PDA

View Full Version : Intel Updates Plans Again: Adds P4EE @ 3.40GHz and P4 @3.4Ghz

Pages : [1] 2

Malfunction
11-11-03, 06:35 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031110093222.html

Intel Corporation has reportedly reformed its CPU roadmap once again, adding some more powerful 0.13 micron processors, but staying rather tight-lipped concerning the higher-end 90nm CPUs ramp up in early 2004.

Sources close to Intel are reporting about two new microprocessors for Socket 478 infrastructure to emerge in the first quarter 2004. The first processor will be Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition at 3.40GHz with 2MB of L3 cache, the second one will be the Intel Pentium 4 processor at 3.40GHz with 512KB of L2 cache. Both chips will be produced using Intel’s mature 0.13 micron technology and will feature 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus being compatible with existing i865 and i875P infrastructure.

At the same time – presumably in Q1 2004 – Intel is projected to also roll-out its Pentium 4 processor with SSE3 technology (Prescott) processor at 2.80GHz with 1MB of L2, 533MHz Quad Pumped Bus and no HT technology indicated. In the second quarter the company is very likely to unveil a version of this 90nm CPU for LGA775 platform as well.

The roadmap does not reflect general changes, but also does no longer claim about the launch of Intel Pentium 4 processors with SSE3 technology at 2.80GHz, 3.00GHz, 3.20GHz and 3.40GHz with 1MB of L2 cache and 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus before the 15th of February directly, but still has some indirect confirmations about this.

There are indications about pricing of the new chips as well. Most probably, the 3.40GHz Pentium 4 processor “Prescott” with SSE3, HT and 800MHz PSB will cost $417 at launch; the same price is effective for the Intel Pentium 4 “Northwood” at 3.40GHz with 512KB cache and HT technology. Moreover, Intel’s Pentium 4 3.20GHz with SSE3, HT, 800MHz QPB is expected to cost the same $278, as the company is projected to ask for its 3.20GHz Pentium 4 “Northwood” chip after the 15th of February, 2004. The same pricing trend is also effective for Prescott and Northwood models at 3.00GHz and 2.80GHz – both versions of chips will cost $218 and $178 respectively, in spite of more powerful specs of the Prescott CPUs. The Prescott processor 2.80GHz with 533MHz QPB, 1MB of cache and no HT technology will cost $163. All prices reflect only commercial quantities from 1000 units and above.

The launch date for 90nm Prescott parts – also known as Pentium 4 with SSE3 technology and 800MHz PSB – may be moved to a later date in the first quarter, the source said. Officials from Intel have never confirmed Prescott processor launch move into later date, though.

Intel also stayed relatively cautious with its ramp of 90nm value processors – the Celeron chips at 2.80GHz and 3.06GHz. In spite of claims from unofficial sources, the company will introduce the parts only in the Q2 2004. Furthermore, Intel is very likely to expand the family of Celeron microprocessors featuring 256KB of L2 and 533MHz QPB with models at 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz speeds in addition to models at 3.06GHz and 2.80GHz indicated earlier. LGA775 versions of revamped Intel Celeron CPUs will be available in Q3 2004 at 3.20GHz, 3.06GHz and 2.80GHz.

Intel representatives never comment on unannounced products.

Priced the same huh... interesting, looking forward to it.. hehe :D

Peace,

:cool:

Dazz
11-11-03, 07:02 PM
They an't half pushing it, their stock cooling can baring keep their 3.2GHz cool enough to run under load.

Malfunction
11-11-03, 07:07 PM
Don't really understand why that is, I mean... I got my 2.8C @ 3.5Ghz with the stock cooler so go figure. I have heard about it, but still don't really understand how or why that is.

Peace,

:confused:

Viral
11-12-03, 04:46 AM
I'm not so sure about the 3.4ghz regular p4. Only the very best P4's will be able to pass as 3.4ghz models, and because of the 'lower' price of a regular P4, it may cause too much demand. Of course, AMD's 3400+ will take some of that demand away most likely:D Or maybe intel will revert back to the $630 price for their top P4...

