PDA

View Full Version : "Snow" normal on 5900U?

LiquidX
11-15-03, 05:53 PM
I just bought 5900U and I notice that there are faint, fine sparkles of white in the background of my games. I have never oced the card and dont really know if this is the "snow" affect some get when they oc. Sometimes I really have to look for these sparkles but they arte there, in anycase am I suppose to see any type of little whilte sparkles even if small with this card?

Also since putting in this card I have notice every time I change a setting or click the nvida control panel my screens blacks out, something that never happpend with my Ti4200. I then decided to clean out all drivers and go back to the Ti4200 to see if everything was ok and this black out is now happening with it also. And on the initial loading into windows the screen now blacks out atleast twice before showing my desktop. Everything is normal after that but it just never happend before

In anycase the card runs great allowing all my games to be on the highest settings. But are these things normal?

[edit]

I know its alot but that the only way to fully explain this.

Also to add. When I first installed the card I notices the screen said updating bios and quickly loaded and then to the upper left hand corner it made mention of the of Nvidia 5900. I think thats causeing the blackouts even when I reverted back to the Ti4200. Anyway to fix this.

Thanks for any answers :)

bkswaney
11-15-03, 06:06 PM
I notice those on 3DM03 in a few fant places.
I also saw them on my 9800Pro in a spot or two.

But in games like Halo and UT2003 I've never saw them.

Even if I drop my clock speeds down to 300 core 700 memory
they r still there.

I'm not going to worry about it because I saw them on my 9800
in the same spots.

LiquidX
11-15-03, 06:10 PM
I tried both of those games and just saw them a tad and only in the green areas. So you think this is normal? Also have you had the black outs I speak of?

bkswaney
11-15-03, 06:22 PM
My screen flikers and jumps when I change some things.

I'm guessing it could act different with different monitors tho.

Hummm I have not noticed any on those games.
But I will check later tonight and see for u.

Right now I've got to cook some cheese burgers
and get ready to go to the movies. "Master and Commander" :)

The Baron
11-15-03, 06:28 PM
Brand new?

Cause it sounds like bad RAM.

bkswaney
11-15-03, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Brand new?

Cause it sounds like bad RAM.

Baron.... If u do not see them on everything
could it be bad ram?
Kinda sounds like he is seeing them on everything tho.
I Did an RMA with newegg. I've got my number
but have not sent it back yet. I've still got 10 days before
it has to be back.

I just cannot figure out why I'm not seeing them on my card on everything.
Just 3DM03 and FFXI bench.

I'm going to do more testing myself.
I also saw a few when I had my 9800. :confused:

The Baron
11-15-03, 06:38 PM
Most certainly could be bad RAM. Could be when the RAM is filled to capacity and all.

(damnit Ricer, help a brother out ;) )

bkswaney
11-15-03, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Most certainly could be bad RAM. Could be when the RAM is filled to capacity and all.

(damnit Ricer, help a brother out ;) )

OK... Then why do I not see it with AA/AF on?
Only with it off?

Game 2 on 3DM03 is the only one on it. The others look fine.

EDIT: What is the difference in 3DM03 Demo and Benchmark.

I do not see it in the demo.

Rytr
11-15-03, 08:07 PM
The benchmark is more demanding than the demo. Stresses your system components more, especially the card.

bkswaney
11-16-03, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure what to make of my card.
I guess I'll do a LOT more testing over the next few days.

I love the demo. It looks sweet. The plane crash is great.

I'm running it at 4xAA and 4xAF. :)

Is there any test that would show me if my VC ram is throwing errors?

saturnotaku
11-16-03, 09:34 AM
Are you talking about little white speckles? Do they appear in the exact same place in a scene all the time or do they follow you wherever you go?

I get an effect similar to this in Diablo II, but the little dots always appear in the exact same location (usually at the Pandemonium Fortress in Act IV) regardless of what video card I use. I think it might have something to do with clipping planes or mip-map boundaries. I'm more inclined to believe the latter because more often than not those dots go away when I enable AF.

If those dots are consistently following you around and they appear in every scenarior then your card probably has bad RAM, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Hellbinder
11-16-03, 02:19 PM
This is a dead on indication that your Chip is overheating just a little.

It could be that your case temp is just to high. Or that you may want to consider exchanging your Video card for a replacement with better mounted cooling.

Hellbinder
11-16-03, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by bkswaney
I'm not sure what to make of my card.
I guess I'll do a LOT more testing over the next few days.

