PDA

View Full Version : Old games still worth playing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Smashed
11-10-03, 12:11 AM
I finished Freedom Force about a month ago, and I really recommend it to anyone who missed it the first time around. You can pick up a bargain copy for under $20. The graphics have a great cell-shaded look and most modern cards should be able to run it well at high resolution with AA enabled. Combat is similar to Baldur's Gate, but gameplay is more linear and doesn't have all the tedious travel. The storyline is fun and the voice acting is excellent. It's pretty over the top but doesn't cross the line into outright parody. At some point, I'll replay the campaign to experiment with different heroes and strategies and power upgrades.

I just finished Splinter Cell and uninstalled it from my hard drive. It doesn't have much replay value, but it was worth every penny of the $30 I spent to buy it used from EB. I tend to prefer shooters for single player and RTS's for multiplayer, and Splinter Cell was a very entertaining single player experience. The cutscenes were well done and the ending was right on the money. ("Dad, what's wrong? You haven't laughed since the Reagan administration." Heh.) I'm also pleased to see the psychotic Canadian hacker, Philippe Masse, was never confirmed dead and should appear in the sequel. (The game was designed at Ubi Soft's Montreal studio. How I love that wacky francophone sense of humor. :))

I've just installed Undying and Mafia, so those two should occupy me for a while. I've also picked up Grim Fandango, and I'm thinking of giving the Monkey Island games a try.

Does anyone else have suggestions for older titles worth picking up. With HL2 and D3 delayed, there don't seem to be many interesting newer games coming out anytime soon. Maybe Simpsons' Road Rage, but that's just a console port.

GlowStick
11-10-03, 12:45 AM
I Completely Recomend the most recent Monkey Island, it is TOP NOTCH.

jAkUp
11-10-03, 12:58 AM
hehe the new monkey island was alot of fun.. pretty funny at time too

GlowStick
11-10-03, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
hehe the new monkey island was alot of fun.. pretty funny at time too I love stan, he is the best!

*moves his arms frantlicly*

Fuku2
11-10-03, 01:34 AM
Odd, I just installed Grim Fandango a few hours ago. I never did play past the petrified forest but now I'm just out of it at some other city. Other games I never played: Deus Ex, Freespace 2

nVidi0t
11-10-03, 05:52 AM
Well, you just installed Mafia which should have you occupied for a while. Replay value on ALL the Monkey Island games and Grim Fandango are really high.. it's like reading a good book.

I have already played through Grim Fandango once a year since it came out whenever I get the urge to play it. I miss Lucasarts adventure. I was really let down when Full Throttle 2 was cancelled.

Also, I couldnt give a higher recommendation to Medival: Total War, or Thief Gold/Thief II.

Kruno
11-10-03, 06:55 AM
Old games? I play nothing but old games. :D

OMF 2097
Phantasy Star 1 -1988 Sega master System( emulator :p )
Phantasy Star 2 - 1989 Gens
Phantasy Star 3 - Gens
Phantasy Star 4 - Gens

Want a list?

Too lazy to type out all the games worth playing but those I listed above are the games I have never stopped playing.

I have finished PS4 so many times (5+ times in a row) and I am still playing it.

PS1-3 you will probably never get to see anywhere. That's why you use a rom+emulator. :D

Edge
11-10-03, 12:08 PM
Well, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are a MUST to play, those are some of my favorite games. Also, Fallout 1 & 2 are great, very open-ended and the things you can do are very entertaining (I liked it better then Morrowind). Freespace 2 is still the best space shooter you can get, and Total Annihilation is my personal favorite RTS of all time. BTW, you can get a "gamer's pack" from Gamestop for like $12, it comes with some Need for Speed game, C&C Renegade (which is OK for a generic shooter), Freedom Force (though you already have that, heh), and the MMORPG Earth & Beyond. I'm not sure if you're an MMO fan at all, but you can also get Anarchy Online for like $5 at Gamestop. Oh, and on Fileplanet they have a bunch of MMO games that you can play for free for like 7 or 15 days. I know they have Planetside (very fun), Asheron's Call 2, Shadowbane, and Anarchy Online: Shadowlands for download. You might want to check those out, free is always good ;)

saturnotaku
11-10-03, 01:08 PM
System Shock 2 was fantastic, scary as hell.

Shogo's a cool, classic shooter that runs perfectly under XP. It had some great lighting effects for its time.

If you play online, you could fire up classic Quake and Quake II. If you like adventure, you can play Diablo or Diablo II. The D2 1.10 patch has given more replay value to that game IMO.

