PDA

View Full Version : When DDR-2 due?

Dazz
11-07-03, 08:42 AM
Just wondering whens DDR-2 due for the desktop's? 2004 or is it 2005? I don't want to buy any more memory till i get DDR-2.

Malfunction
11-07-03, 09:36 AM
I read some where it was slated for mid to late 2004. I have to look around for it but sure it can be just google'd. :)

Peace,

:)

*EDIT - Think I found it: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20030509030501.html

Intel is expected to release its next-generation platform with DDR-II support for higher-end Prescott and Tejas processors in the first half of 2004.

Malfunction
11-07-03, 09:42 AM
Here's another:

http://www.ebnonline.com/story/OEG20020709S0031

AMD said DDR-II won't really hit its market stride until 2004. At that time AMD will be ready with a new iteration of Hammer, which at that point will have been a year or so on the market and ready for upgrade. "We will support DDR-II when it comes into the market," a spokeswoman stressed.

That means AMD has to be on a similar DDR-II testing and qualification timetable right now for Hammer as the infrastructure now starting to gear up with external chipset support for Intel processors. Two DRAM vendors, Samsung Electronics Co. and Elpida Memory, are already starting to sample DDR-II chips to start the infrastructure qualification process. In the next year, chipsets, motherboards and hardware systems will test and validate DDR-II in their products, to be ready for a production pushout after mid-year 2003.

Peace,

:)

Dazz
11-07-03, 10:56 AM
Thanks i just don't want to replace my PC3200 for faster memory when it's getting replaced soon :)

Malfunction
11-07-03, 11:08 AM
Your welcome. :)

Ya I hear ya, makes me feel even better knowing I got this i875 Canterwood chipset. Suppose the Alderwood might offer a DDR/DDR II configuration much like they had for PC-100 or PC-133/DDR like we say awhile back.

Ofcourse, I need to build another PC around next year too because my son wants this one right now...lol. The kid instantly fell in love with BF1942/Desert Combat. So looks like I might do the Anterwood with a P4 3.2C or just another 2.8C if the second series of Prescott isn't already out by then (which I highly doubt it will be.) Don't feel I will venture towards the P4EE unless the prices come down to what I paid for my 2.8C awhile back. ($275)

Peace,

:D

Dazz
11-07-03, 11:49 AM
They are $900 right now so i think you have a while yet :D