I love the demo. It looks sweet. The plane crash is great.

I'm running it at 4xAA and 4xAF. :)

Is there any test that would show me if my VC ram is throwing errors?
Little White dots are more of a case of GPU Temp being a little to High than a Ram issue.

AA can hide some of these errors because of the nature of the way it works. This is not a good thing though. You should consider dropping back on the Core clock.

bkswaney
11-16-03, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Little White dots are more of a case of GPU Temp being a little to High than a Ram issue.

AA can hide some of these errors because of the nature of the way it works. This is not a good thing though. You should consider dropping back on the Core clock.

I can drop the core back to 300 and memory 650 and they r still there.

Nutty
11-16-03, 04:55 PM
There are two types of fine dots you will see..

Sometimes you get slight gaps between polygons, this means you can see odd pixels between them. Its nothing to worry about. Loads of games have this problem. You often dont see it. Depends what the clear color to the framebuffer is.

If it was bad ram, you'd get funny coloured pixels appearing in clumps over your screen.

Hellbinder
11-16-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Nutty

Sometimes you get slight gaps between polygons, this means you can see odd pixels between them. Its nothing to worry about. Loads of games have this problem. You often dont see it. Depends what the clear color to the framebuffer is.

If it was bad ram, you'd get funny coloured pixels appearing in clumps over your screen.
Or Texture Tearing...

bkswaney
11-16-03, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Nutty

90% of the time I see them like in a crack or
some place like that.

What's kinda funny is I see some in the same place I saw them with my 9800.
3DM03 is the main thing I see them in.

On game 1 when the plane is fling away from u I can see it on the tail
of the plane. In the crack. "Very middle of the tail"

Game 2 in the elevator when it get's to the top. "Top left"

Rytr
11-16-03, 05:48 PM
Troll's Lair, second test (CPU Test?), I see this to some degree with several different cards. I notice it especially around the entrance door and the secret door at the book cases. It increases to some degree as I up the settings on the card.

I agree with HB on sparkles, white dots that move, are indications of excessive heat from the gpu and are not the same as those I mentioned regarding the Troll's Lair sequence. On those I have to go with Nutty's explanation because you will not usually notice an increase in temps. Although in both cases I think it is an indication of a limitation of the card.

LiquidX
11-16-03, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think it was an heat issue like Hellbinder said. I took out a my pci 56k modem and cleared up my wires to give it some breathing headroom and the sparkles are gone.... atleast I think tried my darndest to find any and couldnt.:) Going to play around some more.

bkswaney
11-17-03, 02:43 AM
I've thrown every benchmark and artifact test 5 with game demo I can find at it.

It seems 3DM03 is about the only thing that I see the dots on.

So I'm not not going worry about it. Non of the other test,benchmark or game I've tried has them.
I'm not sure why 3DM03 is doing it. Also I see a couple on FFXI bench.
But I did on my 9800 there to.

EDIT: Does anyone notice any on the Vulcan demo on the anvel?
Or the edge of his hammers? On the very edges?
No AA or AF.

S.I.N
11-17-03, 11:22 AM
Yes but I think thats how its suppose to be. It is not in the background or anywhere else.

bkswaney
11-17-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Sin
Yes but I think thats how its suppose to be. It is not in the background or anywhere else.

Correct... So u see it on Vulcan to?

Rytr
11-17-03, 04:18 PM
I see the same thing in 3DMk03 with both 5900U and 9800P in the 'library.' This is not the same as 'sparkles'. They usually show up first for me in AM3 with settings too high on the 5900U.

bkswaney
11-17-03, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Rytr
I see the same thing in 3DMk03 with both 5900U and 9800P in the 'library.' This is not the same as 'sparkles'. They usually show up first for me in AM3 with settings too high on the 5900U.

I do not have any sparkles in AM3.

The anvil on Vulcan around the edges is kinda white at times.
Also his hammers around the edges.

Anyone else notice this on the Vulcan demo??

Rytr
11-17-03, 04:58 PM
bkswaney, refer back to Nutty's post as I think this might be what you are experiencing in Vulcan. I don't have that game so I can't say for sure.

Again, white dots (sparkles), usually showing up randomly in a scene and don't go away unless you back off on the gpu overclock or provide better cooling for the gpu. Don't believe what you're referring to is the same thing. I also don't think it is something to worry about as it can sometimes can be taken care of, or lessened, by upping the AA setting.