PDA

View Full Version : Opteron 248 out

sxotty
11-17-03, 09:58 AM
here (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120437)

But jeez, about $1000, of course that is b/c only 1 shop has it, but this is good news eh... if they all fall down one slot in price structure within the next month it would be awesome

Malfunction
11-17-03, 10:13 AM
The new AMD Opteron processors running at 2.20GHz are architecturally the same as chips running at lower speeds and are probably drop-in compatible with existing mainboards for Socket 940 CPUs. Nevertheless, since the new chips are able to work with registered PC3200 memory modules, at least, some mainboards may require a new BIOS version. According to a source close to AMD, a number of mainboards support PC3200 out now.

The just-announced AMD Opteron processor model 148, for single processing workstations and entry-level servers, will be available in December of this year from leading system builders in North America. The microprocessor will be priced at $733 in 1000 unit quantities

The AMD Opteron processor model 248, designed for dual processing servers and workstations, is immediately shipping worldwide. The chip is priced at $913 in 1000 unit quantities.

The new AMD Opteron processor model 848, for enterprise-class servers, will also be available from North American system builders in December. The CPU is to be priced at $3199 in 1000 unit quantities.

Several systems powered by AMD Opteron microprocessors from various companies, such as OctigaBay, are expected to be demonstrated at SuperComputing 2003 conference.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20031117050721.html

I was just checking out the MSI Model K8T Master2 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=13-130-436) actually. Pretty good mobo, so they say.

Peace,

:)

Sazar
11-17-03, 10:59 AM
so only a matter of time before the 2.4 ghz desktop version drops :)

would prefer scaling to 2.6 actually but dunno what the yields would be :(

Sledge
11-17-03, 04:56 PM
Excellent. I was just thinking that I need an 8-way MP3 server :D

Viral
11-18-03, 01:45 AM
I was just checking out the MSI Model K8T Master2 actually. Pretty good mobo, so they say.

For the price that is a good mobo.. but if you want performance, it has one main disadvantage. Only one of the processors is connected to the memory via HT. The other communicates to memory via the other processor, adding latency.

This isnt that much of a big deal, but for those wanting a dual proc. setups, obviously they want great performance. To get that performance a mobo like the tyan K8W is needed, which has seperate banks for each processor.

As for the 248, well its good to see AMD finally releasing it. Just puts them that little bit further ahead.. opteron really is a whole generation ahead of Xeon. dual-multi proc. setups are where the K8 design shines.

sxotty
11-18-03, 08:34 AM
Wow that mobo is soooo much cheaper than what Tyan sells... I wish that someone would release one with both procs connected to memory though...I wonder if the loss is worse getting it for 1/2 price of the tyan board.

edit: Did you notice it doesn't seem to have firewire either?

of course the tyan here (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html) which has all these spiffy featers costs $500 or so

Malfunction
11-18-03, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by sxotty
Wow that mobo is soooo much cheaper than what Tyan sells... I wish that someone would release one with both procs connected to memory though...I wonder if the loss is worse getting it for 1/2 price of the tyan board.

edit: Did you notice it doesn't seem to have firewire either?

of course the tyan here (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html) which has all these spiffy featers costs $500 or so

Here's a review on the Thunder K8W:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=thunderk8w&page=11

*I'm just not sure if the price of the mobo+CPU's constitutes something that only games as well as a P4 3.2C. Sure is a hell of alot less expensive to just go the Intel route. *Never thought I would say that...lol. However, this was with only a pair of Opteron 246's and DDR333.

The K8T Master2 supports DDR400.

Peace,

:)

sxotty
11-18-03, 01:36 PM
Malfunction I am not sure what you are talking about in this statement

I'm just not sure if the price of the mobo+CPU's constitutes something that only games as well as a P4 3.2C. Sure is a hell of alot less expensive to just go the Intel route.

Because it makes little sense when compared to buying a dual processor board. If I bought a dual processor Xeon at 3.06Ghz then it would also be fairly expensive (this is what they used in the review btw)

This is not for gaming, if it was I would just get some lowly athlon xp 2800, or if I had wads of cash a single processor athlon 64, or even an intel one.

Malfunction
11-18-03, 02:23 PM
Oh... well, I wasn't impressed. Specifically due to the hardware issues and BIOS issue. It's typicall of AMD system, from personal experience... that and also looking here on the Processor/Mobo forum as well.

Peace,

:(

sxotty
11-19-03, 09:48 AM
Well my current AMD system has been pretty darn stable. Much more so than past intel ones I have had....
The review you pointed out seems kind of weird, the writer states that the dual opteron system is on par with the p4 3.06Ghz, then goes on to say that the single cpu opteron system is the same speed as the dual. Which basically says that single opteron system is as fast as the p4 3.06 Ghz as well.

My personal take is that if AMD would have allowed regular RAM instead of ecc then the opteron would be an awesome deal, but ah well.

Oh btw the glitches the article stated were on pre production boards, and I have heard tyan has exteremely stable stuff (they better for $490)

druga runda
11-19-03, 02:37 PM
just to add the guy was comparing single threaded situations, and not the servers.

As for such situations opterons scale almost perfectly giving you around 90-100% increase in processing power which is much better than Xeons.

Of course given that you have a Tyan board and NUMA enabled OS, with normal Win XP scaling results will be bit worse but still better than Xeons.

And Tyan board will most likely be a bit slower (as it uses DDR333) but more stable and scalable solution, while on MSI board you can get faster memory, and therefore faster results for half the money half the features and potential memory (I think) but still most likely totally stable platform, and enough for what most of "normal" systems need.

Still better than Xeons though (unless it's for media encoding than it could be similar)...

Just my 2c

sxotty
11-19-03, 06:57 PM
D.R. I thought the processor itself determined what memory you could use since the controller is on the CPU. I heard that the new ones will support 400mhz ddr, and that the current 246 and up will be respun to allow ddr 400Mhz.

Viral
11-20-03, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by sxotty
D.R. I thought the processor itself determined what memory you could use since the controller is on the CPU. I heard that the new ones will support 400mhz ddr, and that the current 246 and up will be respun to allow ddr 400Mhz.

The motherboards also have to support it. This in the situation of the 940pin Opteron boards can be added in the form of a BIOS update, whether Tyan have done this for their K8W or not i am unaware of, but the same thing was done by ASUS for the SK8N.