PDA

View Full Version : Torn betwixt nV and ATI

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

David Annable
11-09-03, 01:54 PM
I'm torn. Currently, I own and run a Gainward GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256. It's seated comfortably in the AGP slot of my main gaming system.
Due to the generosity of an old friend who wanted to thank me for building him a system, I also now own an ATI 9800 Pro 128 All-In-Wonder. The problem is, I don't really have a second system that will do that card justice. My alternate box is a 1 GHz Duron with 256 MB of Samsung PC 2100 with a crappy 15 inch monitor attached. In the past, I've used that alternate system for meneal server tasks.

So I've been thinking I might sell one of the two cards since I don't really need two top-end GPUs right now. I just can't decide which to loose.

Traditionally, I've used nVidia cards, but pretty much everyone I talk to tells me that the 9800 Pro is a better card. It also has all the extra features (TV tuner, remote control, etc). But its only a 128 MB card where my 5900U is 256. Also notable is the price difference. The nVidia card is going for more than $600 CAD (yeah, I'm in Canada) where the 9800 Pro AIW is more toward the $500 mark. Both cards have been used, but neither are more than a month old.

Can someone give me advice and/or try to sell me on which card I should keep?

The Baron
11-09-03, 02:04 PM
Personally, I would keep the ATI card just for the All-In-Wondery Goodness. I would love a TV tuner (well, if I had something besides satellite, that is) in my computer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the RAM difference--you won't see any change for a very long time (or so I think. . . . .)

ChrisRay
11-09-03, 02:05 PM
It's all gonna come down to personal experience. I Bought an AIW card once. Was not impressed with it.

I'm saying this because. "If" you dont use any of the AIW features, IE TV Tuner, And Hardware mpg decoding. Then it's not going to be a whole lot of use to you. Just ask yourself. Are these features relevent to me. If not, Then you shouldnt factor them into your decision. Then base your decision On What you feel is Quality alone.

Now when you were comparing prices between a 9800 Pro and a 5900 Ultra, Did you take into the account the 9800 pro is an AIW card?

In My experience. The AIW 9800 Pro cards cost about 100 more US dollars than the 9800 Pro.

David Annable
11-09-03, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I took the AIW factor into consideration.

The ATI card seems to be the better card, even though it has half the RAM. I think I'm having trouble letting go of my NV-addiction. So I guess I'm hoping to hear some really convincing arguments against seeling the 5900U.

ChrisRay
11-09-03, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by David Annable

The ATI card seems to be the better card, even though it has half the RAM. I think I'm having trouble letting go of my NV-addiction. So I guess I'm hoping to hear some really convincing arguments against seeling the 5900U.

Go to rage3d.com then :P hehe just kidding. Generally ATI has better AA in Multi Sampling modes, And has better DirectX 9.0 performance.

David Annable
11-09-03, 02:22 PM
So, assuming I choose to sell the 5900 U, how much would be a reasonable asking price? The card has been used for about a week. I still have all of the original packaging and extras (not that Gainward adds much to the package). $450? Is there a good place to post a card like this for sale (other than ebay)?

GlowStick
11-09-03, 04:34 PM
Heh, if you happen to have cable, you could put it in your second comp, get a big hard drive and record all your favorite tv shows (just move it close to your TV)

its addticing, when i bought mine, i just wanted it to record one show really, now it records stuff that i think of (eh, might as well give it a shot) its pritty cool.

David Annable
11-09-03, 05:18 PM
Actually, I had though of using my second system as a "tivo", but it doesn't seem to work very well with my digital cable and my small television. I can't really read the fonts on the desktop, even when I'm at 800x600 - my television just isn't big enough or clear enough for it.

Also, I managed to record a show (the Simpsons Halloween special) and was unimpressd with the quality of the playback. I'm not sure if that's the fault of the cable signal, the TV tuner, or the encoding format.

So, I'm not really willing to let a $550 card sit around recording TV shows.

bkswaney
11-09-03, 05:27 PM

If it helps any I just sold my 9800Pro and got a 5900u.
I love the 5900u. :)

cthellis
11-09-03, 05:29 PM
Unless you really need the cash for some reason, my suggestion would be to GET a system worth using the other one on. You don't have to pay through the nose, but pick up a P4-based system of some sort and you'll be set to do all sorts of fun experimenting and benchmarking, since you'll have all the big boys represented. ;)

Plus, when is an extra computer NOT a good thing? With good specs and a powerful GPU, you'll have more friends coming over to LAN since there's no effort involved. Ain't nothin' bad about that! :)

David Annable
11-09-03, 05:43 PM
If it helps any I just sold my 9800Pro and got a 5900u.

Actually, that doesn't help one bit. I'd almost decided to selll th 5900U. <sigh>

Unless you really need the cash for some reason...

