PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a watercooling system?

Rampant CL
11-04-03, 09:41 PM
FIRST:

I put this here as chances are the ones who know more about procs and mobos will be posting here, and not general hardware.

NEXT:

I'm thinking of getting a watercooling setup for my barton and fx 5800, and i wanted to know of any suggestions anyone has.

Also, who here has a watercooling setup and whats your opinions of them, pros, cons of specific makes, general advice. I want the whole shebang

Thanks guys

jAkUp
11-04-03, 11:38 PM
i do.. nothing advanced though, just a koolance cpu/nb watercooling... i really want to the the hd cooler though, but i need to drain the liquid!! that sucks:(

i just got my kit about a week ago, and i love it... i can overclock high and my temp stays right at around 85 degrees... i admit i was a little leery about liquid in my $3,000 system.. but you only live once :) the hoses fit on super tight, so im not really scared about leaking anymore... best of all, its dead silent:D

vampireuk
11-05-03, 06:28 AM
I'm also thinking about watercooling the next system I've got.

Search through this listing (http://www.nvnews.net/cgi-bin/search_news.cgi?keyword=water) for a bunch of reviews of water cooling kits. Where is bladerunner these days? Usually he jumps at the words water cooling:D

schuey74
11-05-03, 11:05 AM
I can't recommend watercooling enough. I'm running mine in a loop with the water hitting my CPU first then cooling of the peltier on my 9800Pro. My load temps on a P4 2.6 @ 3.46 (266 FSB) stay between 35c & 37c and idles about 3c above ambient. These full load temps are after running 3DM03 for an hour to make sure I heat up the water to max on my pelt. as well. I've gone thru three different systems on this watercooling rig and the only headache was when I added the peltier because I had to bleed the system dry before adding it. Not a big deal, but a bit time consuming. Now I usually bleed & fill my system every three months or so to keep air bubbles to a minimum. And the quietness depends on how hard you want to push your system. You can have a nicely overclocked and dead quiet system or something pushed a little more to the limit with a little bit more noise. Adding NB or HD watercooling to this type of setup is probably not worth it because you would probably end up pushing your pump to the limit and your flowrate would suffer quite a bit. All the extra turns, tubing, and additional heat being disipated would require a pretty extreme watercooling setup. But you could definetely get away with it if what you want is quiet lightly overclocked system.

I hope this helps.:cool:

sxotty
11-05-03, 03:49 PM
Well from my other thread you can see I have it, and even though I am not getting stelar results I do recommend it.

The following site has a good product.
http://www.xoxide.com/qudi.html

I have a few of these and now to drain my system it is extremely easy, you just click it and it opens, but when open it cannot leak, so I have a hose with a valve I clip in and then open the valve and the system drains. Also my pump is outside my case, and this way I can take the sytem apart in like 3 seconds to transport it.

Rampant CL
11-05-03, 05:31 PM
Thanks, am checking through the info now.

gokickrocks
11-05-03, 05:53 PM
pros
------
can be silent if you set it up right
can add more water blocks if needed
easy to chill the water (peltier or a/c compressor)

cons
------
can be costly
pain to insulate when you have blocks/tubes all over the place (if you go subambient)

i myself, used to have a watercooling set up, but have for long while now been using phase change, so im not quite caught up with watercooling anymore

Rampant CL
11-05-03, 07:37 PM
what sort of phase change setup? any linkies?

gokickrocks
11-05-03, 10:54 PM
i have a r404a filled prometeia mach 1, and will soon be building a phase change system of my own

heres a link to the info on the mach 2
http://www.nventiv.com/index.php?pageid=43

and for more info on phase change systems
http://www.phase-change.com/

Rampant CL
11-06-03, 09:18 AM
Thanks, this is giving me a lot of info, which is a good thing.