I just hope AMD match this with a 3400+ and FX-53 by Q1. If they do we will see quite a competition going on. The problem for intel is, AMD scaling 200mhz means more than intel scaling 200mhz (i have explained this before), and AMD will only be in a better position than they were with the last showdown... so, pricing, the launch date, and availability will play major roles in how it goes for either company. But IMO, AMD need to match this, and i'm sure they can, but if intel push AMD to launch early, its only a good thing. That is as long as its not too rushed....

Dazz
11-12-03, 05:57 AM
Well the P4-3.0/3.2GHz use a 5800rpm fan with copper innerlay core. They run about 50C idle and 60C underload and tend to top out about 3.5GHz under air cooling, thing is their max temp threshold is 70C. So they are cutting it very close. The Athlon's can withstand higher tmeps due to not having a heat spreader, it can help dispense the heat better but if it gets to hot then it can heat up the CPU even hotter as it's hard for the heat to escape from underneath the spreader.

For more information on max temp's on Pentium 4's please follow link
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/thermal.htm

Malfunction
11-12-03, 09:04 AM
The threshold is 75c/167f. Don't know if it has changed any but one thing is for certain, it is absolutely no mistake that my CPU can reach such a high clock speed with stock cooling and Intel's latest roadmap update is just proof of that! :D

That says alot about the success that others have with overclocking as well.

I do believe that performance is so close, that we will have a great price battle going on again in a few months. That is great regardless of who you favor. :afro:

Peace,

sxotty
11-12-03, 09:06 AM
Dazz the new (64) athlons have a heat spreader though so what is the deal with that?

Dazz
11-12-03, 09:51 AM
Yeah but they run at a lower clock speed, they run 30C idle and 38C load, Also the main thing they are there for is to stop people from crushing the CPU core's. Hey Malfunction read the thermal processor page it's from Intel's own site. The 2.*C is 75C and the 3.2C is 70C

Malfunction
11-12-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeah but they run at a lower clock speed, they run 30C idle and 38C load. Hey Malfunction read the thermal processor page it's from Intel's own site.

I had, thanks.

Peace,

:D

Malfunction
11-12-03, 10:13 AM
That 5 degree variance is nothing if you honestly *think about it. If I am at 3.5Ghz and the threshold for my CPU is 75c and I am no where close to it with stock HSF, why would raising the multiplier change anything if these chips come from the same waffer?

5 degrees celsius is nothing... but prove to me different. I would honestly like to see you successfully convince me that it effects that much when it is never seen.

Peace,

:rolleyes:

Dazz
11-12-03, 12:54 PM
Not sure i guess they do something else to them prehaps increased their voltage. I know the 2.8 was the last of the cool running P4's.

Malfunction
11-12-03, 01:31 PM
Not sure i guess they do something else to them prehaps increased their voltage. I know the 2.8 was the last of the cool running P4's.

1.525v for 2.8C and 1.55v for 3.2C, nahh... that isn't that big of a jump.

Next... ;)

Peace,

:afro:

Dazz
11-12-03, 02:13 PM
Every little doesn't help :p

Malfunction
11-12-03, 02:46 PM
I raised my voltage just to make a point...lol. ;) 1.6v now and things are still running well within the known as far as my temps go. :D

I also had BF1942 running with 64 bots in a co-op match on Battle of the Buldge map while looping 3DMark2001SE Build 330 Nature Demo. Tell me what is up now! ;) :p

Temps (http://www.battlefieldgrunts.net/graphics\Rockin.jpg)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=231179

Peace,

Dazz
11-12-03, 04:36 PM
Case cooling?

Malfunction
11-12-03, 05:22 PM
Case cooling?

