PDA

View Full Version : Has Star Wars Galaxies got any better?


Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
11-16-03, 09:18 PM
I heard terrible things about it on release.

I will "not" play FF11. Due to AA being broken in the game.


Everquest 2, Lineage 2 still seem to be a bit off.. It's a shame because I'm really looking forward to playing Lineage 2 or something.. or Everquest 2.. And gah..

Everquest is so old.. Anarchy Online isnt that much fun to me.. I... need... something.. NEW

My craving for a mmorpg is going to overcome and eat me up from the inside out :(

The Baron
11-16-03, 09:42 PM
Yes. It is much better. There are still problems, sure, and real honest-to-God vehicles aren't in yet (although creatures you can train and ride are in). But still, it's very fun.

ChrisRay
11-16-03, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Yes. It is much better. There are still problems, sure, and real honest-to-God vehicles aren't in yet (although creatures you can train and ride are in). But still, it's very fun.

Have you played any other MMORPGS that it might be comparable too? I have Played Everquest And AO, And I loved Everquest. So I am somewhat tempted by the star wars universe.

How are the time sinks? How Is leveling. I'd love a review if you'd be willing to give it ;)

Lastly, Do you think my computer can run it or is it gonna run my hardware into the ground :P

|JuiceZ|
11-16-03, 09:48 PM
Chris let me tell you man, I've been a diehard fps genre player all my life. After months of nagging, the guys at work finally talked me into playing. Granted I've never really played a mmorpg so this may not be anything new to you, but I'm amazed at how much there is to do in this guy. Its not just about killing/leveling anymore. And with the additional of creature mounts, player cities, vehicles and ultimately intergalactic war, it will only get better ;)

alright, back to the cantina.... :jammin: :dance:

Originally posted by ChrisRay
Have you played any other MMORPGS that it might be comparable too? I have Played Everquest And AO, And I loved Everquest. So I am somewhat tempted by the star wars universe.

How are the time sinks? How Is leveling. I'd love a review if you'd be willing to give it ;)

Lastly, Do you think my computer can run it or is it gonna run my hardware into the ground :P

One thing to keep in mind Chris, this is not like EQ. This game swallows EQ in content and theres so much more to do than just kill things & level.

The Baron
11-16-03, 10:16 PM
Oh.

The weirdest thing happened.

There I am, in Bestine, running through. I leave the starport. I'm looking around to see which way the bank is. I see a guy run past named JuiceZ.

I say... "Waitaminute."

I then say, "Hey, are you the guy who sent me a video card the other day?"

"BARON?!"

"JUICEZ?!"

Yes. VERY odd. We happened to be on teh same server and then in teh same place at teh same time. And I like teh word teh.

|JuiceZ|
11-16-03, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Oh.

The weirdest thing happened.

There I am, in Bestine, running through. I leave the starport. I'm looking around to see which way the bank is. I see a guy run past named JuiceZ.

I say... "Waitaminute."

I then say, "Hey, are you the guy who sent me a video card the other day?"

"BARON?!"

"JUICEZ?!"

Yes. VERY odd. We happened to be on teh same server and then in teh same place at teh same time. And I like teh word teh.

Yea taht was werid? heheh :D

I'm on Dathmire right now Baron. All the NPC's are red to me but I'm getting good exp when grouped, heh.

ChrisRay
11-16-03, 10:26 PM
Bah you guys didnt answer my question about how playable the game is system requirements wise :P

|JuiceZ|
11-16-03, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Bah you guys didnt answer my question about how playable the game is system requirements wise :P

You won't have a problem playing it with your rig. One thing to note though is that no current hw avail that can run it with all settings maxed. Even though the fps are capped @ 30, you'll still 'em hit hard inside certain cities.

ChrisRay
11-16-03, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
You won't have a problem playing it with your rig. One thing to note though is that no current hw avail that can run it with all settings maxed. Even though the fps are capped @ 30, you'll still 'em hit hard inside certain cities.


Thanks. It's definately one I'm considering. Just looking for a game that will be a good time sink since Ihave way too much time on meh hands,



I just saw this new MMORPG thats accepting beta testers. And I must say it looks sweet. However the system requirements are a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz and a Geforce 4 TI/Radeon 9500 + :eek:



http://www.mutablerealms.com/main.html


But I doubt I get accepted. I NEVER get accepted to beta test :rolleyes:

The Baron
11-16-03, 10:49 PM
Dathomir, eh JuiceZ? Come to Dantooine--I have to finish an Imperial quest there, plus my guild has a player city :D

|JuiceZ|
11-16-03, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Dathomir, eh JuiceZ? Come to Dantooine--I have to finish an Imperial quest there, plus my guild has a player city :D

hehe thats sweet, a few buddies of mine wanted me to come there to. I'll send ya a tell next time I'm on.

The Baron
11-17-03, 12:13 AM
Okey Dokey Then. You get Rifleman yet?

