PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Display Driver Service - what does it do and is it needed?

jappo
11-13-03, 05:39 PM
Hi!

I have a question concerning:

NVIDIA Display Driver Service (x:\windir\system32\nvsvc32.exe) - it is started automatically with Windows and runs all the time in the background (by default).

My Q is: what does it in fact do (what is it for)? Does it have sth to do with 3D mode or is it for 2D only? Do you have it running or disabled? Are there any side effect to disabling it (changes in performance, lost features, stability etc)?

NV's explanation: "Provides system and desktop level support to the NVIDIA display driver" says nothing to me.

Please enlighten me!

thanks for any replies!

resonatorman
11-14-03, 01:15 AM
This service is absolutely useless, you can disable it w/o harm. The only nVidia related process that has to run always in the background is NvCpl.

Deputy Doofy
11-14-03, 06:02 AM
Disabled as well..... there is quite a number of process running for no reason but to drain your system :p

DJB
11-14-03, 08:32 AM
I have never, ever, seen anyone actually post what this does.
We all say "useless! disable it!", which I too have done, yet it must do something or Nvidia wouldn't bother coding it and having it run.

Does anyone actually know what it does?

DJB

Morrow
11-14-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DJB
Does anyone actually know what it does?

You will never get an answer on that :)

jappo
11-14-03, 04:31 PM
@ someone knowledgeable - please tell us what this mysterious service does... Somebody in the world *has* to know it. Anyone from Nvidia on this forum?

ps to Nvidia: if you don't tell us, I'll buy competitor's (guess who!) product next time. At least they don't hide things that have no reason to be hidden :rolleyes:.

pfff, secret services not documented anywhere and with ZERO sensible explanation: why, when, where? So nvidish :rolleyes:.

Drumphil
11-15-03, 07:33 AM
eh, what the hell are you talking about?? Secret services?? Hidden tasks.. You've been watching too many cold war spy movies.. The services aren't hidden or you wouldn't know about them, and what do you mean "not documented".. er, what other parts of the nvidia drivers are "documented".. Is the rest of the nvidia driver package "hidden" or "secret" because they didn't present you with a list of what files they put in your windows system directory, and an explanation for exactly what each file does?? There are lots of services running on your computer that you have no idea about.. This doesn't make them bad.

sensible explanation?? for what?? Do you find it so hard to believe or unusual, to think that the nvidia drivers would actually do stuff once you installed them.. If they weren't running they wouldn't be able to do much would they.

Saint Lucifer
11-15-03, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by jappo
ps to Nvidia: if you don't tell us, I'll buy competitor's (guess who!) product next time. At least they don't hide things that have no reason to be hidden :rolleyes:.

pfff, secret services not documented anywhere and with ZERO sensible explanation: why, when, where? So nvidish :rolleyes:.
Why do people make these rediculous ultimatums? Do they really expect Nvidia employees to say, "Oh no! This random guy on an internet forum will no longer buy our products if he doesn't know what some feature does. Hurry! Time is of the essence!"

Besides... doesn't ATI have some background program that runs with drivers? I haven't used an ATI card for a while, but I seem to remember one back with my Rage128.

Deputy Doofy
11-15-03, 10:31 AM
No. This service is installed when you change from the WDM drivers to nVidia's latest and greatest version. The service uses about 945k and zero CPU, but there is no need for it. I have even experienced EXTREME shutdown delays with this service active, but no adverse side effects with it disabled. Make it go away. NOTE: If using drivers other than nVidia's, such as Asus, this service may have been renamed to reflect that.

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

Drumphil
11-16-03, 02:15 AM
yeah, another reccomendation to get rid of it with ABSOLUTLEY NO explanation of what it does, and so why its a good idea to get rid of it.

Deputy Doofy
11-16-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Drumphil
so why its a good idea to get rid of it.

To save 945k :p

Drumphil
11-16-03, 09:34 PM
lol, oh well, I guess I'l just have to live with having only 1023MB of free ram for everything else.

resonatorman
11-17-03, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Deputy Doofy
To save 945k :p
Nonono, that's not the reason...DriverHelperService delays the computer shutdown, that's the point.
I also guess nobody knows what it is good for anyway...

Deputy Doofy
11-17-03, 01:09 PM
It could be? good practice to learn to switch unnecessary services off! :) wiggle that, idea about abit.... :p

Drumphil
11-18-03, 12:11 AM
"good practice to learn to switch unnecessary services off!"
if you don't know what it does how do you that its unnecessary?

RAY16
11-18-03, 12:27 AM

Because many people have turned it off and have had no side effects from doing so.

Deputy Doofy
11-18-03, 01:00 PM

Because black viper said so! :)

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

These scars on my hand from sticking my hand in the fire are never going to heal..... :mad: :D

gmontem
11-18-03, 01:08 PM
Is this service removed automatically when you run NVIDIA's uninstall program? If not, does the service do anything when you install a non-NVIDIA card? :eek: lol

Quitch
11-19-03, 05:50 AM

Because it's installed by the graphics driver (who's one purpose is to run graphics), and it doesn't stop visuals from working, it doesn't break the control panel, it doesn't lead to a drop in FPS, and it doesn't change whether games work or not.

Therefore it's safe to say that, since you don't run into anything that doesn't work, you don't need it running. If you hit anything wierd, reenable it and see if that fixes the problem.

Best practice is to disable everything, and enable it as required (except the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service :))