PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone insulting NVIDIA? What's wrong with them?

Pages : [1] 2

True NVIDIA fan
11-17-03, 08:08 PM
Hello, and I am new here. ;), I don't understand why people bother to say ATI is better than NVIDIA, NVIDIA is an awesome company! They have always developed leading edge graphics cards that are never a disapointment, I love the GeForce FX series, and I love my FX 5700 Ultra!! They are an awesome performing line of cards that have great flexbility and IQ, with a great price, equal to ATI! Why is everyone going around saying: "boo nvidia"? I don't get it! :confused: I love NVIDIA, what is this all about? :(

saturnotaku
11-17-03, 08:16 PM
It's not that NVIDIA is bad per-se, but they've done many things to hurt their reputation in the industry.

After the NV30 (FX5800) fiasco it all snowballed from there. With said NV30 you have a card that was overhyped, extremely late to market and underdelivered compared to the Radeon 9700. They tried to make up for it with the NV35 (aka FX5900). While it addressed some concerns, there is still the nagging problem of drivers that artificially inflating benchmark scores, especially in advanced shader performance, where the FX series is comparatively weak. With the R300 line of cards, ATI caught NVIDIA with its pants down and proceeded to make a killing of the high-end market.

Most folks around here are hoping cards like the FX5700 Ultra are the start of NVIDIA's turnaround and that the NV40 will once again bring the company back to the top of the enthusiast market.

We don't insult the products as much as the company's poor engineering and public relations decisions.

The Baron
11-17-03, 08:24 PM
NVIDIA has a real competitor, yet they are still acting like they are the only game in town. That is quite simply what it comes down to.

They seem to be waking up, though, if the 5700 Ultra is any indication.

bloodbob
11-17-03, 08:50 PM
Man the mafia produces some good guns and drugs man they are the best but everyone seems to be insulting them behind their back whats wrong with them?

ClyssaN
11-17-03, 08:51 PM
Every company is in the business to gain money, every company "cheats" to make their products look better, no matter if it's PR talk or real cheating in benchs. The problem with nvidia is that they have taking this actions to far for to long...

Just my opinion.

jAkUp
11-17-03, 09:01 PM
i was a huge nvidiot... after the 5800 ultra mess, then cheating, the more cheating, then lying, then half life 2... i sold my card. bought a 9800 pro and it blows my 5900 out of the water in terms of overall speed and iq.

and i woudnt consider them having equal price to ati... a 9600 pro is by far a superior card to the 5600... but yet, they are priced around the same points.... lame:rolleyes:

digitalwanderer
11-17-03, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by True NVIDIA fan
Hello, and I am new here. ;), I don't understand why people bother to say ATI is better than NVIDIA, NVIDIA is an awesome company! They have always developed leading edge graphics cards that are never a disapointment, I love the GeForce FX series, and I love my FX 5700 Ultra!! They are an awesome performing line of cards that have great flexbility and IQ, with a great price, equal to ATI! Why is everyone going around saying: "boo nvidia"? I don't get it! :confused: I love NVIDIA, what is this all about? :(
ROFLMFAO~~~~

Ok, I'll forgive him since he admits up front that he's new. :cool:

True NVIDIA fan
11-17-03, 09:15 PM
Well, NVIDIA seems fine to me, and I can feel they will rise back sky high with their NV40 code-named next-generation chispet in 2004. As for now, I stick with my geforce fx 5700 ultra. w00t! :afro:

ClyssaN
11-17-03, 09:18 PM
If nvidia seems fine, you should read more, stick in this great forum for a while.

If you are happy with your card, thas all that matters.

john19055
11-17-03, 09:26 PM
You must be very new to graphic cards or have'nt read much on them,but the 5700ultra you have is a step in the right direction.

Gator
11-17-03, 09:34 PM
Nvidia has lost their touch after the GF4TI's, the GFFX continues to get it's ass kicked, and these cheating reports certainly don't help them look good. And oh yes, lest we ever forget the loud, expensive, underpowered 5800 :p

Will my next card be Nvidia? Maybe, I gotta see what happens next, for now I'm milking th GF4TI for all I can ;)

StealthHawk
11-17-03, 09:36 PM
Well, NVIDIA seems fine to me, and I can feel they will rise back sky high with their NV40 code-named next-generation chispet in 2004. As for now, I stick with my geforce fx 5700 ultra. w00t! :afro:

Perhaps I'm missing something here...but what does the success of NV40 have to do with NV3x? NV40 won't make NV3x any better.

