PDA

View Full Version : How much of a difference is..

ReAp
11-10-03, 12:39 PM
AGP 8X vs 4X? I just bought the 5900SE, but I only have an AGP 4X motherboard. So my real question is it worth it to buy a new motherboard or is it all much about nothing.

saturnotaku
11-10-03, 12:41 PM
The difference is maybe 5% at the most. If the card is working for you right now, there's no need to upgrade.

ReAp
11-10-03, 12:42 PM
Wow that was quick. I appreciate the advice. Always good to save some money.

Edge
11-10-03, 03:09 PM
Yeah AGP speed is almost a non-issue. At BEST, there's probably a 10% difference between 2x and 8x, so between 4x and 8x would be almost undetectable. You're better of just saving your money for when the 64 bit processors come down and get a mobo with a 16x AGP speed ;)

TheTaz
11-10-03, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Edge
You're better of just saving your money for when the 64 bit processors come down and get a mobo with a 16x AGP speed ;)

Err... you mean PCI-Express 16x slot. AFAIK, there will be no AGP 16x. ;)

Regards,

Taz

john19055
11-10-03, 05:55 PM
When I have run my card in 4x and then 8x,I could'nt tell no difference.

bkswaney
11-10-03, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by john19055
When I have run my card in 4x and then 8x,I could'nt tell no difference.

Agreed. Non u notice anyway. :)

Edge
11-10-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by TheTaz
Err... you mean PCI-Express 16x slot. AFAIK, there will be no AGP 16x. ;)

Regards,

Taz

Well, I was being sarcastic, in the way that "no matter what you have, there will be something better in a little while" kinda way. I doubt even 16x will make any real difference though, I mean at this point how much bandwidth does your card NEED to the motherboard? It's not like it's rewriting all the textures every frame or anything. I'd actually like to see an AGP 1x vs 8x mode and see what the difference in performence is...hell, I'd like to see a PCI vs. AGP benchmark for that matter!

netviper13
11-10-03, 11:34 PM
The data still has to be piped from memory to video card, so you're always going to need a fast bus, and as more data is being pumped you need wider pipes.

ChrisRay
11-10-03, 11:38 PM
Well, I was being sarcastic, in the way that "no matter what you have, there will be something better in a little while" kinda way. I doubt even 16x will make any real difference though, I mean at this point how much bandwidth does your card NEED to the motherboard? It's not like it's rewriting all the textures every frame or anything. I'd actually like to see an AGP 1x vs 8x mode and see what the difference in performence is...hell, I'd like to see a PCI vs. AGP benchmark for that matter!

Well PCI Mode loses me about 4,000 3dmarks in 3dmark2001.

TheTaz
11-11-03, 12:07 PM

Heh... I thought you were referring to the PCI Express Slot being marked "16x" for video, while regular PCI Express slots are suppsidly "1x".

From what I've seen... there is a major difference between regular PCI and AGP 2x. There is little difference between AGP 2x and 4x... and there is little difference between AGP 4x and 8x.

Since PCI Express is different (Besides the bandwidth increase)... and motherboards are supposidly going to start using DDRII for system memory... I'm sort of hoping that the PCI Express 16x video slot will offer ZERO (or very little) BOTTLENECK between the GPU and Motherboard system memory (Assuming both the video card and motherboard are running near same speed DDRII).

The potential for cheaper video cards (with less memory on them) would be there. Of course the high end Video Cards would still be running faster ram like GDDR3, etc. so the bottleneck problem would still exist on those (But still reduced).

But heck... if what I hoping for is on target... we're talking an era of integrated or budget adapters running DDRII at full access speed (Or nearly). If Intel is incorporating ATi into their integrated line (As reported)... we're talking the possibility of a 9600 Pro or better (Performancewise) on a cheap solution. ;)

Regards,

Taz