PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty on 5950 Ultra

Pages : [1] 2

AnteP
11-05-03, 06:39 AM
I have a Leadtek 5950 Ultra 256 (running at 500/1000) and a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128 MB (running at 400/700).
I have a slight dilemma with both my boards.

I'm trying to play Call of Duty at 1280x1024 using maximum settings and 2xAA/8xAF (Quality settings on both the nVidia and ATi board).

Problem is: on the 9800 Pro the game crashes and has lots of hiccups ('m pretty much 100% certain that the hiccups are due to the board having only 128 MBs). When it's not crashing and in between the hiccups the framerate is more than fine on the Radeon board.

But I can't have a game that's crashing and "hitching" every minute so I plugge din my 5950 Ultra.

Ok so no more crashes and no hiccups. But the fps is really bad, certainly not enjoyable at all.

So right now I'm at 1024x768 2xAA/4xAF with a freakkin' 5950 Ultra :( That sucks badly...

Any ideas on how to improve performance in this game (other than buying a 9800 Pro 256 MB and running the Catalyst 3.7 drivers which don't crash)?

DMA
11-05-03, 06:50 AM
If you are trying to play the game with general/character textures set to 'extra' the game runs like crap.
Set those to high and it should be smooth :)

Great game btw. Played it three times already :cool:

Dazz
11-05-03, 08:51 AM
Yeah Cat 3.8's + COD = No go i am plagued with problems with that also.

LiquidX
11-05-03, 09:02 AM
I think it maybe a driver problem with the ATI, two guys in my clan has the game crash on them frequently while some have not with the same card. One did recommend the omega drivers because he was not haveing the same problems, so that may be a fix.

And having only 128MB? I dont know AnteP, I am able to run that game maxed out on a Ti4200 64MB with with no AA and AF settings set to quality. All most no slow down and very few hiccups. Maybe my system is just tweaked to the max.:)

dan2097
11-05-03, 09:17 AM
Could set texture detail to high instead of extra and use the 3.7s

jbirney
11-05-03, 09:55 AM
truned off fast writes worked for me on my 9700pro. With out that it was lock city with COD. Last I check there was a thread over on Rage that was over 17 pages long on this COD issue.

AnteP
11-05-03, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by dan2097
Could set texture detail to high instead of extra and use the 3.7s

yeah but the point was to try to make my 500 dollar videocard perform normally at the highest settings
I won't settle for less :)

as for 256 MB
if you have everything at "extra" and use fairly high res and AA it seems to me as if the memory "runs out" because it's the exact same hiccups I get in applications where I know that memory is not enough (Comanche 4 and UT2003 for an example)
I say this because it worked just fine without hiccups on the 9800 XT, problem is I had to sen dthat board back to ATi :(

I tried turning off fast writes and all sort of other hacks for the 9800, didn't work
only thing that works is going back to 16 bit texture catalysts (aka 3.7)

but I'd rather have it working on the 5950 though since that's what I'm using primarilly now

Hellbinder
11-05-03, 10:39 AM
AntP,

That seems to be a known issue with CoD. Its been officially reported.

The strange thing is is does not affect everyone.

(edit: not with CoD but with the Cats)

ChrisRay
11-05-03, 10:48 AM
Where can I download the Demo for this game? what Kinda FPS are you getting at that resolution?

Cuz that does sound to encouraging for 4x/8x @ 1024x768 for me.

Dazz
11-05-03, 11:08 AM
You can get it pretty much anywhere, try www.Fileplanet.com it's there.

ChrisRay
11-05-03, 11:27 AM
Ya I downloaded it.. But I'm not seeing what he describes.. I'm Playing it at 4x AA and 8x Quality AF @ High Mip Map Detail and I'm getting very playable frame rates.

Maybe his defintion of playable is different than mine...

AnteP
11-05-03, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Ya I downloaded it.. But I'm not seeing what he describes.. I'm Playing it at 4x AA and 8x Quality AF @ High Mip Map Detail and I'm getting very playable frame rates.

Maybe his defintion of playable is different than mine...

the demo levels are pretty fine compared to most other parts of the game
but the main story is that the demo doesn't have all maximum detail options available

ChrisRay
11-05-03, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by AnteP
the demo levels are pretty fine compared to most other parts of the game
but the main story is that the demo doesn't have all maximum detail options available

Gotcha, So we're talken All features enabled ect? k :P

AnteP
11-05-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Gotcha, So we're talken All features enabled ect? k :P

huh
me no comprende

I think the thing that missing is the high detail textures (which are also responsible for tanking performance, which is also why I assume the dmeo ran fine on all my boards even with 4xAA)

ClyssaN
11-05-03, 02:43 PM
try the radeon with the new cats 9.

AnteP
11-05-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ClyssaN
try the radeon with the new cats 9.

doesn't work
I can't belive they even considered releasing those drivers without a fix, that's just plain wrong

Skinner
11-05-03, 03:34 PM
doesn't work
I can't belive they even considered releasing those drivers without a fix, that's just plain wrong

I know, sad but true, I like the effort ATI spent in regular updates, but this one needs attention now, the game is hot and could run awesome on the R3xx's, I'm wondering how they tested actually drivers, they need a gamer in their department.

