PDA

View Full Version : I think my hard drive is dying

Kain
11-07-03, 11:03 AM
While I am browsing the Internet, sometimes when I click on a link, or go to another forum, my browser freezes and my hard drives starts make these "scratching" sounds. It goes "scratch, scratch, scratch, *pause for a second*, scratch, scratch, scratch, etc." Very weird. It does this for a minute then I have to "End task" the Internet browser. I know this is hard drive related and not software because my hard drive did the same thing while I was reformating it. I think it time for a new hard drive. Any recommendations? I would like a 30-40GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive.

Kain
11-07-03, 11:31 AM
Okay, it seems that the top two IDE hard drives are the Western Digital Caviar SE and the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9.

However, I read some reviews at www.storagereview.com and it seems that the Western Digital is faster but louder than the Maxtor. True?

Dazz
11-07-03, 11:32 AM
Yeap on all accounts.

RMA your WD drive!! It's still under warranty.

Kain
11-07-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeap on all accounts.

RMA your WD drive!! It's still under warranty. I don't have Western Digital. I have the IBM Deskstar 75GXP.

Dazz
11-07-03, 03:30 PM
Well now i CAN Ganrantee it's dying might want to send off a e-mail and contact IBM it may still be under warranty.

As for which drive i would say the WD SE it kicks ass :)

sxotty
11-07-03, 03:34 PM
I had the same HD, and it did the same thing.

I managed to get data off, and Ihope you can too, but you best hurry.

My RMA took over 2 months though so good luck.

Dazz
11-07-03, 05:04 PM
I had a IBM GXP60 and that died 3 times, RMAed twice got it back within a week and it had to be shipped to Holland and back.

PsychoSy
11-07-03, 07:27 PM
While I am browsing the Internet, sometimes when I click on a link, or go to another forum, my browser freezes and my hard drives starts make these "scratching" sounds. It goes "scratch, scratch, scratch, *pause for a second*, scratch, scratch, scratch, etc." Very weird.

I have the IBM Deskstar 75GXP.

Congradulations! You've just found out why that drive has been called a "Deathstar" in many computer circles of general computer geekdom. Those "scratches" you are hearing is the aluminum drive head grinding deep gouges into the platters - platters that are made of glass (way to fail, IBM!) Backup what you can, remove the drive, and with a loaded .22 rifle, toss it into the air outside and shoot it repeatedly before it hits the ground.

She's dead, Jim.

Time for a replacement Maxtor or Western Digital drive.

Dazz
11-07-03, 07:36 PM
The reason being is the earlier Deathstars didn 't use fluid barring and grinding alot. They only added fluid barrings to the GXP180 but their reputation has been damaged now. Infact their GX120 is THE fastest PATA drive too bad it will be likly to fail more then anyother drive. Even their GXP180 is slower.

Kain
11-08-03, 12:32 AM
Thanks.

So, the Western Digital Caviar SE or the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9? I have read that the Western Digital is faster, correct?

sxotty
11-08-03, 08:57 AM
I thought IBM actually found a flaw in the "deathstar" drives, in fact I am almost certain, they released a firmware fix for it to so they would not keep dying.

Did you download this Kain? Did you install it?

In any case the fix was not popularized enough so no one knows about it.

There is a link
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q=DTLA&uid=psg1MIGR-44195

Kain
11-09-03, 10:09 AM
Okay, I just installed that firmware and everything seems normal right now.

sxotty
11-09-03, 10:45 AM
The problem Kain is that the damage may already be done, and simply manifest itself at a later time.

IMO IBM was very irresponsible not to popularize the fix, but they saw it as a way that people would think their products were poor, so they hushed it up.