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-222-01.JPG http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-125-222-05.JPG

That's my case. All air cooled, and not loud either... I really hate noise. All I want a watercooled system for is becuase 1) Never had one 2) Wonder if this can get any more quite 3) Higher overclocking potential. :D

The only thing I added was a fan to blow over the HD which is a 80mm. So a total of four 80mm's in the case, but it says that in my sig. ;) I also recently added the sSpec Number to my sig as well incase anyone was curious about which one I had.

sSpec Number:

Also known as specification number. A five character string (SL36W, XL2XL, etc.) that is printed on the processor, and used to identify the processor. By knowing the processor's sSpec Number, you can find out the processor's core speed, cache size and speed, core voltage, maximum operating temperature and so on.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp

Peace,

Dazz
11-12-03, 05:39 PM
Wow the EE P4's thermal resistance is even lower :eek: 64C
Anyways you have never said how hot you rig gets?

Dazz
11-12-03, 05:52 PM
Here mine after being on for the last 12 hours and after playing Call Of Duty for a few hours. 3x 2000rpm LED case fans and a single fan temp controlled PSU, no out take fans since the last one died the other day, a word or warning don't buy Evercool fans, & CPU fan at 3000rpm's at all times. I still think my computer makes to much noise :rolleyes:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&attachmentid=3717

Malfunction
11-12-03, 06:08 PM
Wow the EE P4's thermal resistance is even lower :eek: 64C
Anyways you have never said how hot you rig gets?

First Question:

I find it really strange that the Thermal Resistance is at 64C. What are they saying here... it will never get that high? Is there another stepping order that will be coming out soon? What in the hell is going on here because that is low and tells me that it will be running cooler as a result. :)

Secondly:

That was under load and pretty much as hot as I get. If you look at the CPU-Z pic in my Sig which was also done under load will tell you the hottest it has been which was 55c/131f. Ofcourse, that was taken where I use to live and the A/C didn't work at all, the average room temp was between 80f to 90f and I didn't have enough circulation going on in that small room.:) Now I have an office/Den and the A/C works here...lol, so this is the norm for me now. Ambient temp has to be around 80f here, maybe a tad lower but not below 75f.

So the hottest it has ever been was 55c. :D

Peace,

Dazz
11-12-03, 06:33 PM
A: Just wondering because people whined that the Athlons ran too hot, 60C underload while their temp can go as high as 80C. B: The Pentium4 EE thermal resisitence is lower due to all the extra cache it has. Hence why the Barton's don't overclock aswell and run hotter then the T-breds. Bare in mind that that is expected due to the large amounts of cache and with it running at CPU speed.

Malfunction
11-12-03, 06:50 PM
What's got my cocoa nutts in a bunch is off what you said about the cache, why are the early estimates on the Prescott to run at 80watts to 100watts power consumption. This seemed like a big deal, yet my Northwood D consumes (estimation by Sandra) 94watts.

So what was the big deal? They weren't talking about the thermal threshold. Although they are talking about a new cooling solution. What gives?

Peace.

:confused:

Dazz
11-12-03, 07:48 PM
I an't commenting on unannounced products ;)

The more watts = more heat and power needed which can make aircooling less effcient also they said it would be over 100watts, the 3.4GHz was to do 100 and increasing. This will greatly hamper it's higher clock speeds. Also it will overpower standard watercooling as they are rated for around 100w and high end ones are rated upto 200w.

Malfunction
11-12-03, 08:09 PM
However, I am suggested to be around @ 94 watts and @ 3.5Ghz. So... something else is up I am sure. :D

Should be exciting to say the least. :D

Peace,

Dazz
11-12-03, 08:13 PM
Ah right at 3.5GHz, yeah the more cache the CPU has the greater the transisters and the more heat they pump out.

Malfunction
11-12-03, 09:00 PM
Oops, forgotten about that. More transistors... that's why they for see it being hotter. :) lol, was so caught up in the P4EE @ 3.4Ghz that I forgot about the whole reason the Prescott was developed in the first place...lol.

Tejas should be the next Socket change (T Socket), so I am looking forward to that, however I do like the pricing they are suggesting for the P4EE now. That is looking more interesting than getting another 2.8C or even the 3.0C. :D

Peace,