the 64FX w/ DDR-2 and pick up some decent memory at the same time. Also the other thing putting me off with the P4 was the memory has to be the same, i have TwinMOS PC2700 that can do 400MHz 2.5/3/3/8 and ****e Infinion PC3200 3/3/3/9 which overclocks less then my TwinMOS!! Fact is i don't know how the Intel dual channel with acomindate the two memory types.