PDA

View Full Version : PNY 5900 NU problems

zer0xp
11-14-03, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm having a few problems with my new PNY 5900NU, and was hoping someone could tell me what to do..
Anyway, my problems are:
1) a bunch of pink lines appear on the screen, with some pink snow, then like 30sec after, the screen goes black. Can't do anything, have to restart
2) when i restart, during POST there are blocks of colors everywhere, green, grey, pink, i think blue too. I come back to windows and there are a bunch of pink, sometimes green lines and dots. Windows doesnt detect and load any drivers for my video card. Restarting a few times fixes the problem.
3) Sometimes i come back to find my PC saying something like this, "Windows has detected and recovered from a device failure. Please reboot to restore functionality to this device." The resolution is at 640x480 and at 16 or 256 colors. When i restart, it goes back to normal.
4) When it DOES work, sometimes performance is really really bad. i get like, 2000 3d03marks, and games run slowly.

If that isn't odd enough, my card says PNY, but has a ASUS logo on the PCB. also says v9950 128mb :confused: :p

Anyway, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

GlowStick
11-14-03, 06:53 PM
hi,
it sounds like your card is dieing, i belive PNY has a warrenty, you should take them up on it.

zer0xp
11-14-03, 06:57 PM
That's gonna be a problem. lol
because of how hard it's gonna be for me to get a return through, i kinda tried to fix my video card myself. lol :p
seeing as the 52.16 drivers took me all the way up to 70c, i thought i was having these problems because of heat.. :( tried to fix it with some AS3.
so no more warranty for me :(

GlowStick
11-14-03, 06:59 PM
i dobut they are gonna look/tell if you used as3, id give it a shot heh.

green_meanie
11-14-03, 07:02 PM
You have a line running from your power supply to the molex connector on the 5900 right?

zer0xp
11-14-03, 08:04 PM
Yep, everything is set up fine. tried 45.23, 52.16, 52.70, formatted, runnin 52.16 now...

So if they dont check there's AC3, they sent me something like this

"***OVERCLOCKING CAN BE DETERMINED AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY***" lol ... so im screwed either way
was playing with the clocks AFTER i had the problems, so that's not the cause..

o well :p lol
any other ideas for possible fixes?

kraigc
11-14-03, 08:26 PM
how old is the card and who did you buy it from? Some places have some nice no questions asked exchange policies

zer0xp
11-14-03, 08:34 PM
Card is 2 weeks old, got it from outpost.

bkswaney
11-14-03, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by zer0xp
Card is 2 weeks old, got it from outpost.

Send it back. Outpost should have a 30 day return.
I know newegg does.

zer0xp
11-14-03, 11:21 PM
Think i'll be fine even though i did all of that sh*t to it?

bkswaney
11-14-03, 11:53 PM
Does the card still look by eye to be brand new?
If so don't worry about it. If u just ask for a working card
they will most likly just make sure everything that goes with it
is in there and ship u a new one.
They will send that one back to PNY. U will get a new one.
U will hear know more about it. :):angel:

BTW: My card idles hot to. Mine idles around 60 all the time
with the new FW 50 drivers.

GlowStick
11-15-03, 12:21 AM
yeah definatly return it and get a new one or get your money back, it wasent your fault, dont take the hit for it.

zer0xp
11-15-03, 11:19 AM
Okay! :D
I'll call them and get all of the info for the return and whatever. Thanks for making me brave enough to actually do it :p
BUT if it doesnt go through.... i blame you :p j/k

Thanks a lot guys! :)

GlowStick
11-15-03, 11:45 AM
Okay! :D
I'll call them and get all of the info for the return and whatever. Thanks for making me brave enough to actually do it :p
BUT if it doesnt go through.... i blame you :p j/k

Thanks a lot guys! :) Im just a name on a forum, i cant be blamed

muahahahhahaha
haha

ha ; D

hehe good luck on the return, i really bet they wont check for as3, they will just plug it in their test bed, see it ****ed up and send you a new one.

zer0xp
11-15-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
they will just plug it in their test bed, see it ****ed up and send you a new one.

that can't be good.. lol.. See, it works sometimes, then sometimes, it doesntw ork... so what if they plug it in and it works??? :confused: :rolleyes:

GlowStick
11-15-03, 12:00 PM
that can't be good.. lol.. See, it works sometimes, then sometimes, it doesntw ork... so what if they plug it in and it works??? :confused: :rolleyes: heh they send it back claiming it works, heh keep compaling to the guy on the phone.

zer0xp
11-15-03, 12:18 PM
sounds like a very very very boring and painful process :(

but okay, worth a shot :p
Question: If it does go through, i can get my money back.. what should i buy?? They dont sell the PNY cards anymore.... ..i wonder why :rolleyes: ...
lol anyway

Line01
11-16-03, 02:27 PM
zer0xp
return it I have never had problems returning things to outpost just get your RMA number. Then you ship it to some airborne place in Ohio thats it takes about 7 days for them to get it back on your credit card.:)

They have always done me right and I have returned a lot of things if I dont
like it it goes back.

bofh1971
11-16-03, 02:51 PM
The problem with the card is Faulty memory chips, which cause corruption on the screen when the card tries to access them
this also causes the system crashes

Had a GF4 MX in a customers' machine that did the same.
Got replaced instantly

Good luck getting it sorted out