PDA

View Full Version : Hard disc errors

Jon
11-07-03, 04:52 AM
I've just upgraded my second PC giving it a new mobo and processor. The board is an Asus a7v8x-x with a thoroughbred xp2400. I formatted the hard disc, WD Caviar 7200 30gb. Started installing XP from a boot cd.

When I switched back to boot from hard disc, straight after post all I got was "A disk read error has occured. Ctrl+alt+del to restart." Every time I restart I got the same message. I've checked all the connections and jumpers. Just got the same message over and over. I wanted to try a few things the next morning, it booted first time with no errors. Last night it had errors again, this morning fine again.

Thought maybe it was heat related, but I have 1 intake fan at the front, one exhaust at the back, two blowholes at the top, CPU temp is 30 idle - 42 load, MB temp is 22. Anyone got any thoughts I can try? I've reformatted and reinstalled 4 times now, but same problem each time.

saturnotaku
11-07-03, 07:52 AM
Have you done a low-level, unconditional format? Boot off the XP CD or get a Windows 98 boot disk, get to a DOS prompt and type

format c: /u

If that doesn't work, it's probably time to RMA that hard drive.

Jon
11-07-03, 09:18 AM
I always keep a windows ME boot disk handy. I've booted off that and formatted the drive with no problems. Also, up until two days ago, that drive had been running windows ME on another PC for the last 5 months without a problem.

One strange thing I have noticed is that in the partition selection of the XP install, it displays two partitions, one is the best part of the 30gb drive, the other is just 8mb in size and I didn't set that up. I'm going to try to remove both partitions tonight and reinstall again.

saturnotaku
11-07-03, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Jon
it displays two partitions, one is the best part of the 30gb drive, the other is just 8mb in size and I didn't set that up. I'm going to try to remove both partitions tonight and reinstall again.

It always does that, it shouldn't affect anything. But if it keeps giving out on you, you probably should return it.

Jon
11-07-03, 05:52 PM
Hmmm, seems like the problem is solved now. I changed the ide cable and had high hopes when the XP copying files went a lot faster than previously. It is just installing XP now, seems like everything is fine. I guess it must have been the cable, although I did borrow it out of another computer in which it has been for the last year and haven't had any problems with it there...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply, I hope that is the end of that.