PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia AA is pretty darn cool!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jethro
11-16-03, 07:41 PM
I must say im impressed overall when running AA thers no blurred text, no goofy graphics and no blurred textures friggin awesome!

Until now never able to run tribes2 with AA (didnt wanna work using ATI card) i can use it now and man does it look fantastic! I mean really nice!

2x AA is basically free for any title and it actually works in all my older titles without issue. TO COOL!

way to go Nvidia!

saturnotaku
11-16-03, 07:59 PM
2xAA is free on NVIDIA cards because it's virtually non-existent.

digitalwanderer
11-16-03, 08:00 PM
Ok, I just know this is a set-up or a trap....

The Dig looks around for hidden cameras very suspiciously.

I like AA too, AA is good.

Jethro
11-16-03, 08:28 PM
no trap, im just amazed at how compatible AA is for all my apps. At 1280x960 2xAA looks friggin sweet, far from non existent. I run 2xaa 8x aniso and quality on the slider with great results here. I guess more than anything its great to see how far AA has come along!

saturnotaku
11-16-03, 09:53 PM
Jethro, I mean no offense to you personally but you inspired me. For the first time in months I've been able to do this. Again, no offense to you personally.

ragejg
11-16-03, 11:19 PM
Somemmonitors make 2x look better than it really does... which isn't such a bad thing... 2x IMO is a good choice for 1280x1024... along with some 8XAF... that's on my poopy 17" monitor... if I had a decent 19 or 21 my opinion probably would be different...

SuLinUX
11-17-03, 12:02 AM
I've always regarded Nvidia's AA as rather poor, BF1942 is a example of AA being bad and it's rather blury.

Thats the only thing I miss about the Radeon9700Pro, it's almost perfect AA, at 6x.

astroguy
11-17-03, 01:10 AM
err I've used both the 9700Pro and the GeForceFX5900
I'd agree that 9700pro's AA is far superior to geforcefx5900
but gffx5900's AA is very noticeable at 2x. I play my games at 1600x1200 with 2xAA.. and that's all I need to remove aliasing.. no complaints!

particleman
11-17-03, 10:57 AM
I agree that ATi's AA quality is much better. It does remove jaggies better than nVidia's AA, but I also agree with Jethro that nVidia seems to have better FSAA compatibility, at least with older games anyways (especially when you take into account the hidden supersampling modes). With new games though, compatibility is about the same with ATi and nVidia, with newer games usually if it doesn't work on one, it doesn't work with the other. It's mainly with older games like Tribes 2 (BTW Tribes 2 works on with AA on Radeons, it's just difficult to see the menus) that ATi's AA has compatibilty issues. Although ATi claims that with these older games, it is often the developer's fault, whether it is or isn't doesn't do any good to the end user wanting to use AA.

particleman
11-17-03, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Jethro, I mean no offense to you personally but you inspired me. For the first time in months I've been able to do this. Again, no offense to you personally.

lol that was hilarious. That's even funnier than when I read on penny arcade :D

Deputy Doofy
11-17-03, 01:05 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=233386

arf :p

ChrisRay
11-17-03, 01:26 PM
I dunno but I see a huge difference jumping from 0x to 2x, However jumping from 2x to 4x is marginal? Why? because Nvidia switches from a Rotated Pattern to an ordered pattern.

i think Nvidias 2x offers the best Quality/Performance justification of Nvidias AA,. 4x can be really crappy at times. Because IMO, The jump from 2x to 4x doesnt always justify the performance deficit, Because the Quality jump from 2x to 4x isnt as big as no AA to 2x.

fingermouth
11-17-03, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
2xAA is free on NVIDIA cards because it's virtually non-existent.

Hey how is things out in Naperville? It has been cold in the CHicago Area for a while but 60 should hit in a few days. ANyway i would have to agree with you on the 2XAA I don't see any improvment with this setting and my framrates don't change in UT2K3 so that pretty much explains that being UT isn't to knd with AA anyway. Ut he is right on AA in some games, it does look better if your using 4 or Qunconix so. Im happy with my setting Quinconix AA and 8X AF in gmaes look good for me.

Blacklash
11-17-03, 03:02 PM
2XAA|4/8AF is very acceptable at 1600X1200. Remember with the texture sharpening bug in the latest drivers you are getting close to 8XAF at 4X setting.

saturnotaku
11-17-03, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by fingermouth
Hey how is things out in Naperville? It has been cold in the CHicago Area for a while but 60 should hit in a few days.

