PDA

View Full Version : Oldest drivers with FX support.

EciDemon
11-05-03, 10:42 PM
I just wonderd if anyone here could tell me what the oldest drivers with FX supports is ... including ultra cards if possible ? (both unofficial and official if possible)

Id download lots of drivers my self if I were not stuck with a v.90 modem ...

WarheadMM
11-06-03, 03:46 AM
the question is......why do you want old drivers??

The Baron
11-06-03, 09:07 AM
Stealth has told me privately that 43.45 are the earliest drivers that work with some degree of stability. And even then, a lot of things don't work. 44.03 are the earliest "real" FX drivers.

saturnotaku
11-06-03, 09:11 AM
I think Baron's right on with this one. 43.45 are the absolute earliest, but if you want a somewhat decent driver, snag the 44.03s.

EciDemon
11-06-03, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys.

There are two reasons, First. Im playing around alot with mgs2 substance on pc. There are effects in the game that makes use of both pixel shader and vertex shader (Never thoght that to be so at first)

There are gfx oddities that ive tracked to the vertex shader with newer drivers. (no faces during codec talk, and the stealth effect isnt working as it should either).
So I wanted to see if those oddities were tied to drivers with FX support.

I actually have both those drivers saved on my hdd. I was hoping there were earlier drivers though, unofficial drivers perhaps yet with FX support. I also didnt know that 43.45 were the first...

Drivers without FX supports seems to work fully in Substance on my Gf3, but sertain effects in the game are terribly slow ... only with new drivers its working good. .. but then there are gfx bugs. :rolleyes:

I also wanted to do some drivers benchmarks to see if there is any gain in speed overall and not only in this game.

Rob_0126
11-06-03, 03:49 PM
Cant say anything about FX cards, but doing tests with my g4ti4600, going from 45.23's to 56.12's, I get on average, a 1% decrease in performance.

Robert

ricercar
11-06-03, 05:10 PM
I wish I could find the source, but I recall reading that image quality suffers AFTER 44.03, so I've been using 44.03 on my FX 5x00 cards. IIRC after 44.03 NVIDIA had to make optimizations that affected IQ whil;e 44.03 did not.

<-- looking for the source of this info :mad:

The Baron
11-06-03, 05:28 PM
Not that I know of, Ricer. The only 44.03 "optimization" that I know of (besides the 3DMark stuff that was disabled in 330) is the UT2003 one, and that was introduced with 43.51.

Rob_0126
11-07-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Not that I know of, Ricer. The only 44.03 "optimization" that I know of (besides the 3DMark stuff that was disabled in 330) is the UT2003 one, and that was introduced with 43.51.

Nvidia optimized the drivers for ut2003? :confused:

Robert

The Baron
11-07-03, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Rob_0126
Nvidia optimized the drivers for ut2003? :confused:

Robert
I'm left wondering if this is a joke or you've been living under a rock. No offense, really. In case you didn't know, yes, NVIDIA is not doing trilinear filtering even when it is requested, resulting in a speed boost at the expense of image quality.

Rob_0126
11-07-03, 03:49 PM
I'm left wondering if this is a joke or you've been living under a rock. No offense, really. In case you didn't know, yes, NVIDIA is not doing trilinear filtering even when it is requested, resulting in a speed boost at the expense of image quality.

Yeh, I dont keep that close of an eye on nvidia and the news. Im always working, dont have enough time to browse :p

So, I guess the trilinear filtering option doesn't work in 45.23's no?

Robert

The Baron
11-07-03, 04:27 PM
It works... sorta. It does pseudo-trilinear that someone has beautifully termed "brilinear."

Rob_0126
11-07-03, 05:53 PM
It works... sorta. It does pseudo-trilinear that someone has beautifully termed "brilinear."

So I guess it's kinda like pseudo performance gains :banghead:

Robert

StealthHawk
11-08-03, 08:03 PM
Stealth has told me privately that 43.45 are the earliest drivers that work with some degree of stability. And even then, a lot of things don't work. 44.03 are the earliest "real" FX drivers.

Well, that's for NV35. Earlier drivers have NV30 support...like 43.xx. I'm not sure what the earliest drivers supporting NV30 are.

The Baron
11-08-03, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Well, that's for NV35. Earlier drivers have NV30 support...like 43.xx. I'm not sure what the earliest drivers supporting NV30 are.
I think it's a early 42.xx series.

StealthHawk
11-09-03, 04:53 AM
I think it's a early 42.xx series.

