PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR today?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Vash
11-18-03, 03:29 PM
From what I've read, KOTOR for PC should be out today. I've been waiting for this one since I heard it was in parallel development - and now that it's out today, I have to wait 'cause I don't have any money.

Does anyone know anything that the PC release has that the Xbox might not? Such as DX9 support, a multiplayer component, the possibility of an expansion pack? There's a serious drought of info on the PC version. I've been putzing around reading reviews of the Xbox version instead, just to get a better feel for the game.

Also, has anyone seen it in stores today?

Sotos
11-18-03, 03:41 PM
The PC version of these game will be better from the Xbox version as i have learned

Clay
11-18-03, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Does anyone know anything that the PC release has that the Xbox might not?
Check out this preview over at IGN...should answer your questions. Sounds sweet! :) I can't wait for it either...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/454/454270p1.html

The meat of the changes are described here:
Running at a crisp 1024x768 resolution, the game looks much cleaner than it does on the Xbox. The game supports resolutions up to 1600x1200 (provided your hardware does as well), so you can get even more definition if you like. The framerate seems to have smoothed out a bit since we last saw this game. In any case, it seems to run more smoothly than its Xbox cousin.

The textures are also much improved. During the design process the team created large texture files for the game at 512 and 1024 sizes. For the Xbox version, they had to scale back the textures a bit to preserve space on the disc and meet the hardware capabilities of the Xbox. Now that their finishing up the PC version, the team is able to go back and reuse the larger size textures. Seeing the nice 1024 textures on the Ebon Hawk on the beach of the Unknown World (or is it Unnamed World?), you get a real sense of how much prettier this game can be on the PC.

Edge
11-19-03, 12:28 AM
It sounds like there will just be minor graphic enhancements and higher resolution, not really a big deal. Gameplay wise I don't think they're adding anything, though they say that they've thought of adding downloadable extras to both versions of the game. Though the higher resolutions will be nice, the Xbox version seem overly jaggerific. In fact I'm almost wondering if it was even running at 640x480...

Nephilim
11-19-03, 01:02 AM
You forgot this bit here...

Since so much of the game is the same across both platforms, we're only going to be talking about the differences between the two versions. As we suspected, the PC version has better graphics and a slightly different interface. What we didn't expect was that the game would actually offer some new content in the form of new items and an entirely new area.

Edge
11-19-03, 03:17 AM
Oh, well that's kinda cool. Is that the same thing that they were thinking of adding to the Xbox version through downloadable content? There was a rumor going around a while ago that an entirely new PLANET was going to be availible as a free download, but that sounded more then a little far-fetched.

Nephilim
11-19-03, 04:48 AM
According to the article the new area is the space station orbiting Yavin (from Episode 1, apparently, but I don't remember it).

Vash
11-19-03, 08:00 AM
Sweet, definitely sweet. Now I just have to find me the $$ to get it.

Update - there's a (p)review on Gamespy today. Going to read...

Sledge
11-19-03, 09:19 AM
The Software Etc. I called yesterday said it should be here today. I'll have to call them again. Can't wait to play it.

Sledge
11-20-03, 08:28 AM
I have it now. I wasn't able to play it for long because of a power outage last night. It's an interesting blend of 3rd person shooter and RPG (w/ a heavy emphasis on RPG). The game has a very cinematic feel to it. Bucketloads of cutscenes, some done in engine, some prerendered movies. I'll be getting into it more tonight but so far I'm impressed.

Riptide
11-20-03, 09:20 AM
<sigh> :(

So many games... So little time.

CaptNKILL
11-20-03, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Sledge
I have it now. I wasn't able to play it for long because of a power outage last night. It's an interesting blend of 3rd person shooter and RPG (w/ a heavy emphasis on RPG). The game has a very cinematic feel to it. Bucketloads of cutscenes, some done in engine, some prerendered movies. I'll be getting into it more tonight but so far I'm impressed.
Does the combat actually play like a shooter? Or is it point and click style? And please tell me its not turn based.

This game looks really cool to me, but I absolutely hate boring combat... it has to be interactive.