(gawd, I'll feel like a dumbass if you have, because I've had the game since August and I STILL haven't gotten an elite class... of course, that was because I went UA4, then decided to go BH, then got sick of trying to get BH alone and played on another server for a month, then got sick of that, then didn't have time to play for a few weeks, then came back, tried to go Commando, tried to go Smuggler, then said SCREW IT once again and now I'm going TKA :p )

Sotos
11-18-03, 05:41 AM
Question: STAR WARS GALAXIES GOT ANY BETTER???

Answer: NO and until got better most interesting Multiplayer games will have been released

|JuiceZ|
11-18-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sotos
Answer: NO and until got better most interesting Multiplayer games will have been released

Thats a matter of opinion. Also I realize english isn't your native language, anyone care to clarify that answer a bit more?

Sotos
11-18-03, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
Thats a matter of opinion. Also I realize english isn't your native language, anyone care to clarify that answer a bit more?


Of course it is as you have your opinion i have mine
and of course my English are not my native language

What my language has to do with the subject??? :confused:
My AVATAR says GREECE doesn't it???? Have you noticed it ???

We are not all born in USA or England you know...There are other countries that ppl live also

vampireuk
11-18-03, 04:42 PM
He wasn't insulting you, it's just the way you phrased the answer is very hard to understand.

Sotos
11-18-03, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
He wasn't insulting you, it's just the way you phrased the answer is very hard to understand.

EEE??
What are you talking about???
I was not insulting anyone :)
I am just beeing serious as he was in his post :)

I just find his answer strange saying me about how good is my ENGLISH which has nothing to do with the topic subject...

I have a avatar that says GREECE so how is possible that he now noticed that my native language is not USA or ENGLAND...
I am a Greek so my english grammar is naturaly not beeing the best :)

betterdan
11-18-03, 11:09 PM
ummm huh? :D

The Baron
11-18-03, 11:33 PM
Okay JuiceZ, I got Pistoleer (finally), got my sliced VKs so I can gain mad UA XP (finally), and generally I'm a Lean Mean Fighting Machine. If you need weapons or armor sliced, lemme know and I'll hook you up with a friend (Master Smuggler and free, of course).

Then again, I should probably just point you to my guild boards sometime :p

vampireuk
11-19-03, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Sotos
EEE??
What are you talking about???


Never mind:banghead:

|JuiceZ|
11-19-03, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Sotos
EEE??
What are you talking about???
I was not insulting anyone :)
I am just beeing serious as he was in his post :)

I just find his answer strange saying me about how good is my ENGLISH which has nothing to do with the topic subject...

I have a avatar that says GREECE so how is possible that he now noticed that my native language is not USA or ENGLAND...
I am a Greek so my english grammar is naturaly not beeing the best :)

d00d yer making a mountain outta a moe hill, all I meant was I couldn't understand yer reply but didn't put it against you because it was obvious english isn't your native language, chill :)

Originally posted by The Baron
Okay JuiceZ, I got Pistoleer (finally), got my sliced VKs so I can gain mad UA XP (finally), and generally I'm a Lean Mean Fighting Machine. If you need weapons or armor sliced, lemme know and I'll hook you up with a friend (Master Smuggler and free, of course).

Then again, I should probably just point you to my guild boards sometime :p

sweet man, its bout time :p

I usually play for several hrs right after wrk between 4pm-10pm so send me a /tell when you get on ;) I'm working on Master Dancer & CH right now, heh.

The Baron
11-19-03, 11:58 PM
CH... you lamer. Just wait till they fix Center of Being (well, more precisely Defense Acuity, which will in turn fix Center of Being for TKAs) and I demolish any creature you can throw at me. Then I knock you down using my Mad Pistoleer Skills and pummel you to death SABIN BUM RUSH STYLE. :)

anxdiety
11-20-03, 04:40 AM
Well i'm an avid player of SWG right now. The game has gotten a little bit better overall but its still really lacking in a lot of places. I would feel sorry for any new character starting out as they have batted all the good sources of income that some of us more advanced players got to take advantage of.

If you have friends its really not that hard to power grind your way to master in almost any class. The hardest two classes to master it appears right now is Merchant and Bounty Hunter. Merchant because of the slow xp gain from your vendors and Bounty Hunter because after 4 months they still haven't fixed the Investigation line.

The whole method of how becoming a padawan is implimented in game is attrocious as well. You have to join the other camped spawns of high level creatures in hopes you can kill steal for one of the holocrons. Once you have a holocron you get told to master a random class. Basically you get to totally dismantle your character that you have built to head towards jedi.

The whole holocron system is parching the game of people dedicated to what they want to do. Thus the cantina's have a lot of AFK macro'ing dancers and muscians in hopes to grind that level. Not as many people that play those classes because they want to or find it fun.