Yeah...I think you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Between catching the flu and losing all the data on my harddrive it's hard to think straight. It's just been that kind of crappy week.

The Baron
11-09-03, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Yeah...I think you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Between catching the flu and losing all the data on my harddrive it's hard to think straight. It's just been that kind of crappy week.
/me patpats Stealthy

It's okay, Snookums. I want to say it's 42.09, but I can't remember if there actually is a 42.09 driver (I remember a 41.09, but I never used the 42.xx ones).

EciDemon
11-10-03, 05:17 AM
I found some 42.xx drivers (cant remember the exact driver version).
They did have support for Fxultra cards ... sort of, they were labeld acording to the chip, (nv30 nv35 etc)

But they didnt work at all really, locked up the computer with a totaly corupted display and the pc speaker started to sound ...

But it dosent matter anyway.
The problem in Mgs2 Substance seems to be hardware related anyway. However Im sure that could be fixed with drivers. Might even be due to the FX card part of the drivers ... dunno for sure.

Heres the specific problem i was looking in to (there are more problems ...)
In Mgs2 you have a stealth cammo thing. When you use it the character looks like if he was made of green glass ... everything behind the character is distorted just as if you were looking thro thick glass. Quite cool.

This works perfectly on my Gf3.
But on a FX card the effect is gone (using same drivers ... actually any drivers up to the most recent one). So the character is completly invisible.

And heres the odd thing, When playing the game on a FX card and you force Vertex shader OFF (in rivatuner) the stealth effect works. If you force it to 1.1 (same as on my gf3) ... it dosent work.
On the gf3 the effect works with vertex shader set to default (on .. 1.1)

The effect dosent even use Vertex shader in the first place as the stealth effect works on Gf4mx.

Also ... if you force vertex shader off you lose some in game effects :rolleyes:
So its not a good solution to the problem

Ive played around with this game alot, Some character model effects uses vertex shader 1.1 (Highights ... and some odd effect on the guards in VR missions)
Thermal G and NVG uses pixelshader 1.1 ... not your typical pixelshader effect ...

But thats just one problem. There are a few other driver related problems.
on fx cards the VR guards will look very odd on all 5x.xx drivers.

The only way I know to get the game to fully work (visually that is) is to play on a gf3 with 43.51 or earlier drivers. (Don't know how the game works on Geforce4TI as I have no such card to test with.)
But the problem then is that the game runns terribly slow with depth focus effect on. ... As it adds alot to the cinematic feel of the game thats an effect you want to have. .. with newer drivers that effect is very fast ... Seems one can't get it all.

Im working on a PC Substance technical faq (it will be published soon). Ive figured out most causes on the visual errors (and the difference between playing on dx7, dx8 and dx9 compliant geforce cards) ... but they can not be fixed with out something else breaks it seems.
Its a very nice game when it fully works. ... I know how it should look as I also have PS2 Sons of liberty.

The Baron
11-10-03, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a game issue rather than a Det issue. Report the bug both to the developer and NVIDIA--maybe one of them could fix it (or you could at least spark a dialogue between the two).

EciDemon
11-11-03, 07:23 AM
I guess it's a bit of both. The game must had been working 100% with the drivers avalible on the release date of the game (dunno when that was).

If nvidia would get there drivers to be as compatible as they used to be the game could work (most likely senario)

Konami could of coarse release a patch to make the game compatible with the current wave of drivers... But with there lack of support I don't think thats gonna happen.

The port from xbox were made by a team of around 8 or so people listed in the end credits ... while the teams responsible for the actuall original game consists of hundreds of people. The main game it self is exactly the same as on ps2 ... down to the last word.

Ironicly enugh the port team calls them self SUCCESS...

They did a very poor job with the port when it comes to PC controls. *as usual I guess* This game is ment to be played with a 2 stick 12 button controler (as the ps2 controler). So when your aming your gun in firstperson view you some times need to press 4 keys at the same time (including aiming). On most keyboards such combos is not possible... I mean finding key combos that does work might be too hard to actually use at the same time. Another huge flaw is that you can not aim with the mouse ...
But that dosent matter to me, Im using a ps to usb converter so I play the game with my ps2 controler anyway.
Then again, I blame Logitech for this too ... even my expensive mx duo set with the usb keyboard can only (with sertain keys) press two at the time and when you press the third ... it dosent respond. Im sure you have experienced such things.

That happens to me all the time in my tracker software (music app) when Im just jamming on the keyboard and need to use multiple keys at the same time.

You have a good point there, Ive tried to contact Konami ... but not nvidia.