If NVIDIA has the best card next generation, then great, maybe I'll buy one of their cards. Else I'm sure ATI or PowerVR will deliver some nice interesting products.

The company that has great feedback and seems to care about their customers more right now is ATI, and not NVIDIA. ATI has people openly communicating with people in the forums. They have beta testers for their drivers. They are committed to releasing drivers in a timely manner. They track the bug list that R3D has compiled. Things aren't perfect on the ATI side of course. No one is claiming that. But the attitude they have there is surely something that should be commended. I think they probably have poor developer relations(special cases notwithstanding), and poor PR and marketing.

NVIDIA defintely has one up over ATI with developer relations IMO. Or at least they have traditionally had more support with developers since a bulk of game problems are on the software side and not the driver side for ATI. Whether this boils down to NVIDIA having better dev support in reality than ATI is unknown to me, but that is my perception.

NVIDIA has also recently released two very nice products. The gfFX5700Ultra and the low priced gfFX5900.

Neither ATI nor NVIDIA is perfect. But after the success NVIDIA has enjoyed I expect more from them. ATI is still the learner as far as I'm concerned, even if they hold the most high end market share right now. As other people have said, it's not so much that NVIDIA is bad, it's just that ATI's product lineup this generation is better.

DivotMaker
11-17-03, 09:37 PM
They have always developed leading edge graphics cards that are never a disapointment,

Why is everyone going around saying: "boo nvidia"? I don't get it! :confused: I love NVIDIA, what is this all about? :(

Rip....Rip van Winkle? Is it really you?:D

Seriously though, I am relieved to see that you are new here, but I think if you take the time to read some of the threads from the past, you will see that nVidia has given this and other hardware forums MANY issues to discuss.....

MikeC
11-17-03, 09:39 PM

Stop putting yourself in front of the light I can see right thru you.

ChrisRay
11-17-03, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
Stop putting yourself in front of the light I can see right thru you.

Flame bait...

I disagree with anyone who says the Geforce 4 Ti series was great and the Geforce FX series sucks, The Geforce 4 Ti had its share of problems too. Bad AF performance, It's Multi Sampling AA technique was a joke. Had marginal performance improvements over super sampling. (And the Quality was worse)

At least with the FX cards, The Lesser Quality makes up for it with higher performance.

If you dont believe me. Do a test for yourself. My geforce 4 Ti 4200 is only like 9 FPS slower with 4x Super Sampling and looks 100% better.

But Anyway, The FX line, Is pretty much the exact same as the Geforce 4 Line, With better AA compression, heavily Optimised AF, and some DirectX 9.0 Shaders thrown into the mix. So how can one be good and the other suck?

The Geforce FX is just like a geforce 4 with a few more features alot faster, Thats the way I see it *shrug* The Only difference is. The Geforce FX isnt faster than the competition. And The Geforce 4 was at the time.

Anyway who tells you a Geforce FX card is just terrible crap and no one would want it. isnt thinking objectively. The Cards arent bad, They just for life of them arent as good as the competition.

nForceMan
11-17-03, 09:43 PM
I love NVIDIA, what is this all about? :(

Don't worry. NVIDIA is OK.
You know, there are some hysterical :barf: ATI fanboys here. That's all.

FX5700U is an awesome product. Enjoy it. :jammin:

True NVIDIA fan
11-17-03, 09:46 PM
Yes, I know NVIDIA's overhyped not-so-good slow loud two slot fillling fx 5800 was a disapointement....infact I never bought one because at the time there wasn't a need to, although it did look like quite a nice card. I was using an 8x AGP GeForce 4 ti4200 with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and 512MB of 333mhz DDR-SDRAM, PC2700, etc. I liked my system setup, never really had a problem with. I didn't upgrade to a geforce fx 5600 after reading how it is actually slower than the GeForce 4 TI 4200. I still was pleased with NVIDIA's performance, even after they cheated in 3DMark03, not that that as a big deal, every graphics card company on the market has been caught cheating at least once in the past.