The bad thing is, bugfixes are walking behind, when reading Serious Sam trueform is fixed, good but what about Jedi Academy and COD they are played right now..

bingo13
11-05-03, 03:36 PM
AnteP,

Did you turn off VPU Recover and ensure fastwrites is off? I have not had a single lock up on my 9800Pro or XT with the Omega 3.8 dell drivers. I have all in game options set to their highest option. I am using 4xAA/8xAF at 1024x768. I have played through the game three times now.
I am now playing it on a BFG 5950 with the same settings and it is more than playable. I will have some screenshots up later for a blind test as I am having some problems determining which card has the better picture. ;)

Morrow
11-05-03, 03:41 PM
Ok so no more crashes and no hiccups. But the fps is really bad, certainly not enjoyable at al.

There must be something wrong with your setup. My 5900 Ultra with 52.16 driver runs smooth at 50-60fps with 1280x1024 4xAA/8xAF on max details...

Played through CoD and the worst fps I had with this setting was something about 30fps...

AnteP
11-05-03, 05:31 PM
My rig:
Athlon XP 3200+
768 MB Corsair PC3200 2-5-2-2
ABIT NF7S 2.0 (all bios settings optimized)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Leadtek GeForce FX 5950 Ultra @ 500/1000 / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB @ 400/700
Windows XP SP1 + all updates
very fast HD ;)

latest drivers, BIOSes, firmware for everything

Settings:
Driver:
2x FSAA / 4x Aniso
Quality
32 bit textures
never vsync
Through rivatuner:
compress to DXT3 instead of DXT1

Game:
Graphics:
Video Mode: 1280x1024
Full Screen: Yes
Character textures: Extra
General textures: Extra
Texture filtering: Trilinear
Texture quality: 32 bit

Sound:
Subtitles: Yes
Sound quality: 44 KHz
Sound provider: EAX 3.0

Performance:
Wallmarks: On
Eject brass: On
Dynamic lights: Everything
World dynamic lights quality: Nicest
Model Detail: Maximum
Syn every frame: No
Show blood: Yes
Corpse stay: Insane

with this performance simply sucks in many parts of the game with the 5950 Ultra
the 9800 Pro does better in general but suffers from hiccups and crashes

I noticed pretty strange stuff
like in the Stalingrad map when I've arrived to the guy with the radio my fps is very fluent when I look at him or in his direction in general
but when I turn around to the way I came from (and all I see now is a wall and some sky above it, nothing else) the fps simply drops to the teens
almost like it was rendering the whole beach that's behind the wall I'm staring at

AnteP
11-05-03, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by OWA
I haven't compared them a lot yet but in general I think I'm seeing what you do. On the 5900U (in a slightly slower system though) the highs are higher but the lows are much lower on the 5900U versus the AIW 9800 Pro. The lows on the 5900U were in the low 30's and it wasn't what I'd consider playable (basically it was given me a headache trying to play it like that). I used your 1280x1024x32 2xAA and 8xAF settings with all game settings maxed (except, I think I had blood turned off on both systems).

I'm not sure what the deal is. I tried that earlier on when the demo was first released and found that it played extremely well with all settings cranked to the highest and using AA and AF. Now that doesn't seem to be the case for me and I'm not sure what is different just yet. I can't remember which version of the dets I was using at the time (this comparison was done with the 52.16s and since I guess I'm semi-lucky with the cats, the 3.9s with the opengl file from the 3.8s -- that is, I'm one of the ones that the 3.8s seem to work for in COD).

glad to hear I'm not alone

as for the demo running better it simply has lower quality* (and not full control over all quality settings so you can't max it out)

*they have lower quality textures to make the download smaller

fivefeet8
11-07-03, 12:16 AM
In those slow places, try enabling/disabling the "Nvidia fog" option. I also get some strange hiccups as well in COD with my Fx5900u. No crashes, just hiccups in certain places even when there is no fog. Disabling/enabling that option fixes it though with no apparent difference. Strange.

I'm playing the full game at 1280x1024 2xAA, 8xAF with maxed out options. Runs pretty nice. Well 30fps min for me is good. Here is a Fraps log using the above settings.

2003-11-06 20:55:38 - CoDSP
Frames: 8127 - Time: 111422ms - Avg: 72.938 - Min: 36 - Max: 170

Done during the early trench scenarios near the beginning blowing up the big guns. I usually play the game at 1024x768 4xAA-8xAF though.

lukar
11-07-03, 12:26 AM
I have Radeon 9800XT, and no problems with the game...

hmmmmmm

Rytr
11-07-03, 01:06 AM
Just got the game and ran thru the first three levels with no problem. I am running the 5900U 2xAA, 8xAF and getting averages in the 70's, no different than the demos. In the demos the 5900U ran in the 70's maxxed out. The full game does appear to have higher detail and I will try max settings tommorrow. I run with fast writes off.

My 9800Pro ran the demos without any hiccups with the 3.7's at maximum settings. Frame rates were around 100. I have yet to try it with the full game but I will this weekend with the 9800Pro in my Intel system.

Nv40
11-07-03, 11:33 AM
well.. i finished COD SP... without any issue... at 1280x1024 AF8x noAA everything extra high, in a geforce ti4400.. with smooth FPs.. now playing at same settings but
with AA4x on and still playable.. for me more than 30fps in a single player is ok.

maybe is my 1Gb of ram and my tweaked machine that is helping my rig to get good Fps because i have a cheap Atlonxp cpu .. :)