Clay
11-20-03, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Does the combat actually play like a shooter? Or is it point and click style? And please tell me its not turn based.

This game looks really cool to me, but I absolutely hate boring combat... it has to be interactive.
I could be wrong but I think it's a sort of interactive/turn-based hybrid. I wish there was a PC demo. I think the review over at IGN covers the gameplay pretty well if you want more details.

Nephilim
11-20-03, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by IGN
We've all been anxious to see the new interface and, though the one we saw today may still be tweaked here and there, it gives us a good indication of where the team is headed. The movement of your character is handled via the traditional WASD format while the mouse controls the camera and interacts with the environment. Simply bump the mouse against the edge of the screen (well, technically the mouse cursor, not your actual mouse) and the camera will rotate around. Hover over an item and a helpful context-sensitive icon will pop up, letting you know, for instance, that a door is a thing to be opened, not a thing to talk to. Tab switches from one character to another while the space bar pauses the game.

Edge
11-20-03, 04:52 PM
Just think of the game as Neverwinter Nights in the Starwars universe. It DOES use the same engine, after all (though I'm not sure if they were talking about graphic engine or just combat engine).

CaptNKILL
11-20-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim

Whats that tell me about combat :wtf:

Sledge
11-20-03, 09:28 PM

Point and click.

indio
11-21-03, 10:11 AM
How bout some screenshots from a GFFX using soft shadow and without :)
Also what is the performance like on GFFX?

Sledge
11-21-03, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by indio
How bout some screenshots from a GFFX using soft shadow and without :)
Also what is the performance like on GFFX?

On my machine (see below) there are no slowdowns with maximum detail at 1600x1200x32 (no AA or AF). The detail is amazing. For example you can see individual bumps and welts on the rancor's skin. Lots of people walking around on the city levels (as well as flying ships). The best word to describe the game is "immersive". The more I play it the more I like it.

Clay
11-21-03, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Sledge
On my machine (see below) there are no slowdowns with maximum detail at 1600x1200x32 (no AA or AF). The detail is amazing. For example you can see individual bumps and welts on the rancor's skin. Lots of people walking around on the city levels (as well as flying ships). The best word to describe the game is "immersive". The more I play it the more I like it.

Great feedback, thanks! Now, howsabout a screenshot? :)

malachi1313
11-21-03, 04:21 PM
It is turnbased, it has a compelling story, it is beautiful, and it is ADDICTIVE. Best RPG I've everplayed!!!!

indio
11-21-03, 05:42 PM
I have the game , I know it's good , if not great . I just wanna see some soft shadow screenshots and maybe some showing framerate screenshots.please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chalnoth
11-23-03, 04:44 PM
The combat is more pseudo turn-based. You can pause at any time you choose to issue commands.

Anyway, aside from the occasional interface bug (every once in a while I am unable to issue commands in battle, and sometimes I'm unable to loot certain objects...this has happened about three times in 25 or so hours of playing), it's a pretty bug-free game.

The experience/leveling system is very similar to Neverwinter Nights, which uses the AD&D 3rd edition rules (it should seem even more familiar to any that have played the pen and paper Star Wars RPG).

And how fun is it? Very.

It's got a decent storyline (well, a good one for a game, but it's still cheesy), is very engaging, and fighting with a lightsaber is just awesome. I'm playing through the game for the second time now. I'd better get back to it :)

The Baron
11-23-03, 04:49 PM
But no multiplayer?

Hmmmm. I've already got one Star Wars RPG... but it's an MMO game. Could always use another :p

PenguinJim
11-24-03, 06:13 AM
Wheeeeeeeeeee!!! It's a fun game!

Every once in a while, I can suddenly 'see' that it's like a zoomed-in Neverwinter Nights. Hell, the bad guys even leave 'remains' and there's a similar interface for doors and chests for the two games. Come to think of it, the items aren't dissimilar either (I just some some Gauntlets of Strength, lol).

But it is a very different game, and it's Star Wars!!! Lots of magnificent cut-scenes and a very cute droid. Now I'm off to recreate the movies by finding him a boyfriend....

:p