I like my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, and don't see a reason to upgrade to any other card at this moment. Maybe next year, but not this year. I also would like to point out how NVIDIA performs ideal in OpenGL games, and in general, OpenGL is my favorite graphics API. Although their direct-x 9 line of cards have compatbility issues due to the CINEFX arcitecture with the odd custom customizations and optimizations with the unproperly supported FP color, etc, nvidia's geforce fx cards don't work well with next-generation Direct-X 9 games like Half-Life 2 , but seem to work ideal with next-generation OpenGL games like DooM 3. Well, I just hope Direct-X 9.1 will assist NVIDIA as they hopefully may return to the top of the graphics market, since NVIDIA's geforce fx series graphics cards have some specifications that meet Direct-X 9.1

Who knows what'll happen though. NVIDIA may go out of business! :eek: Hopefully that'll never happen! :angel:

ChrisRay
11-17-03, 09:49 PM
I dunno guys, I'm very suspicious reading his posts. He Seems to post things that "are" easy to shoot down. And "are" easily refuted. It's almost as if he's doing it on purpose...

But thats me. I dont trust anyone.

DMA
11-17-03, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I dunno guys, I'm very suspicious reading his posts. He Seems to post things that "are" easy to shoot down. And "are" easily refuted. It's almost as if he's doing it on purpose...

But thats me. I dont trust anyone.

I'm surprised it took so long before someone noticed.

Guess i'm just good at spotting a good 'ol troll :cool:

saturnotaku
11-17-03, 09:56 PM
I like my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, and don't see a reason to upgrade to any other card at this moment. Maybe next year, but not this year. I also would like to point out how NVIDIA performs ideal in OpenGL games, and in general, OpenGL is my favorite graphics API. Although their direct-x 9 line of cards have compatbility issues due to the CINEFX arcitecture with the odd custom customizations and optimizations with the unproperly supported FP color, etc, nvidia's geforce fx cards don't work well with next-generation Direct-X 9 games like Half-Life 2 , but seem to work ideal with next-generation OpenGL games like DooM 3. Well, I just hope Direct-X 9.1 will assist NVIDIA as they hopefully may return to the top of the graphics market, since NVIDIA's geforce fx series graphics cards have some specifications that meet Direct-X 9.1

Everybody...step away from the post...nothing to see here. Just look and navigate elsewhere, this is a highly toxic area.

Razor04
11-17-03, 09:58 PM
Doom 3 is next gen? Last I checked it was equivalent to a DX7 or DX8 game. Sure it looks nice but it was designed around the original GeForce 256's features. Seems to me that isn't even close to being revolutionary.

Oh DX9.1 won't help them either...if it even exists. Let's say that they support one or two things exposed in the next version of DX...do you honestly think they will be able to run it at a useable speed? Probably not basing it off their track record.

They aren't going to go out of business, but for a lot of people including me they need to do more than just put out a kick ass product with the NV40...they need to prove that they aren't lieing to their customers anymore, and remove all the sneaky and low things they have done in their drivers. Only that and a kick ass NV45 or NV50 will make a lot of us consider them again. btw...I love the custom customizations part of your post. :)

hehe I guess I should add that I am not touching this post again lest my IQ decrease substantially each time I view it.

EMunEeE
11-17-03, 10:07 PM
NFORCE 3 Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
512MB of PC3200 DDR-SDRAM DUAL-CHANNEL
NForce 3 onboard audio
Four 36GB WD 15K RPM 16MB cache hard disks
WinXP Home
And er, more...

Damn...nice system...you must have money. But a 5950U or a 9800XT would top if off just right.

True NVIDIA fan
11-17-03, 10:08 PM
Why is my third post so toxic? WTF? If that's a joke, it certainly isn't funny. :mad:

EMunEeE
11-17-03, 10:18 PM
Why is my third post so toxic? WTF? If that's a joke, it certainly isn't funny. :mad:

Its like your in love with a company that has been basically screwing over its users for the past year almost. NVidia no doubt has some great products...but lets take a more objective look at things.

NVidia or any company for that matter will show you love like your showing NVidia.

SocketAzzWipe
11-17-03, 10:35 PM
Well the poll that he/she started speaks for itself.