Quests have been fixed so that the text is actually there now compared to release but the rewards are the same junk as before. Completing a theme park is hardly worth the time nor credits to do it. The only one that feels worth it right now that has been added is the Warren. But its been soo camped by CH's and other characters that it was fairly easy to sneak behind and complete it as well.

Every major publish still brings some new and good things to the plate as well. This past publish went rather smooth compared to last month's. Last months was a disaster. This months has gone a lot better. The developers seem to prefer to push new things rather than fix what is already there.

The addition of mounts was nice but not the end off that a lot of people expected. They are about 1.5 times faster in normal speed than walking and about 2.5 times the speed while /gallop is active. (Burst run is 2 times normal speed) The reason they are slow is because the servers just could not handle them moving any faster. If they moved faster creatures and npc's would spawn right on top of you or behind you. This is going to be a major issue when we see vehicles next month.

Player cites are now live as well. If you were one of the lucky 10(each) to drop your city hall on the 3 major planets then you got to move your house and declare as a citizen and start paying taxes. Its still going to be a few weeks to see any of the benefits to cities as they are on a weekly growth cycle and the perks are for higher level cities.

As per each publish/patch the mounts and player cities patch has brought its own share of issues along with it. Some of these are due to be addressed in a patch in the morning. (one week after the original patch) But a lot of the things that were not correct in the patch notes (fixes for BH investigation, DOTs incapping etc..) have not been implimented or schedules for fix at this time.

Overall I keep playing mainly because of the community. Sure there are a few things I would like to accomplish first (for quests and such) but its the people around that have kept me playing. I've found my way into a tight fitted guild of people with my main character. Even tho i have a secondary character on a different server with real life friends on it i am drawn to play my main because of the community on that server. If they can finally fix some of the things that plague the game like guild chat being broken and the unbearable lag in some cities once i have completed what i want to then i may stay. If they cannot within that time it may be time for me to move on.

If you state the reasons you left the first time i shall do my best to give an unbiased opinion regarding it but there is a lot of the time my opinion of the game sways to the negative side.

I play as AnXdiety (BH-0,0,4,0/Smuggler-0,04,0/Commando- 0,0,1,0/Novie Medic) on Ahazi and as Barphollomew Mog on Intrepid. If any of you guys need hints or tips on grinding skills or information that i can provide feel free to ask away.

anxdiety
11-20-03, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
CH... you lamer. Just wait till they fix Center of Being (well, more precisely Defense Acuity, which will in turn fix Center of Being for TKAs) and I demolish any creature you can throw at me. Then I knock you down using my Mad Pistoleer Skills and pummel you to death SABIN BUM RUSH STYLE. :)

Its a shame pistoleer only has a knockdown in the same range as a TKA. Pistol Melee Defence 1. Is the only kd that a pistoleer gets. Unless you take the dirty fiighint line from smuggler pistols have no ranged kd. In a duel against any melee class just stay 20 meters away and you'll be laughing at them.

Smuggler has the best pistol specials of any class right now. Its why i dropped all my pistoleer skills (was a 0,4,4,4) paired with Bh pistol 4 and picked up the smuggler pistol skills. I was soloing mountain squills to gain my last box in dirty fighting. I have also solo'd krayts and ancient rancors without using pets. Love /feign. Panic Shot/Lowblow is insane. Now with last ditch doing 2k damage with my pre-patch krayt scatter and FWG5 its all kinds of fun. Its a shame they had to nerf the guns.

Here's an easy way to level unarmed 4 for those trying to get there.
Get yourself some sliced vibro knucklers. You aren't certed to use em but the added speed makes up for the lesser damage. Then grind up and gain novice pistoleer and stack health shot 1 and 2 on something and immediately switch to unarmed. The bleeds will count as damage done from the next attack you use. So if you use unarmed you'll gain unarmed XP for the damage done by the bleeds. Just set yourself up an attack macro as the following:
/healthshot1
/healthshot2
/ui actionSlot (where you put your VK's in your toolbar)
/beserk

puch away as it bleeds to save time killing things for more xp. With the new DOT restrictions you can just walk away as it bleeds down to 1 health then walk up for the easy punch to gain full xp.

The Baron
11-20-03, 10:30 AM
Ah, you are correct, mi amigo.

My plan is thus:

Master TKA
Master Pistoleer
Dirty Fighting from Smuggler
Some Scout (I think 3/0/0/0 is what I computed)
A bit of Medic (forget now)

This way, I can:

1. Bleed shots and knockdowns while I get close.

2. Lots of pistol speed.

3. UNSANE DAMAGE from TKM. And once they fix DA, unsane dodging/blocking/evading.

4. Terrain Negotiation.

5. Healing myself when necessary, and don't forget healing wounds with Meditate

And I thought they semi-fixed Investigation in the last patch because they simply increased the payouts and experience gained per mission. But then again, they didn't fix any of the bugs.

So Last Ditch is the best pistol shot. Figured. And why don't you drop your Commando, Brawler, and Medic so you can get the Pistoleer speed tree?