It's hard for me to tell really because I've been in New Orleans since last Wedensday. When I arrived down there, they were experiencing a record high (~85). For the full days I was there it was cool enough to where I actually had to wear a sweater. But when I left, it was back up to near 80 again. NO is quite an interesting, entertaining and often-times strange city. Those of you who have been in and around Bourbon Street know what it's all about. I got so trashed on Friday night I'm lucky I found my way back to my hotel. :D

ANyway i would have to agree with you on the 2XAA I don't see any improvment with this setting and my framrates don't change in UT2K3 so that pretty much explains that being UT isn't to knd with AA anyway. Ut he is right on AA in some games, it does look better if your using 4 or Qunconix so. Im happy with my setting Quinconix AA and 8X AF in gmaes look good for me.

I can tell a difference between no AA and 2x on NVIDIA cards, but it's not all that noticable compared to no AA and 2x on ATI. But considering that the performance hit is next to nothing on the FX (and the R3xx too) it's not all that big a deal.

4xS is the best mode NVIDIA has to offer. Pity it's too slow at resolutions above 1024x768. :(

I am looking forward to experimenting with AA on my 5900, which will be here tomorrow though I won't be able to install/test it until Wednesday.

Jethro
11-17-03, 05:41 PM
heheh thats funny.

Ive used both ATI and Nvidia, less noticable change with graphics on nvidia altho ATI is better when it works =)

bloodbob
11-17-03, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Jethro
I must say im impressed overall when running AA thers no blurred text, no goofy graphics and no blurred textures friggin awesome!

Until now never able to run tribes2 with AA (didnt wanna work using ATI card) i can use it now and man does it look fantastic! I mean really nice!

2x AA is basically free for any title and it actually works in all my older titles without issue. TO COOL!

way to go Nvidia!

Thats because tribes 2 was coded on nvidia broken drivers so tribes to did stuff that is illegal in OpenGl and ATI are gonna break their drivers to support it.

Blurring of text is a unwanted side effect because textures are aligned to the screen resolution but when you apply AA the effective resolution is increase and sample happens at unwanted points :/.

It doesn't work with all titles actually some titles the drivers will disable AA on you and you probably don't notice because 2x AA is rather crap. The only AA implementation that has been on consumer cards that is pretty much API and application independant is the 3dfx T-Buffer.

Anyway AF is more important then AA in most cases these days because high level super sampling just takes too much fillrate.

Jethro
11-17-03, 09:22 PM
well the ATI seems to blur images much more in my opinion anyway. As far as not noticing 2x AA what u guys smokin ? I look around a big level with lots of buildings and see no jaggies isnt that the point? Nvidias final image works very well for me and i dig it thats all i was sharing.

StealthHawk
11-17-03, 09:38 PM
well the ATI seems to blur images much more in my opinion anyway. As far as not noticing 2x AA what u guys smokin ? I look around a big level with lots of buildings and see no jaggies isnt that the point? Nvidias final image works very well for me and i dig it thats all i was sharing.

You must not look at horizontal or vertical edges then, because NVIDIA's MSAA(2x and 4x) do a terrible job at those angles. It is like not having FSAA at all.

Jethro
11-17-03, 09:49 PM
hmm ill look abit, but if i have to look for flaws that i didnt notice already then not much point is there? interesting.

StealthHawk
11-17-03, 09:59 PM
hmm ill look abit, but if i have to look for flaws that i didnt notice already then not much point is there? interesting.

If you can't see that horizontal and vertical edges get no FSAA then that's good for you. You should be happy and forget that I said anything. I am not trying to be patronizing here, it's just the truth. NVDIA's multisample modes are very weak at horizonal and vertical edges.

If you don't see the jaggies at those angles, then you win. You're getting enjoyment from your product. I happen to notice jaggies easily and find them distracting. One of the reasons why I ditched my gf3. It was too slow to play with FSAA on, and the jaggies bugged me.

Jethro
11-17-03, 10:22 PM
thats cool man. For me the difference in AA with my ti4400 and the FX is night and day for the record. No comparison. I dont think ill be looking as hard as some for flaws just focus on the big picture i reckon :)

particleman
11-18-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Malficar
2XAA|4/8AF is very acceptable at 1600X1200. Remember with the texture sharpening bug in the latest drivers you are getting close to 8XAF at 4X setting.

I think the bug is with Image sharpening, not texture sharpening. Image Sharpening is something completely different, it's merely a post process filter. I'm pretty sure that texture sharpening is not stuck on in the drivers, the same way Image sharpening is whenever you use the CP.

ChrisRay
11-18-03, 12:30 AM
thats cool man. For me the difference in AA with my ti4400 and the FX is night and day for the record. No comparison. I dont think ill be looking as hard as some for flaws just focus on the big picture i reckon :)

really.. my Geforce FX AA looks just like my Geforce 4's..

StealthHawk
11-18-03, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
really.. my Geforce FX AA looks just like my Geforce 4's..

And my gfFX FSAA looks like my gf3's FSAA :p