PDA

View Full Version : back to nvidia

Pages : [1] 2

emailthatguy
11-05-03, 03:09 PM
Well, in a few days here im ordering a new system. going back to nvidia w/ a 5950U system.

Just wanted to pop my head back in here for a sec and say hi =p.

later everyone,

me

EMunEeE
11-05-03, 03:25 PM
hi

nForceMan
11-05-03, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by emailthatguy
Well, in a few days here im ordering a new system. going back to nvidia w/ a 5950U system.

Excellent choice! :thumbsup:

Welcome back! :balloon:

Dazz
11-05-03, 05:42 PM
What was it you replaced?

MikeC
11-05-03, 06:25 PM
Congratulations on your new system. :D Stay tuned I hope to have my article posted later tonight. I think you'll find it interesting.

EvilEye
11-05-03, 06:26 PM
Hi!

Niiiiiice!

Cheers!

bkswaney
11-05-03, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
Congratulations on your new system. :D Stay tuned I hope to have my article posted later tonight. I think you'll find it interesting.

Glad to hear it mike. :D

Congrats on the new rig. :)
U might want to save some $ and just get a 5900U.
Most all of them will overclock over the 5950's speeds anyway.
Thats what I did. ;)

emailthatguy
11-05-03, 06:53 PM
thanks everyone.

dunno if you guys remembered my old post. but im giving my 9700/axp 2400+ system to my girlfriend and getting myself a barton 2500+ system w/ 5950U to replace it.

btw, im picking it up from ibuypower.com. anyone ever dealt with these guys?

edit: oops silly me i put 5900 instead of 5950. heh fixed that

cthellis
11-05-03, 11:00 PM
$500 cards make my head hurt. -_- I'd rather get lower-priced card, "suffer" with 15-20% less performance, and upgrade my entire core system instead. :p

emailthatguy
11-05-03, 11:06 PM
going with the barton to just hold me over till athlon64 chips come down from being so stupidly overpriced.

Rytr
11-05-03, 11:52 PM
Congratz on your new system!

jimbob0i0
11-06-03, 04:58 AM
Any chance of running a comparison between your old rig and your new one in some shader intensive tests? I would be 'EXTREMELY' interested to hear your results..... ;)

mrgoodcheese
11-06-03, 02:24 PM
Save some $, go with a BFG 5900 (non U), $200 at BB now, if you can find one.

I was very please to see it clock to over the stock of a 5950, and run perfect in BattleField with all settings maxed and 4AA/4AF. I'm still testing mine, but currently have the 3D clock at 505/955, on stock cooling.

emailthatguy
11-06-03, 03:07 PM
hey guys,

before i order this thing (within the next few days is what im planning on) i was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind taking a look and possibly letting me know if you know of a lil better deal than what im planning on paying. as i said i plan on ordering the system from ibuypower.com for 1378.00

heres what im ordering,

asus a7n8x-x mobo
raidmax scorpio-868 w/ 420w power supply (green case)

green cold cathode

athonxp 2500+ barton (512 cache)

512 mb dual channel ddr-400 (2x256mb)

maxtor 80 gb 7200 rpm ata-133

geforcefx 5950 ultra (called them, they said its the evga model)

16x dvd rom (green bezel)

cheap speakers (goin to my girl no way shes getting my logitechs =p)

floppy (green bezel)

keyboard and mouse (green)

viewsonic e90f 19" perfect flat monitor (green case)

winxp home

norton anti virus 2003

warranty

round cables

as i said it comes up 1378.00. i when i spoke with them on the phone they said they could possibly give a lil better deal if i called my order in rather than doing it on the web. but even still shipping is gonna be like 150.00 for 3 day fed ex (no way im trusting a full system to ups). so if you guys know of a better deal that would be rad.

thanks,

me

MUYA
11-06-03, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by emailthatguy
hey guys,

before i order this thing (within the next few days is what im planning on) i was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind taking a look and possibly letting me know if you know of a lil better deal than what im planning on paying. as i said i plan on ordering the system from ibuypower.com for 1378.00

heres what im ordering,

asus a7n8x-x mobo

Nice pieces of hardware you're getting :D

I'd say everything is cool except maybe HSF? If u intend to o/c insanely maybe a decent HSF is needed other than the stock one?

MUYA

The Baron
11-06-03, 03:26 PM
A7N8X-X? shouldn't you get the Deluxe for dual channel and Soundstorm?

ChrisRay
11-06-03, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
A7N8X-X? shouldn't you get the Deluxe for dual channel and Soundstorm?

For Dual CHannel.. ya.. I really reccomend you get the Asus Deluxe Board, I have it. Surely some of its amazing feature set you could find useful. Not limited the loads onboard USB, 2 Lan cards, FireWire, ect ect.

emailthatguy
11-06-03, 03:43 PM
well im not interested in soundstorm as i have an m-auido revolution 7.1 id never give up. love my revo =p.

but youre totally right about the twinbank thing. i didnt catch that, good eyes guys =p.

anyway they have this biostar board that seems to have twinbank, would also save me a bit of cash on the purchase. whatcha think?

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7ncd+pro

thanks guys,

me

The Baron
11-06-03, 03:48 PM
Honestly, for my money, if you want an nF2 board, you either get an A7N8X Deluxe or a NF7-S 2.0. They simply are the pinnacle of the nF2. However, if you are looking to save money, I think the Biostar would be okay (I like the NF7-S simply because I KNOW my SLK900U works, and it overclocks like a beast.).

digitalwanderer
11-06-03, 03:53 PM
What brand of memory are you getting? (As I firmly bite my tongue from commenting on your choice-o-viddy cards. ;) )

emailthatguy
11-06-03, 04:02 PM
as far as ram im just getting what comes standard w/ the system, the site says "Memory

our standard memory chipset are made by major brands: Kingston, Samsung, Micron or Nanya"

i dont overclock, so im not concerned there.

once again, thanks so much for the help guys i really appreaciate it.

sxotty
11-06-03, 04:03 PM
Congratulations DW ;).

I think the Leadtek nf2 board is a decent buy, it is not as good as abit or asus, but then it is much cheaper. If you have the logitechs w/ AC3 decoder you could try out soundstorm as well and see what you think, or see if you can use both, which is what I have been wondering...
this one (http://www.leadtek.com/motherboard/winfast_k7ncr18dpro2_1.html)

Newegg has them for $108

Here (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-122-109&refer=pr1c3watch)

The only reason I suggest is b/c it has similar features and is relatively less money last I looked. If you don't plan to tweak or fool with it constantly it should work well.

MUYA
11-06-03, 04:05 PM
BTW the Asus a7n8x-x series is the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipsetted one i think, not the single channel one. I checked their website and says it has the nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x-x/overview.htm

no soundstorm i think.

MUYA

Nutty
11-06-03, 04:35 PM
didn't nforcershq.com have loads of threads about incompatibility problems of various ram makes and nforce boards?

I didn't read them all, but it seemed pretty much every brand except corsair had issues in at least someones system. The general concensus seemed to be, if you want guaranteed compatibility, get corsair ram.

jimbob0i0
11-06-03, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Nutty
didn't nforcershq.com have loads of threads about incompatibility problems of various ram makes and nforce boards?

I didn't read them all, but it seemed pretty much every brand except corsair had issues in at least someones system. The general concensus seemed to be, if you want guaranteed compatibility, get corsair ram.

and even corsair had a problem with their PC3200 when it was first released :P (bad SPD information caused post to hang when BIOS set to SPD).....

BUT I do agree that corsair is definaely the most compatible RAM out there for nForce boards and is teh RAM I see LEAST problems with over at nfHQ