PDA

View Full Version : changing Raid Card?

lost
11-10-03, 10:28 AM
I'm currently using Asus A7V266-e and I'm using the onboard raid for my Raid0 array (2 stripped hdd), unfortunately my board isn't bootable anymore and I need to send it in for a new one, but I don't have the time to wait so I'm thinking of buying a new board, and install a new raid card so I can use my existing array.
Before I do that, I wanna make sure if I buy a new promise raid card, could my old raid0 array be still accessible? I don't wanna setup the array on my the new card and lose all the data I had on my old one.... If it can be done I should have no problem and I'll go out and get a new board along with a promise raid card.

Thanks

stncttr908
11-10-03, 10:41 AM
I'd venture to say that it wouldn't work.

lost
11-10-03, 10:52 AM
not even with the same raid card manufactor?
I couldn't find much information on it, yea I think it might not work too =(
The onboard raid was by promise, so I was wandering if buying a promise raid card would work >.<

If I'm to buy the same board, do I have to recreate my array and format my drives inorder to use it?

bknblk
11-11-03, 05:39 PM
I think the board, being a Promise, would pick up your array, I have done some crazy stuff with these such as reversing the drives, etc.. and never had a problem. Just set the bios to the same settings as your current array and I think you will be OK.