It's not that I need the cash. It's more that I don't have the extra cash to spare to make the extra card worth-while, and I probably won't for quite some time. So it's sitting around depreciating in value. I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. Perhaps a new monitor or a nice set of speakers or something.

ChrisRay
11-09-03, 06:01 PM
Well personally. Had it been me, I woulda given it back, And told them I dont need it, Since money is really not an issue anyway,

But since I dont fullyu understand the situation I cant say for sure

David Annable
11-09-03, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I tried that too. I told him that it was a waste since I already had somethig that I felt was good enough. He was having nothing to do with it. He had the card delivered to my doorstep and wouldnt' accept no for an answer.

Skuzzy
11-09-03, 06:24 PM
Why not just try the 9800Pro out for a week and then decide for yourself. There is no magic answer to the question you pose. It really is about what you like best, and what games you like to play. See which card does the best job for you and get rid of the other.
Both cards have strong and weak points. Your applications will decide for you which one is best.

saturnotaku
11-09-03, 06:38 PM
I like Skuzzy's suggestion. Play with the 9800 for a week, and then make your decision. Should you decide to sell the 5900, you probably aren't going to get more than about $350.

I would sell that 9800 especially if you won't be using any of the AIW features. You should be able to get the same amount of money for it then you would the 5900 and put that cash towards your next upgrade.

But it's your system, do what you like.

David Annable
11-09-03, 06:49 PM
Should you decide to sell the 5900, you probably aren't going to get more than about $350.
That's messed. I bought the card for $650 CAD a week ago. That's just shy of $500 USD, and now you're saying it's worh $350 USD? What does that say about these cards? You'd think that if I offered a $500 USD card to someone for $450, they'd leap at the opportunity.

The Baron
11-09-03, 06:54 PM
That's messed. I bought the card for $650 CAD a week ago. That's just shy of $500 USD, and now you're saying it's worh $350 USD? What does that say about these cards? You'd think that if I offered a $500 USD card to someone for $450, they'd leap at the opportunity.
Well, I see a 5900 Ultra at Newegg for $372. So you can definitely get them in the States for under $400. Plus, it's used, and generally, a 5900 is a 5900 is a 5900. So, you basically have to price it as a used version of that $372 5900 Ultra.

This is why I sell my stuff to my brother. ;)

ChrisW
11-09-03, 07:09 PM
I would try the AIW 9800 first and see which one you like the best. Open up a TV window and press the F5 button. Try surfing the net like that for a while. Also, try running an OpenGL game with the TV window in the corner.

Ruined
11-09-03, 07:34 PM
IMO I'd just keep the 5900 Ultra. I mean, its in your system already, most who have tried both have said the drivers are better for nvidia than ati (still), and by the time a game comes out that will need the faster ps2.0 speed of the 9800 there will be nextgen video cards out that will destroy both the 5900 and 9800. Unless you really want the TV functionality, in which case the 9800AIW would be the obvious choice.

David Annable
11-09-03, 08:07 PM
I think you may be right. I'm starting to think that selling either card is too much of a hassle. I may offer it out a bit and see if I get any bights for what I want for it, but I'm not going dump it off.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Compddd
11-09-03, 10:40 PM
Sell both, then get a 9800 XT and pocket whatever is left over

David Annable
11-09-03, 11:55 PM
I'd considered that for a while, but ultimately it doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle. I'm not convinced that the XT is far enough ahead of the 9800 Pro to warrant an upgrade.

The really sad thing is, if the rumours are true, NV40 will make this entire argument pretty moot in just a few months. Perhaps if I sell both cards then, I might have enough to put a down payment on one of those new-gen cards.

<sigh>

5150 Joker
11-10-03, 01:50 AM
I'd considered that for a while, but ultimately it doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle. I'm not convinced that the XT is far enough ahead of the 9800 Pro to warrant an upgrade.

The really sad thing is, if the rumours are true, NV40 will make this entire argument pretty moot in just a few months. Perhaps if I sell both cards then, I might have enough to put a down payment on one of those new-gen cards.

<sigh>

I doubt you'll see the nv40 anytime soon. Do what skuzzy said, use both cards and decide which you like the best. If it were me I'd sell the 5900 in a heartbeat.

john19055
11-10-03, 02:19 AM
Since you have both cards I would use the AIW 9800 IMO just for the extra features and save the other one in case something happens to one,you will have a spare card.

Chalnoth
11-10-03, 03:36 AM
If you still want to sell one, I say just ask yourself one question:

"Which card has annoyed me more?"

Most video cards have little issues that you have to deal with. Personally, I've had far more problems with my Radeon 9700 Pro than I ever had with my GeForce4 Ti 4200.

Of course, a large part of that is because Linux support is important to me, and though I've finally got the Radeon to use 3D acceleration under Linux, it's still very buggy.