Not sure what your other tastes are, but these are some games that I like a lot that are from "back in the day." :afro:

Riptide
11-10-03, 01:13 PM
Two great old ones that I loved are Star Flight (I & II) and Star Control II. I have blown away many an hour on these.

jnd3
11-10-03, 01:22 PM
Ditto on Freedom Force and System Shock 2. Also Shogun Total War, Medieval Total War, and Homeworld and Homeworld:Cataclysm.

If I was stuck on a desert island (with a solar-powered gaming PC), I think Medieval Total War would be the game I'd want with me...

Cheers,
JND

Nephilim
11-10-03, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Riptide
Two great old ones that I loved are Star Flight (I & II) . . .

Oh god, I spent countless hours glued to my monitor over those two games.

Vash
11-10-03, 04:54 PM
Chrono Trigger (SNES) - best friggin' console RPG EVAR (sic). I have played through that thing so many times it just ain't funny (easily 10+).

Gargr
11-10-03, 05:00 PM
My fav is Chrono Trigger(SNES)

And look what i just got from a friend:

Old 10GB HDD with Tons of old DOS games :D

Riptide
11-10-03, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Oh god, I spent countless hours glued to my monitor over those two games.
Check out these sites then if you haven't already. They're Star Flight oriented. I have a copy of the original if you want me to e-mail it to you. :) I believe it's more or less public domain now.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Maze/4979/starflight.html
http://www.starflight3.net/

One of the best games. Ever. :D

bknblk
11-11-03, 04:46 PM
While I make sure to play just about every new FPS that comes out, I still love a good game of Q3 CTF4. I own.:cool:

vampireuk
11-11-03, 05:56 PM
Deus Ex

Unfortunatly It won't run on my rig now, for some reason when I change the resolution in the game it just freezes :(

Lucien1964
11-11-03, 06:34 PM
Star Control 2
Battlezone 1 & 2
Duke Nukem
Freespace 1 & 2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

Good old games IMHO

CaptNKILL
11-11-03, 08:06 PM
Here, check out the games section of my web page:
http://www.angelfire.com/games4/captnkill/

I have a few more I could add, but im too lazy ;)

Also, check out:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/
They have EVERYTHING.... old games, lesser known games... everything... and most of them are downloadable (others are owned by retarded IDSA members...).

The Baron
11-11-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Chrono Trigger (SNES) - best friggin' console RPG EVAR (sic). I have played through that thing so many times it just ain't funny (easily 10+).
Magus is still the coolest brother on the block. That's why Crono Cross sucked so much--no Magus (well, no REAL Magus--screw Guile who may-or-may-not-be-Magus, I want Magus, damnit. He had the *music*.).

Edge
11-11-03, 09:07 PM
Oh, and while we're on the subject of Deus Ex performence, does anywhere know where to get the fabled OpenGL renderer update for it? I heard it worked really good in it, and for some reason I can't get Anti-aliasing working with D3D, but in OpenGL there's graphic artifacts (like transparencies not being transparent). Also performence seems a bit low, in the opening level I only get around 20 FPS at the area where you start, but that might just be an engine limitation since it's a pretty big area.

Oh, and that underdogs place doesn't have Trespasser:(. I was hoping to finally try out those user-made levels for it, they sound kinda cool.

saturnotaku
11-11-03, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Edge
Oh, and while we're on the subject of Deus Ex performence, does anywhere know where to get the fabled OpenGL renderer update for it? I heard it worked really good in it, and for some reason I can't get Anti-aliasing working with D3D, but in OpenGL there's graphic artifacts (like transparencies not being transparent). Also performence seems a bit low, in the opening level I only get around 20 FPS at the area where you start, but that might just be an engine limitation since it's a pretty big area.

Since D.Ex is based on Unreal Tournament, you might try Vogel's UT OpenGL renderer. PM me your e-mail address and I'd be happy to send it to you. It might not work, but it won't hurt to try. :)

The Baron
11-11-03, 10:02 PM
I don't think it works... pretty sure I tried it, actually.

Edge
11-12-03, 12:44 AM
Hmm, I think I tried a UT OGL renderer for Deus Ex a while ago, but from what I recall it just crashed my system whenever I tried to use it. Oh well, I might as well check it out and see if it works. I found it on my own though, it's a pretty popular file at UT sites ;). Thanks for the offer anyway Saturnotaku.

nin_fragile14
11-12-03, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Vash

Yes. One of the best games ever made.