PDA

View Full Version : Is Stacking fans useful?

Drew Carey
11-10-03, 01:37 PM
Hey all,
This has been quite a helpful forum already so I thought I'd throw another question in the mix.
I just bought two extra fans for my case, but it turns out I don't have room for one of them. So...will putting one on the other be useful? Or will they just interrupt with each others air flow?
Appreciate it.

jAkUp
11-10-03, 01:39 PM
they will probably kill the airflow... since they dont turn at the exact same time, the second fan will likley block the first's airflow... now if you spread them apart, that would work

Drew Carey
11-10-03, 01:56 PM
What do you mean spread them apart?

The Baron
11-10-03, 02:23 PM
I don't think it would work in any sort of configuration.

Gator
11-10-03, 02:34 PM
you don't want it, I experimented with it once, and not only was it LOUD AS HELL but it actually produced less airflow than one individual fan :rolleyes:

jAkUp
11-10-03, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Drew Carey
What do you mean spread them apart?

it could work if you place one fan 3-4 inches from another one... but stacking them straight on each other wouldnt work

The Baron
11-10-03, 02:41 PM
precisely, Gator--where is the second fan going to get its air to push from? I don't see why it would work.

Woodelf
11-10-03, 05:31 PM
You might run two, if You were ducting outside air to a specific spot in the case. A fan at each end of the ducting. For example; a fan on the side of the case with ducting leading from the fan to the cpu fan/heatsink, or GPU fan/heatsink.:)